Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

SUN #1591
GKLarson is an unknown quantity at this point
2 minor maintenance issues

As an "all thumbs guy" I'm back seeking more help from the many much handier folks here ...........

Radio in my '06 T1950 gets lousy reception even w/ antenna deployed. Wife reports that there's a big tangle of wires behind the radio that get in way & pushed around when she tries to store things there. Assume that's the 1st place I should look to try & find the problem. Thinking perhaps the antenna lead's been loosened/disconnected ? Anything else I should look for to explain & fix the bad reception ?

Issue #2 While pulling into a very tight campsite driver's side wheels went over a hump tilting top of trailer opposite way into tree & damaged Dometic awning torsion assembly left hand cap end, part # 3108017.009. Wrote to Dometic & their terse reply was "that part is no longer available" Any idea on a source for a replacement ? I've bent it back so awning rolls up & down but my "cobb job" fix looks a bit unsightly.

Thanx for any help/advice

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
06 T-1950, our 6 months/yr traveling home
one of numerous canoes
GKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #2

SUN #1591
Well, I pulled the radio out & all the wires especially the antenna are very well-connected so guess it's another issue causing lousy reception

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
one of numerous canoes
Old 09-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Glenn, the antenna up on the roof should be the old style with a spring loaded base. There is a mechanical connection just below that, kind of like two halves of a ball. One is part of the base and the other is the bottom of the antenna assembly. They are held together with a single screw.

Both are made out of cast metal which is then chrome plated. The whole thing is very susceptible to corrosion and/or oxidation. Carefully loosen and remove the screw. The antenna should come away from the base. Clean everything real well so that you have bright metal contacting bright metal. Then coat everything with a light coating of dielectric grease and reassemble.

Also, the antenna connection into the radio is subject to oxidation. Remove and reinsert it several times to "wipe" it clean.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #4

SUN #1591
Steve
Just saw your reply
Immediately set up step ladder to get @ antenna & it's as you say
When I removed the screw holding 2 halves of "ball" together I see lots of discolorization/corrosion/oxidation. Also removed that vertical screw that was revealed under "ball" to expose the male end of antenna lead. It looks shiney & uncoroded but I'l put some dielectric grease there also, reassmble & report back ..............
In meantime thanx

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
one of numerous canoes
Old 09-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

SUN #1591
OK Steel-wooled, then dielecric greased both halves of "ball" assembly on roof & screw holding them together. Also steel-wooled, & repeatedly removed & reinserted antenna connection to radio
Local reception sounds good, but when I test it against the reception received from radio in my truck parked just in front of trailer on more remote station, results are discouraging. Truck radio sounds crystal clear, while trailer radio has lotsa background static.
Is this a fair test ? Truck radio is a high cost/ no choice, factory installed JBL unit whereas trailer radio seems lesser quality
Sure would be nice to listen to Prairie Home Companion from comfort of our Sunline this Winter while boondocking rather than sitting in truck

Glen & Kathleen
06 4.7L Tundra
one of numerous canoes
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
Glenn, the antenna up on the roof should be the old style with a spring loaded base. There is a mechanical connection just below that, kind of like two halves of a ball. One is part of the base and the other is the bottom of the antenna assembly. They are held together with a single screw.

Both are made out of cast metal which is then chrome plated. The whole thing is very susceptible to corrosion and/or oxidation. Carefully loosen and remove the screw. The antenna should come away from the base. Clean everything real well so that you have bright metal contacting bright metal. Then coat everything with a light coating of dielectric grease and reassemble.

Also, the antenna connection into the radio is subject to oxidation. Remove and reinsert it several times to "wipe" it clean.
Excellent advice, Steve. When Sunline moved these antennae from the off door side sidewall to the roof around 1995, they became much less frequently cleaned and much more easily forgotten.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:44 PM   #7

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKLarson View Post
... Is this a fair test ? Truck radio is a high cost/ no choice, factory installed JBL unit whereas trailer radio seems lesser quality ...
Yes, I think it is a fair test and I think your observation is correct, sadly.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Yes, I think it is a fair test and I think your observation is correct, sadly.
When the original radio from our '99 crapped out, I looked around a little at other RV specific units, hoping for a bargain. Lucky for me, that free radio out of an '02 Grand Cherokee came along. Much better sound and reception.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #9

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
I had a '00 Jeep GC and that was one nice sounding radio. I don't know if the '02 was the same brand but I expect it probably was.

(BTW: Nice to see you back Steve. )

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote