Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-08-2019, 09:36 AM   #1

SUN #10153
Aariel is an unknown quantity at this point
1997 Solaris T2653 leaking under chassis

Underneath the travel trailer, just under the edge and behind where you attach the water hose, there is a substantial leak of water to the ground. It leaks when I turn on the hose water. The area that's leaking is covered with a long rubber flap about a foot wide that goes from the front of the camper toward the rear. The water drips out from under the rubber. I guess something is rusted out in there. Does anybody know a way to get at this section just without actually cutting the rubber away?

Thank you

Old 04-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #2

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
It’s probably a broken fitting or hose. You might be able to access it from inside the camper.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #3

SUN #10153
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
It’s probably a broken fitting or hose. You might be able to access it from inside the camper.

Thanks Johnnybgood, I'll see if I can find anything inside ...
Old 04-08-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Aariel,

From the location, it sounds like the leak is coming from near where your low point drains exit the floor of the trailer. There are two valves underneath the couch area that are turned to drain the water system. If this wasn't done last fall, there could be more major leak issues.

Hopefully it's just the valve was left open or part way open that causes the leak. Have you noticed the carpet wet inside or water on the floor near the couch area? If so, that could indicate a possible pinhole or break in the water line near the low point valve. Because there are two holes in the floor for those low points, a water leak right in that area can drain outside pretty quickly.

It's also possible that if the water line was accidentally picked up, the low point drain tube could be lifted up some, causing water to drain into the underbelly instead of directly outside onto the ground.

I really highly suggest not cutting the plastic membrane on the bottom of the trailer unless absolutely necessary. The water lines aren't down there, they are all above the floor, so you wouldn't gain much by cutting. However, if you do need to, there is a special patch tape available to seal it back up.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #5

SUN #10153
Thank you, Sunline Fan. There is no moisture inside the camper. I did already cut the plastic membrane. The insulation there is soaked, smells of antifreeze, and some of the wood is also soaked. It appears that there is water coming from the hose entry point around the flange ... possibly dripping down the exterior and getting inside?

How can I look under the couch? It pulls out and goes back, but I don't know how to see under it. I never learned of any drain valves under the couch and so have not touched them. Thanks again for your reply.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:41 AM   #6

SUN #10153
Located leak on hose intake line

Hello Sunline or any others: I have located the leak! Outside the camper, I removed the screws from the flange around the hose intake and pulled on the pipe so you could see more of it. It is leaking right there, just inside the wall of the camper, where the metal water pipe screws into the gray plastic camper pipe. How do I fix that? How can I access? I have pictures .. trying to post. In the first one I'm pointing the the place that is leaking.

How can I possibly get to this leaky attachment to fix it? From inside ... slide into the space where the drawer under the fridge goes? I don't think so...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Hi Aariel,

From the location, it sounds like the leak is coming from near where your low point drains exit the floor of the trailer. There are two valves underneath the couch area that are turned to drain the water system. If this wasn't done last fall, there could be more major leak issues.

Hopefully it's just the valve was left open or part way open that causes the leak. Have you noticed the carpet wet inside or water on the floor near the couch area? If so, that could indicate a possible pinhole or break in the water line near the low point valve. Because there are two holes in the floor for those low points, a water leak right in that area can drain outside pretty quickly.

It's also possible that if the water line was accidentally picked up, the low point drain tube could be lifted up some, causing water to drain into the underbelly instead of directly outside onto the ground.

I really highly suggest not cutting the plastic membrane on the bottom of the trailer unless absolutely necessary. The water lines aren't down there, they are all above the floor, so you wouldn't gain much by cutting. However, if you do need to, there is a special patch tape available to seal it back up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV water leak by hose 1.jpg (47.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg RV Water Leak by Hose from inside longshot.jpg (69.7 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg RV Water Leak by Hose inside assembly.jpg (30.0 KB, 8 views)
Old 04-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #7

SUN #10153
Located leak on hose intake line

Hello Sunline or any others: I have located the leak! Outside the camper, I removed the screws from the flange around the hose intake and pulled on the pipe so you could see more of it. It is leaking right there, just inside the wall of the camper, where the metal water pipe screws into the gray plastic camper pipe. How do I fix that? How can I access? I have pictures .. trying to post. In the first one I'm pointing the the place that is leaking.

How can I possibly get to this leaky attachment to fix it? From inside ... slide into the space where the drawer under the fridge goes? I don't think so...

