Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Truck Campers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 12-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #1

SUN #11689
TheHunter is an unknown quantity at this point
Hydro flame LB-11L furnace?

Pilot light will light briefly but go out so I believe it's the thermo coupler but unsure and if anyone knows which one to buy I'd sure appreciate info

Furnace will not light but I assume it's due to coupler but after looking at things I'm wondering if I'm not missing a wire or something just below red knob on valve as there's an empty screw hole.

Another thing I noticed is the 2 thermostat wires attach at the little fan but what I don't understand is that fan is basically it's own unit, nothing wired into the furnace valve so how is that going to control furnace temps or maybe thats the wire I'm missing. It seems like the furnace would just run wide open as is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201211_160832397.jpg (100.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201211_160823604.jpg (106.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201211_160809685.jpg (96.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20201211_160748945.jpg (97.7 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201211-170631.jpg (83.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20201211-170605.jpg (75.5 KB, 5 views)

Old 12-11-2020, 04:03 PM   #2

SUN #5443
krazedave is an unknown quantity at this point
I have never worked on that series furnace but if there is no thermostat calling for heat the furnace would not run. It would only run if you had a thermostat connected to it. You could jump the wires together and see if that would fire up the furnace and then it would run wide open as you said.

Old 12-11-2020, 04:39 PM   #3

SUN #11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazedave View Post
I have never worked on that series furnace but if there is no thermostat calling for heat the furnace would not run. It would only run if you had a thermostat connected to it. You could jump the wires together and see if that would fire up the furnace and then it would run wide open as you said.
Yeah I'm thinking one of those thermostat wires should be connected to bottom of valve where that missing screw is to work off the thermostat but not sure yet of that and can't find a diagram similar to mine
Old 12-11-2020, 07:03 PM   #4

SUN #11695
Kxracer704 is an unknown quantity at this point
Your furnace is VERY similar to my Hydro Flame HF-16 (model year 1977). I have not been able to find any literature on the furnaces like ours, but I have a YouTube video refurbishing my furnace LINK HERE that may help you out. Here is another video I show my furnace briefly after i got it hooked up and installed in the camper.

For the 2 thermostat screws, mine are only wired to the thermostat and thats it. My fan system seems to be simpler than yours because I only have a hot and ground from battery to the fan and it is its own unit with a heat sensor. My gas valve has no battery power coming in, it is all mechanical and uses the gas pressure, thermocouple, and thermostat only.

BTW, if you can find a replacement thermocouple (thermopile) for this style furnace, let me know. I was unable to find a replacement. I just made mine work with stove cement which I don't think will last forever.

Hope this helps!

-Jay
Old 12-12-2020, 06:02 AM   #5

SUN #11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kxracer704 View Post
Your furnace is VERY similar to my Hydro Flame HF-16 (model year 1977). I have not been able to find any literature on the furnaces like ours, but I have a YouTube video refurbishing my furnace LINK HERE that may help you out. Here is another video I show my furnace briefly after i got it hooked up and installed in the camper.

For the 2 thermostat screws, mine are only wired to the thermostat and thats it. My fan system seems to be simpler than yours because I only have a hot and ground from battery to the fan and it is its own unit with a heat sensor. My gas valve has no battery power coming in, it is all mechanical and uses the gas pressure, thermocouple, and thermostat only.

BTW, if you can find a replacement thermocouple (thermopile) for this style furnace, let me know. I was unable to find a replacement. I just made mine work with stove cement which I don't think will last forever.

Hope this helps!

-Jay
Your video actually helped a ton. In your video your thermostat wires are wired to the gas valve, I believe correct for mine also, mine are wired into the fan for some reason which does nothing for the furnace kicking in and out.

There's several small stores in my area that have stuff on the shelves from probably the 70's lol so if they have 2 couplers laying there I'll buy both and send yeah one
Old 12-12-2020, 08:10 AM   #6

SUN #11695
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
Your video actually helped a ton. In your video your thermostat wires are wired to the gas valve, I believe correct for mine also, mine are wired into the fan for some reason which does nothing for the furnace kicking in and out.

There's several small stores in my area that have stuff on the shelves from probably the 70's lol so if they have 2 couplers laying there I'll buy both and send yeah one
I'm glad the video helped out. If you need a more detailed video of the gas valve function and wiring, let me know and I'll post a new video showing that. PM me if you happen to find thermo couplers.

