Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #1

SUN #9176
bvanalstine is an unknown quantity at this point
1994 T2670 Wheel bearings

We have a 1994 t2670 that has been sitting in a back lot for about 7 years. We are getting ready to put her back on the road and I was wanting to install new wheel bearings. My local RV shop cannot look them up apparently, does anyone know what bearings I need?

Thank you in advance!

Brian VanAlstine

Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Brian,

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club! Glad you found us.

I'll see if I can help. I do not have your exact model but had one similar prior to our current larger camper.

I looked up in the 1994 brochure, (you have access to this too, look at the top of the forum for a "FILES" tab, click it and look in the brochure section for your camper, download a copy) And it lists a 94, T2670 as having a 7,000# GVWR.

Odds are high, you have qty, 2, 3,500# axles. They would have 10" x 2 1/4" brakes and 5 lug wheels.

You might have Dexter or Alko axles. While the brake parts are not exactly interchangeable the brake drums are.

Here is the Dexter Axle service manual. See page 81 for the bearings sizes. (PDF page 82) Look under 10 x 2 1/4 brakes 5 bolt hub and the 3,500# (3.5K) axle. They give the Dexter part number and the generic part number of the bearing and race for the inner bearing and the outer bearing.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau....pdf?sfvrsn=18

And here is the Alko, now owned by Dexter. PDF page 13 and 14 show the bearings for the 10" x 2 1/4 brakes on different lug stud bolt circles. But all the bearings are the same. In the Alko catalog they only give you the bearing number, the new races are pressed in the brake drum. But the bearings are the same as the Dexters above I linked.
http://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defau....pdf?sfvrsn=10

You can go to an Auto Parts store with the industry standard cup and bearing cone part numbers and get these bearings. I have bought them at NAPA autoparts.

You will need the grease seal too. Make sure you get the double seal with the garter spring inside.

And if you go back to that RV dealer and tell them you have a 3,500# Dexter axle with 10 x 21/4" brakes, he can look them up too. Or give him the numbers out of the Dexter book. Most RV dealers who where never Sunline dealers do not know what we have, but if you tell them the axle mfg and size, they can help many times.

This post may help on your rebuild. This is on my 2004 T2499 I had which has the same axle as yours. I never made it to creating this post on Sunline Club. Annual Brake Inspection and Axle Re - Lube (Pic's)

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 02:43 PM   #3

SUN #9176
John,
Thank you so very much for all the information you provided! This is a huge help. I am nervous about the bearings as she has been sitting for several years now. The TT was my father in-laws and he kept pretty good care of it prior to parking it. We will be taking a trip to Yellowstone in about 3 weeks, leaving from Baltimore, MD. Again, I appreciate the details, and your brake inspection post was fantastic!

Brian and Amy
Old 06-02-2017, 05:53 PM   #4

SUN #89
Hi Brian,

You are very welcome. Yes, I too would be concerned with the camper sitting that long about taking a trip that far without checking them.

You may find when you take it apart, the bearings themselves may be OK. If there are no pits in the rollers or races or rust of any kind (rust is bad in this case) then you can clean them out of the old grease and repack with new fresh grease and install a new grease seal.

Sometimes when these bearing sit for so long, moisture can get in from condensation and any exposed part of the bearing may actually start to rust. It there is rust anywhere on the bearings, just change them. The pits rust leaves behind if it is on a race or roller is a bearing failure waiting to happen.

Have a good trip and anything else you need help on the camper, let us know. This is the place to come to for Sunline camper info. Odds are high one of us have been through what you are up against.

John

Old 06-04-2017, 02:18 PM   #5

SUN #9176
As an update....
Drivers side bearings were in perfect condition. Repacked and re-assembled.
Passenger side rear outer bearing was in pieces. Metal shavings, and ground up metal. Surprisingly the races are smooth and seem fine.

I have purchased the following kit:

Outer Bearing - L44649
Outer Race - L44610
Inner Bearing - L68149
Inner Race - L68111
Seal - 10-19
Seal I.D. - 1.719"
Seal O.D. - 2.565"

The entire kit was $12.27 plus shipping / wheel.

Thank you again for all the information! We have some marker lights to replace and we are road ready for our trip!
Old 06-04-2017, 07:17 PM   #6

SUN #89
Hi Brian,

WOW, Great!!!!

Ouch, ground up metal and shavings.... pat yourself on the back now for checking this out before hitting the road. That would a been a bad day camping when the hub would gone out and hoping it would of not scored up the axle in the process. Wow, was that a good find!!!

When you get the new bearings, in case you where not planing to do it anyway, change the races at the same time you put a new bearing cone in. The old one has some level of wear on it, the angle is slightly different, or the diameter even though by eye it looks good it will not match the exact angle of the new bearing. These cup and cone tapered bearings should always be changed as a matched set.

Etrailer keeps growing in size of the stuff they offer. I have been buying hitch and trailer parts from them since 2003 when they where starting out. Always great service, good products and good price.

Thanks for reporting back and have a good trip!

John