Thanks for any suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Hi Aariel,

Old 04-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

SUN #123
Great job Aariel! That city water inlet piece, being brass, is an odd part to fail in itself.

When you pulled out that part from the outside, is that as far as it would go? From your last picture, it looks like it has some room to pull out through the wall.

Now for the big question- if the leak is around the gray nut, is the gray nut just loose, or is it cracked? If the nut itself is cracked, that could be a big problem given the location, like you said. If it's just loose, I would unscrew the brass part from the nut, add some teflon plumbing tape to the threads, and tighten it back on there. If both of those seem fine, don't rule out a small pinhole in the water line behind the fitting too.

If the nut is cracked and won't tighten, the only option is to push the nut back a little, cut the very end of the pipe off, and put a new nut and fitting on the end. The good news is, these plumbing parts should be pretty readily available at a home improvement or hardware store. Replacement is the only option for this nut if it's cracked- don't try to tape or glue it because that won't hold with water pressure.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 04-10-2019, 07:06 PM   #9

SUN #10153
Thanks, Sunline Fan. I just reposted with some new pictures before I saw your reply. The city water inlet piece is fine. There is a bit of pipe between it and the gray nut. I actually saw, observing from inside the camper under the fridge, water dripping from this bit of pipe. I will check tomorrow to see if the gray nut is cracked or if it can be loosened. I am relieved to have a plan; thank you for the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RV Outdoor water fill pulled out.jpg (68.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg RV Hose Leak 1 enhanced - 1.jpg (57.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #10

SUN #123
Hi Aariel,

Yeah, the piece of pipe there could definitely be the problem. Mine developed a pinhole right in the middle of the plastic for no apparent reason too. The good news is, that's a pretty easy fix.

If it is a leak in the actual water line, once the brass part has been removed from the outside, you should be able to pull that line in the trailer and get it a little closer to you so you can reach it from the cabinet. Then, you'll need a "Flair-it" fitting, a basic straight union piece, from the hardware store. You'll cut the water line right around the split and then reconnect it with the union part. Then, you should be able to reconnect the brass city water inlet and repressurize the system.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Flair-It-8783...7828461&chn=ps

When you're all done with this, you should also consider adding some new butyl tape to the city water inlet. You can get this from an RV dealer or Camping World. The old stuff is probably kinda hard and won't reseal real well. New tape will ensure a good seal to the outside of the trailer again.

If the nut is the problem, for ease of repair, you could probably use the same process above and just add a replacement nut onto the end of the water line before you reconnect.
Old 04-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #11

SUN #123
Hi Aariel,

Almost forgot- to repair your underbelly. If you have soaked insulation, since you've already cut the fabric, you should probably pull out what you can and replace it. With the wood and plastic there, it won't have a chance to dry out naturally.

Once insulation is good, this is what you should use to repair the cuts in the fabric. It's made out of a similar material as the underbelly and is super sticky so it'll be a permanent fix. It won't dry out and peel off like if you used duct tape.

https://www.amazon.com/V-P-Products-.../dp/B0009LIE6M

It's a little pricey, but from what I understand, it's well worth it.

I'm also told it's very thin and very sticky, so be careful when you go to put it on. Don't unroll and cut a huge piece off because you may have it fold over itself and not work.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:09 AM   #12

SUN #10153
Thanks Sunline Fan. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #13

SUN #2943
Tod Osier is an unknown quantity at this point
All good advice above. Unscrew the part and put it together on the inside to find the exact leak if you are not 100 percent on the location.

I’d put a fan on the wet area to speed drying if you can.

2006 Sunline T-1950
2019 Ford F-250
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tod Osier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #14

SUN #10153
Thanks Tod, good ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod Osier View Post
All good advice above. Unscrew the part and put it together on the inside to find the exact leak if you are not 100 percent on the location.

I’d put a fan on the wet area to speed drying if you can.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:07 AM   #15

SUN #10153
I am thrilled to report that I fixed the leak yesterday. Thank you so much for the guidance! The plastic nut and hose were fine. I replaced the gaskets in the brass water intake piece and wrapped all the threaded pipes with teflon tape and voila! No leak. Now just to seal it all back up again before it rains! Thanks very much again.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 PM   #16

SUN #123
Great job!! Glad it's all fixed up now!

Tags
leak under camper