Thanks,
Jay
Old 12-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #7

SUN #11689
Well no luck yet on a thermo couple, I'll have to start calling places or find someone junking a camper with hopefully the same setup. It'll be a shame if I gotta replace this one as everything else looks in good shape
Old 12-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #8

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
I can't find much on your LB-11L furnace but I did find this.
https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorh...el-lb-11l.html

Not sure if it helps any, just passing it along. It seems your model is from the 70's. Come the 80's they had other models like the FA-72, HF-77, FA-79, which there are tech manuals for.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 05:49 AM   #9

SUN #11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post

Not sure if it helps any, just passing it along. It seems your model is from the 70's. Come the 80's they had other models like the FA-72, HF-77, FA-79, which there are tech manuals for.

John
I actually read that once, thanks though. I thought it was a 1980 camper and one of the panels I replaced had 79 stamped on it but I'm wondering if the previous owner didn't swap out the furnace for one of his other projects cause all screws on furnace and exhaust were loose and he mentioned he liked rebuilding these things.

I ordered a therma couple that looks similar, hopefully it works but if not I'll just use my buddy heater if needed. It does a great job even on low setting and to keep the temperature from getting too hot inside I have to keep a window half open so that along with my co detector I feel pretty safe using it
Old 12-16-2020, 06:01 AM   #10

SUN #11695
Quote:

John
John, I believe your link is broken
Old 12-16-2020, 11:05 AM   #11

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
John, I believe your link is broken
H'mm, let me try again. It fired off from my PC.

https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorh...xDXU0DmPNrCBB4

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #12

SUN #11689
Quote:
H'mm, let me try again. It fired off from my PC.

https://www.justanswer.com/rv-motorh...xDXU0DmPNrCBB4
First one worked for me
Old 12-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #13

SUN #11695
Ok I got the link to work. Thanks John!
Old 12-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #14

SUN #9512
jim m is an unknown quantity at this point
Try cleaning the thermocouple with a wire brush. Someties just the accumulation of carbon will prevent the pilot from staying lit.
Old 12-18-2020, 04:16 AM   #15

SUN #11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim m View Post
Try cleaning the thermocouple with a wire brush. Someties just the accumulation of carbon will prevent the pilot from staying lit.
I tried that with no luck. Mine has 2 wires and without using a magnifying glass it looks like the coatings on them are toast
Old 12-18-2020, 03:48 PM   #16

SUN #4952
sparkzaflyin is an unknown quantity at this point
Try these guys: https://pdxrvwholesale.com/ Maybe they could source a similar part for you. Good luck!
Old 12-18-2020, 03:54 PM   #17

SUN #4952
sparkzaflyin is an unknown quantity at this point
Try this as well: https://techsupport.pdxrvwholesale.c...ood-afmd35151/
Old 12-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #18

SUN #11689
Well I finally got the furnace to light and everything seems ok except the pilot seems to be leaking, as I have a flame out the top of office but it's also flaming down below that, maybe normal?

I also need to install the gaskets around everything yet so that may help
Old 12-24-2020, 08:26 PM   #19

SUN #11695
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHunter View Post
Well I finally got the furnace to light and everything seems ok except the pilot seems to be leaking, as I have a flame out the top of office but it's also flaming down below that, maybe normal?

I also need to install the gaskets around everything yet so that may help
The pilot having flame out of the bottom and the top is not correct. It will cause the furnace to not light properly. My pilot was having the same problem. Since I could not find a new pilot, I used high temp stove cement to patch up the leaks the best I could. It’s been working so far, I’m not saying this is the correct way to fix this, but it’s what I did.

My gaskets were all worn out as well. I ended up buying a sheet of exhaust gasket material from the auto part store and custom cutting it to fit. The gasket material was rated up to 1200F. Mr. gasket company part # 77A

Hope this helps!
Old 12-25-2020, 02:21 AM   #20

SUN #11689
Quote:
The pilot having flame out of the bottom and the top is not correct. It will cause the furnace to not light properly. My pilot was having the same problem. Since I could not find a new pilot, I used high temp stove cement to patch up the leaks the best I could. It’s been working so far, I’m not saying this is the correct way to fix this, but it’s what I did.

My gaskets were all worn out as well. I ended up buying a sheet of exhaust gasket material from the auto part store and custom cutting it to fit. The gasket material was rated up to 1200F. Mr. gasket company part # 77A

Hope this helps!
Thank you!!! I suspected that LoL. I was thinking of options to stop that leak, jb weld was my thought, not sure how much heat that spot gets though. I was sure hoping to find us a shiny new pilot and couple but it's becoming obvious it's just not possible. My next step is going to be to fab up something using the 3 other thermocouples I bought to try, all the newer style couples have a different thread size going into valve or maybe a New valve would probably cure that and then I think fabing something up would be real easy