Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Truck Campers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-25-2023, 08:47 AM   #1

SUN #13580
Wardog161 is an unknown quantity at this point
FNG Questions!!

Hey all,

Got some probably dumb questions that if not asked would be even dumber.

1) While reading literature provided with my Sunline 1150, I noticed it mentioned floor heating for my model. Is this actually heated floors? If so how do I control it?

2) is the roof load bearing? I'm not sure how the camper is built and what is structural and not structural. Seems a bit squishy up there but would love to have an idea before I go parading around up there in the nude (joke) and falling through or causing leaks.

3) I'm not even going to get into the lighting of furnace, fridge, water heater, stove. Seems original information book would have had instructions in the binder everything else is in there like types of materials, how great they are etc etc but not how to use it. Guess back in 1990 people were pretty darn smart. IM 53 guess I missed that part of schooling.

4) This is a bigger and I know the truth just trying not to face it. Can I carry my 1150 with my 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty with short box (about 6'8")? I see alot of conflicting videos on YouTube, and you know they are all experts!! I'm only going 2.5 miles up the road to a lot next a marina where my boats are until I buy a long bed truck dually. Thanks in advance for "HELPFUL" or humorous replies.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:19 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Warddog161,

There are no dumb questions here on Sunline owners club, just questions you need help with, so ask away.

You stated you have a 1150, H'mm OK what does he have? I looked back at your first post, and you have a C-1150, a truck camper. But I did not see what year it was. What year is it? For the future, list your camper as a year XXXX, C-1150; then we know the year, type of camper, and floor plan. Sunline used, C= truck camper, T= travel trailer, F= fifth wheel, and I'm not sure what the motor homes had as a type of camper. The way the campers were made evolved over the years, so knowing the year helps.

Now knowing a little more about what you have, here are some answers.

Quote:
1) While reading literature provided with my Sunline 1150, I noticed it mentioned floor heating for my model. Is this actually heated floors? If so how do I control it?
I'm not exactly sure where you found the "floor heating" wording, but we learn something new every day here. Most times, on the smaller campers (and your truck camper is a smaller one) the furnace has a blower that the hot air for the living space comes out of the front furnace grate which is normally mounted down by the floor in the side of a cabinet. The grate had bent louvers to direct the air, some up and some down I believe. The smaller campers had no ducted heat, but the larger campers did as the camper was longer and the heat ducts carried the heat in ducts inside the cabinets (above the floor) to the other rooms. There were very limited longer campers that had a floor-mounted heat duct, it only had them as the above floor duct could not reach that area.

I think what you have read is, some marketing buzz words, the heat grate on the front of the furnace might blow down to the floor, warming the floor. There only way to change the heat temp is to adjust the furnace temp set point. A truck camper has very little floor structure to allow "in-floor ducted heat."

Quote:
2) is the roof load bearing? I'm not sure how the camper is built and what is structural and not structural. Seems a bit squishy up there but would love to have an idea before I go parading around up there in the nude (joke) and falling through or causing leaks.
First off, you get bonus points for asking this question!. It is a very good question, "most" Sunline roofs were not declared as "walk-on" roofs. Walking over a non-walk-on roof without the correct support will damage the roof or hurt you.

They had rafters to span the width of the camper, then a roof membrane over the rafters. At times they could use 1/8" luan to add membrane support, but it was not people load bearing. Sunline did offer "optional" full or partial walk-on roofs, but the camper had to be ordered that way. The non-walk-on roof was to save weight. To service the roof, you place a tarp or other protective blanket to not scratch the roof down first. Then put small pieces of 3/8" or thicker plywood down to span the rafters and spread your load out. Small 2 ft x 4 ft or 30" wide by 40" wide is light enough to haul up on the roof but yet wide enough to span the nominal 16" on center rafters. Heads up, if your camper has roof water damage, the rafters may be rotted. Depending on the model year, the roof where seamed aluminum or, later, rubber membranes.

Quote:
3) I'm not even going to get into the lighting of furnace, fridge, water heater, stove. Seems original information book would have had instructions in the binder everything else is in there like types of materials, how great they are etc etc but not how to use it. Guess back in 1990 people were pretty darn smart. IM 53 guess I missed that part of schooling.
We are not sure what your manual has left in it. There are instructions manuals in our files sections. I'll post how to get to that info in the next reply.

Quote:
4) This is a bigger and I know the truth just trying not to face it. Can I carry my 1150 with my 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty with short box (about 6'8")? I see alot of conflicting videos on YouTube, and you know they are all experts!! I'm only going 2.5 miles up the road to a lot next a marina where my boats are until I buy a long bed truck dually. Thanks in advance for "HELPFUL" or humorous replies.
We can try and help here, but this starts with the model year of your camper. The C-1150 was a bigger one of the truck campers, but knowing the year, we can look up the size and weight and see how it stacks up to your F250. Give us the year of your camper, and we can help better.

I hope this helps,

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 08:22 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
This might help on the manuals.

We have copies of the owner's manuals here on our site. You can download a copy for free from our files section when logged into the site.

Our FILES section is an excellent Sunline information resource, including almost all sale brochures from when, owners manuals, appliance manuals, and other good stuff.

The sales brochure has a lot of good info on your model camper that is hard to come by in one organized spot. Just scroll to your year and download a copy. Same for the owner's manuals.

To get to the FILES section, you have to be logged in. Look up top along the forum for the words "FILES." That is a tab; click it. Then select the area you want to go to and can read on for hours, days, maybe weeks...

A heads up, RV camper owners' manuals are unlike automobile owners' manual that gives exact instructions on almost everything in your auto. The camper owner's manual generally talks about how things work to help you along the way. For the actual appliances, there are owners manuals with very detailed info on them from the manufacturer of the appliance. We have many of those in the files section too. If your model is not there, could you give us the make and model no. on the appliance, and we can help search for it, too, then add it to our files section for future help to others?

You are also welcome to ask any questions about your camper. You can create a post in the appropriate forum and ask away. We have many areas already answered in old posts, but we are fine with asking questions you need help with.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:53 AM   #4

SUN #13580
Wardog161 is an unknown quantity at this point
John thanks for all the input. I'm sorry it is a 1990 C 1150. And as you can see the brochures for that model says floor heating is in my model, but your correct it may just mean the vents aim down. Refer to link with pic of brochure.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NNcCbV5DfeXarYf77