Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-19-2011, 07:07 PM   #21

SUN #2594
chilliwack is an unknown quantity at this point
It's all quality. Nothing else compares to a Sunline and they all seem so full of light and have an airy feel inside. The only thing we would like to change are the art-deco mirrors on some of the cabinet faces but I can't figure out how to get the mirrors out. I'd also like to get the frames off the wall and replace the (dubious) art with our own photographs of the grandkids but they seem glued on and I'd hate to wreck the wall. Any suggestions?

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM   #22

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilliwack View Post
The only thing we would like to change are the art-deco mirrors on some of the cabinet faces but I can't figure out how to get the mirrors out. I'd also like to get the frames off the wall and replace the (dubious) art with our own photographs of the grandkids but they seem glued on and I'd hate to wreck the wall. Any suggestions?
You might want to read these threads:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...all-10991.html

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...lls-12448.html

JohnB's wife isn't impressed with all the mirrors Sunline used so she covers them with quilt panels that she makes. Here is the link showing how to attach them: http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...pics-9735.html Somewhere, I saw a fabric panel that had openings for photos. If you can't find it, maybe you could make one.

When hanging things on the walls, 3M Command Strips and Hooks work well and won't cause damage if removed properly.

clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:06 PM   #23

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi rrwayne

You have some really good replies to this thread. I enjoyed reading them. If you haven’t bought yet or even if you have I’ll add my experience for future readers.

We where in the Pop up world and then started looking into travel trailers. We where out growing the setup deal and wet canvas. Really didn’t know a lot about TT's at the start and I never even heard of Sunline. We toured thru 22 different brands before we found out about Sunline. One of those dealers along the way told me, if your looking for that high end quality look at Nash or Sunline. Then I found RV.net as Sunline Club did not exist back then. RV.net has changed a lot since back then, but I have a number of good camper friends from there. It has grown so big that there is a quantity of negatives you do not get on the smaller brand specific forums. In fact if it was not for RV.net I would not of known about SOC. Goodole Bob pointed me over here and well that was a few posts ago....

I used RV.net as sort of a search engine. There is one thing camper folks do and that is talk about their campers. The good and the bad. Just type in the brand name and read. You will get all kinds of hits on good and bad. Sunline constantly kept pop’ing up as positive. There was only 1 negative post, someone has issues with an axle and let out with it. But the good reviews where really good. It was like Sunlines rolled on water… So after reading over 80 posts of Sunline is great I had to find one and see. At the time Sunline was still in business and there was a stocking dealer 350 miles north in MI. They had just about 1 of every 7,000# GVWR Sunline on the lot. In fact they where trying to clear them as they had a number of 2004’s and had a lot of 2005’s already. So we went for a look.

We 1st walked into a 2004 T2499 and WOW!!!! The inside of the camper just jumped out at us. OMG this is different. Well we looked at all the 7,000# class units they had. The dealer was good enough to not pester us and we spent over 5 hours walking back and forth between the models. The dealer said, I just love selling these. Every one of them have the same quality just the floor plan is different so folks find what is right for them.

In my search this is what I found. I’m going to compare the 2004 Solaris line as that was the only one I knew of to the other brands. I’ll leave Nash out of this as I never was in one until after we owned the Sunline.

Look at the bench seats. Sunline had thicker, 5/8 or 3/4 I think bench seats. Others had 3/8 or some 1/4” .

Sunline boasted no partial board at all. Others have a qty of partial board.

Sunline had a 2-3 year warranty. 3 years on the Sunline parts and 2 years on the appliances. The others has 1 year warranty. In the RV world that means a lot...

The years we where looking at all had china toilet bowls. The others had the plastic.

Sunline put in a real wooden medicine cabinet, the others gave a plastic insert one.

Sunline had many windows all over and almost every one opened. The front window did not open. Many of the other brands only had a few windows and then not all even opened or where sliders. Sunline offered a mix of crank out and single hung and they all had screens.

The awning and AC unit where standard on the Solaris. These where options on the other brands.

Sunline offer ducted AC in the ceiling on the longer campers. Others did not. It makes a difference in a 25 foot or longer TT.

Sunline supplied ducted heat in the sides of the cabinets not floor ducts. I do not like the dirt catching floor ducts.

