Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Truck Campers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #1

SUN #664
Lil Stevie
A newbi with a stupid question

I just bought my first camper and I could use some advise (maybe I should have asked before i bought a camper!!)
I have a 1989 sunline coach truck camper madel # C-1150. I did find some O&M's for most of the stuff but I am still looking for the owners manuel.
So here is my dumb question. I would like to be able to put the camper on it's jacks so that I can use the truck for errands but I want to be able to have power for the lights, ect. I do not have a ready 115 volt power supply and I thought I would just be able to run it off a charged battery. I still think I should be able to do that but I do not see where or how to connect a battery to the system wiring. I appreciate any intsite I can get.
Regards,
Steve

Old 08-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #2

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Steve

The only stupid question is that which is unasked...

Do you only have power when your camper is plugged into the truck with the truck key 'on'? Not sure about other makes/models, but my Ford powers the 7 prong trailer plugs (+) only when the key is in the 'run' position.

Did you see any wires hanging down when you put the camper on the truck?

With mine, a 78 model year, the pigtails for the battery hook ups ran down and out from under the kitchen counter cabinets into the front left bed of the truck. There was an access door where you slid the battery out of the camper and into the bed of the pickup and hooked it up to the battery there... the 'battery mount' was the bed of the pickup.

I'd do as much poking around with a flashlight as you can, following the wiring from where the pigtail enters the camper. The black(+) and heavier gauge white wire(-) are the ones that will lead you to where the battery should be. Keep your eyes out for two wires that have a battery terminal connectors on them and aren't hooked up to anything inside of the cabinets and compartments.

I'd be very surprised if someone wired the truck camper only to be powered when it's plugged into the truck's DC batteries. Automotive batteries are not deep cycle and aren't designed to be used in a large draining and recharging cycles like campers, boats, rvs, and golf carts.

If you want more info on how everything works(or is supposed to work ), just ask.

Take care,
Jason

Old 08-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #3

SUN #664
Lil Stevie
Jason,
Thanks for the reply. Here is what I have . The camper is up on jacks right now as I do not have a truck for it yet! The only place where the wires hang around is in the compartment that houses the converter. I have poked all over the place and and I can not find a place to connect a battery direct to the wring. I had not thought about the battery sitting in the bed of the P/U but that opens up the possibilities as to where that pigtail might be. I was told that everything worked on the camper but when I put water to it the water heater has a leak . I put some epoxy around the crack and hopefully it will hold. I also found that the window up front that goes across the width of the camper is leaking. I assume I can pull it out and re-caulk the heck out of it? I am still looking for anyone that has info on putting some PV panels on the camper roof and if anyone has done anything with solar hot water.
One last request.....does anyone know where I might be able to purchase the owners manuel? I have the O&M's but a lot of my questions could be answered if I had one.
Thanks for your help
Steve