Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Truck Campers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 01-29-2012, 04:34 AM   #1

SUN #3282
jimf is an unknown quantity at this point
Water stain on bed

Hi Folks,
I have a 1988 Sunline c-802 Runabout. It has a water stain on the left side of the bed frame, and the left cornor seems to have extensive rot under the small shelf in the same area.

Should I start by removing the window and resealing.
Thanks,
Jim

Old 01-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
An investigation is for sure in order before you end up in a situation while out camping. Especially if it is structural.

Once you start digging, be prepared for what might come. You may get lucky or into a lot of rebuild. All doable if you are handy with wood working and about the only practical way to afford it.

Pic's in these cases go a long way to see what you are up against.

Good luck and we can help as we can with at least ideas and sources of components and how many of us have overcome similar issues.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yup, the truck campers often rot in the front corners of the bed on the bottom. They start leaking and the water drains there. Either from it sitting stored nose down or the nose just angles down naturally, I'm not sure.

I can guarantee you that you'll find more rot than what you see. It certainly is repairable though. Sometimes it's just a little more rot, sometimes it's a lot. But it's always somewhat worse than it looks because a lot happens underneath before any visible damage happens to the interior panel where you can see it.

I would start by pulling the bed out and pulling up some of that wood and the wall panel. Also get all the wet insulation out, as far as you can find it wet. Then depending on the rot situation, you'll have to pull the outside aluminum off. It shouldn't be hard- it's just stapled on at the joists. Start on the bottom where the bunk part meets the main part of the camper and work forward. The aluminum interlocks. Get off what you need and loosen/remove what's needed on the sides as well. You will have to remove the corner trim molding too before you can pull the aluminum off. It probably has a screw cover in the channel (though it may have deteriorated through the years- it's just plastic). Pull the screw cover out, then remove all those screws and pull back on the channel. It is sealed with something called putty tape, so you will have a little resistance when pulling, but it shouldn't be tough unless someone added something else to seal through the years.

Good luck with your project, and let us know if you have any questions.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #4

SUN #3282
jimf is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the input, here are some photos. Not sure what to do with the side walls, I hate to try to re do the paneling

not sure how to add photos... Am I am done trying today

Go pats