Sunline gave the auto-switch over tank LP system standard.

Sunline supplied a real heavy steel cradle to hold the fresh tank while towing while other brands have 2 pipe straps around them. Again Sunline provided heavy duty while the others provided cheap.

Sunline put light switches on the walls and inside lights everywhere.

Sunline provided a Shub shower screen over the standard curtain.

Sunline gave a hitch light, cargo hole inside lights on all ends and the non door side outside camper lights. Others do not.

Sunline had extras large cargo hole doors in the 2004 units over the others.

Sunline made wooden and steel towel racks and had cabinets everywhere.

The Sunline draws where made from furniture venire board not OSB board.

Sunline used the vinyl inserts around all the cabinets to the ceiling and the counter tops. This takes more time and covers up the slight cracks that come from rolling down the road between ft up.

Sunline gave 30# LP tanks on the 7,000# TT’s

In 2004 Sunline provide an onboard battery disconnect switch. It’s nice along with 60 amp power converters.

Sunline offered Krystal coat siding which helps with scratches.

Sunlines had bright and light interiors. The others where dark and not bright. The fit and finish was noticeable.

Sunline put axles, springs and tires on the hold the entire GVWR of the TT. Others cheeped out and down sized letting the truck hold part of the GVWR and as such many have had loading problems on the cheeped up brands. I will never buy a TT that the suspension will not support the entire weight of the camper.

Sunlines are built with good weight and balance to the tongue by design for stable towing. Some other brands do not do such a good job of this and expect you to load the camper right to create proper balance. The new camper person has no idea how to do this as most dealers never even talk about this.

We put a deposit down with the stipulation in 2 weeks we could get our check back. I wanted to see the other brands again to make sure and there was no comparison. So we came home 3 weeks later with a new 2004 T2499.

Time went on and we where after a larger unit. That’s a long story… but Sunline was out of business then. We still wanted the rear living floor plan but with a slide. We only started at the high end TT’s as there was no way I was going looking at the low end ones after being spoiled. Artic Fox came close but the wood was so dark, like deep mahogany and there was no WOW factor. So after 6 months or so of looking we gave up. Then from the forum here on SOC we got a tip on the used T310SR which was the dream floor plan. 500 miles away…. Now much more educated in TT’s I knew what to look for and watch out for. After a week of picture tag with the dealer we went and looked and I had an inspection list the dealer knew I was looking at. Well we walked in the and the WOW factor hit again and we pulled it home…

I have zero reservations buying a good used Sunline camper. Like any camper they can be abused and you have to watch out for certain things but they are built well enough that if they are kept up well, they will last.

I would not buy a new low end camper even with a 1 year warranty. I’m the type that is willing to pay a little more to get something that will last. And now just about every Sunline is used but still blows away most of the new ones out there. It is getting really hard to find a quality built TT now a days to compete with the Sunlines. A 5th wheel, yes there are many of them out there but TT’s there are not many brands of high end ones left.

Hope this helps and good luck on your Sunline search

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:36 PM   #24

SUN #2772
Plunkit is an unknown quantity at this point
I bought mine used from a couple who took very good care of it, so it was in good shape. I like the low profile (only one step up into trailer is good for my bad knee), and it's less wind resistance as compared to other brands that sit very high. The trailer seems well made, and every single thing on it works well.
Old 08-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #25

SUN #8731
RypH is an unknown quantity at this point
***Resurrected Thread Alert***

My wife and I have looked at the smaller Sunline TTs with interest until buying a '96 T1950 last night in Kingsley, Mi from a private owner. Finding a quality used 19ft'er on the market here is difficult. What sold me on this model is the floorplan. Not many smaller campers have an actual livingroom setup. The swivel rocker, couch and sliding table with expander leaf is perfect. The shower is larger and the bed is of decent size. The quality of woodwork is an added plus. The carpet was removed and replaced with lam flooring (when new) to keep it versatile. Roof has either been replaced or is still like new. The care shown to this little beauty is very obvious. Thrilled to finally own one. Here is a pic with my 2000 GMC Sierra. With the included load leveller we paid 4500.00 and it pulls quite well for 5000lbs.
[/URL][/IMG]
Old 08-15-2016, 07:27 AM   #26

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
If I sold my Sunline I would probably buy an Air Stream to replace it.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #27

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Congratulations on your new-to-you trailer, RypH! We hope you enjoy it as much as we have ours.

We own a Sunline because DW Lisa is smart. That's the short answer. The longer answer is that Lisa had long desired to go around the country in a Lazy Daze class C motorhome, which are widely acknowledged as by far the best class C's available. Then I showed up and fouled up all her plans... So, once I became sold on the idea of RVing, Lisa began doing the research as to what was the best-quality travel trailer out there. The first search result showed Airstream; when we noted the prices even for used units, and recovered from the shock, we moved on... By far the next-mentioned TT was Sunline. Lisa did more research, we joined this forum, and eventually let it be known we were searching for a Sunline. Aided first by Tweety and then by Janalee, we at last were united with our beloved 2002 2363, which we bought from the original owner.

We've never looked back since then. As many others have commented, Sunline's quality of construction, interior layouts and aesthetics, and attention to detail are simply not matched in the vast majority of TT's available on this coast, and have consistently delighted us.

Plus, we've gotten to know a lot of truly wonderful people as a result of joining this forum. You've found an unique family here, and we hope you'll be enjoying your Sunline for many years yet.

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 AM   #28

SUN #8731
RypH is an unknown quantity at this point
@Wannabes

Thank you Matthew! Our first outing with it is next week and we cant wait. I had no clue that Sunlines were of this quality. The woodwork is gorgeous and a well thought out floorplan. I still need to pull the hubs for bearing lube but we arent going more than 50mi this trip. Summers will be much different after this.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:14 AM   #29

SUN #6172
JennyC is an unknown quantity at this point
I went from a small, 16' when open, 1982 Colmen Pop up camper that I loved and my parents had it before me to a 1995 Sunline 1550 that I love. The reason I love my little sunline is many. The size, I wanted something that would be easy to pull and back into campsites. My pop up was small and light weight that I could push it into a campsite if needed. Also the windows, It has a lot of windows for being a small camper and they crank open. I can leave them open when it rains. Other campers I looked at you had to have the windows closed and there weren't that many. I camp a lot were there is no electricity so I can not use an air conditioner. It sits low, one step, like my pop up. My daughter has special needs and it is hard for her to go up and down a lot of steps. Also it is well built and lots of storage especially for a small camper. Other campers I looked at the cupboard doors would flex when you tried to open them. My friend just bought a brand new camper and it has spent more time at the dealership getting fixed than it has been at her house. I guess it is lucky for her that it is covered under warranty but she should not have had to take it in after camping in it only three times for windows that leaked when it rained and a bed that fell off the wall. My older daughter would like me to get a newer or new camper that was bigger but my younger daughter and I love it. I get lots of comments on my little camper when we are camping. They are surprised at the amount of windows, the space inside and that it sleeps 5. The cupboard above the couch/bed in back makes into a bunk. Every year we go to the camper show near us and every year even when I still had my pop up (which my sister now has) I would come home and not wish I had anything different. Another friend (not the one with the new camper)goes and she always wishes she had a new camper instead of her old one.
Old 01-30-2017, 11:46 AM   #30

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The only reason I bought mine at the time was because it was small 18' and it had two axles I knew nothing about Sunline or any other camper for that matter but living with it for awhile and looking at other ones it was apparent it was a lot better made than the others. Since then I has brought from 1990 to at least 2010 with an entire interior, wiring, painting, running gear rebuild. It's now all mine and is a perfect camper for two people tows like a dream behind my Tacoma and is very comfortable.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:44 PM   #31

SUN #8237
johnnybgood is an unknown quantity at this point
The wife and I wanted to get a travel trailer after growing tired of all the work involved in our old beloved '89 Coleman pop-up.

Looked at new and used campers for about a year before seeing a T-1700 Sunline on Craigslist that caught my eye. I liked that it was light, 7' wide, and tandem axle which is a hard combination to find. Seems like all 7' wide models from other manufacturers are single axle on little 13" wheels with an embarrassing low cargo weight capacity.

That camper wasn't on Craigslist long but lead me to join this forum, and I was pretty much sold after reading and researching.

Six months later a 1996 T-1700 came up for sale on Craigslist and the rest is history. Couldn't be happier so far.