Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Technical Forums > Repairs and Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-14-2007, 06:56 AM   #1

SUN #473
River
1985 Trailer - where is the valve?

I keep reading that I should have a fresh water tank release valve and I have no clue where it is.

And there always seems to be water laying in the tub drain - is that normal? I mean I can look down the drain and see it.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
River,

The fresh tank drain looks like this:

On the coach, it looks like this. Mine broke, so that's why it's missing the stopper piece. The color may vary between coach year too, so yours is probably tan:

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #3

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1985 Trailer - where is the valve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by River
I keep reading that I should have a fresh water tank release valve and I have no clue where it is.

And there always seems to be water laying in the tub drain - is that normal? I mean I can look down the drain and see it.
The fresh water tank release valve should be on the outside of the trailer in close proximity to the fresh water tank. So where ever the tank, look on the outside wall.

Yes, there is supposed to be be water in the tub drain. It is an S-trap and that is what keeps the holding tank odors from backing up into the living space of the trailer. (In winter, replace that water with RV antifreeze!)

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:00 PM   #4

SUN #473
River
Oh I found the valve all right!

Yesterday at lunch, the curiousity of finding the thing was killing me, so I ran over there at lunch time.

Sure enough, on the back side, or opposite of the door, between the two wheels, way up under there - was a white cap. Not a valve, a cap.
I reeeached and start screwing - out pours PINK! Probably from the previous owner winterizing it last year and me never un winterizing it. So I panic to screw it back on, which is hard now that my hand is soaked.

I wanted to get it back on because that was the whole purpose of emptying it - so I could fill it with antifreeze, right?

I had always known I could see about an inch or two of pink through the see-through blue of the fresh water tank, but at times I actually thought it was just a stain.

And I'm right that this is not enough in the tank to get moving with the pump right? or could I winterize from here?

I also took a rachet set from our local mechanic for the hot water heater outlet but it was too small. There was some pretty white teflon tape around the fittings too - fresh from just last year? Anyways, I have a bigger rachet set now and will try again, maybe tomorrow - today it was raining!

One more thing, I never hooked up the propane this year to anything. The tanks were empty and at one point I even removed them from the front because of a too close camp fire - Being a first timer and the camper being so old, the idea of having a pilot light near my rear as I sleep scares me

Comments welcomed

Oh and after all that - I hurry back to work and get a speeding ticket!!!
Old 11-15-2007, 04:59 PM   #5

SUN #256
Bobo
River,

There's one way to find out if there is enough antifreeze in the tank. Run the pump. The pump will run fast at first due to air in the system . When the fluid reaches the pump, you will hear the pump slow a bit and bear down. If it continues to run fast, it is not recieving the fluid.

As for the drain plug on the water heater, I am assuming that the plug styles have not changed over the years. It will take a 15/16 wrench or socket. I had to teflon tape my threads to stop dripping. And that was brand new.

As for the propane, if your campfire was that close, the coach would be damaged before the tanks heat to the point that they will bypass to relieve pressure. Also, check the valve knobs on the tanks. They have to be triangular in shape. This designates that the proper valve is installed on the tank. If you have the old round style, they can not be refilled by law. You will have to pay to have them disposed of or trade them in for an upgrade, usually for a extra charge. Around here, the going rate to swap for a full upgrade tank is about $50.

Hope this helps.

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote