Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #1

SUN #3028
Bakediddy is an unknown quantity at this point
2000 T2753 Battery

Can someone confirm what color the leads are that go to the battery on the tounge? I bought this unit wrecked on the battery was not hooked up. There is a red wire which I know is positive, then there is a white wire, is this the ground? Or does the white wire also go to positive and I am missing a black ground somewhere?

Also, obvioulsy I know the microwave and AC wouldn't run off the battery but should all the inside lights, radio, pump, and fridge (with LP gas) work off the battery correct?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
On most of the Sunlines I have worked on, they always used white for the ground wire(s). If you pull down a light, or 12v accessory, black is always positive and white is negative.

P.S. I haven't forgotten about the awning parts and will try to get them after work, Monday.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 04:58 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakediddy View Post
Can someone confirm what color the leads are that go to the battery on the tounge? I bought this unit wrecked on the battery was not hooked up. There is a red wire which I know is positive, then there is a white wire, is this the ground? Or does the white wire also go to positive and I am missing a black ground somewhere?

Also, obvioulsy I know the microwave and AC wouldn't run off the battery but should all the inside lights, radio, pump, and fridge (with LP gas) work off the battery correct?

Thanks in advance.
Red is positive, white is negative at the battery. If you trace the 10 gauge white wire, it should be connected direct to the frame at some point. That is ground. For some reason, in many RV's white is ground in place of black.

HOWEVER, some appliances installed in RV's may use the more traditional red and black so care is important.

Interior/Exterior lighting, radio, pump, half the fridge (other half uses 110vac in most rigs), vent over the stove, and the control circuit for the hot water heater are all 12vdc.

Some of the convertors can run the trailer without the battery installed, and some can not. Regardless of which you have, it is always a good idea to have the battery installed and operational to protect the system while in use.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Some of the later switching power supplies (converter charges) require that the white wire to go directly to the "-" on the converter in turn the converter case is frame grounded and there is a ground buss for all of the white wires. Sunline is nice in the fact that all of the wiring is a home run meaning that every thing is grounded separately at a grounding buss some where near the fuse for that circuit they do not rely on point grounding to a frame it’s a true two wire circut. Sunline is black+ and white - just like a house the acc. they are attached to may have their own ideal on what is what.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #5

SUN #3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
P.S. I haven't forgotten about the awning parts and will try to get them after work, Monday.

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #6

SUN #3028
All is working well! Red to positive and white to negative... My problem was that fuse under the couch was blown... Thanks to the helpful members here I dug up a thread that sent me on the search for that fuse and it was the culprit! Got the fridge working off the LP gas now...