Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-30-2014, 09:20 AM   #1

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which Surge Guard Protector is Better?

I am thinking I should take advantage of any Labor Day sales so I started with a surge guard.

I was thinking of a portable 30am Surge Guard but in doing research many folks complained of poor customer service.

On another Forum a link directed me to this hard wired unit,
Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Hardwire Surge Protector 30 Amp

By contrast, most report excellent customer service with Progressive Industries.

Its sold directly by Progressive Industries on Amazon for $219.00 (and free shipping) which is just $5 more than the best price I found for portable 30amp Surge Guard

So it seems to me that this would be a better deal because you do not have to plug it in every time, worry about it being stolen and good customer service

What say you? Anyone have this unit or a hard wired surge guard?

**UPDATE**
Further research I found they do have a portable protector EMS-PT30C
Products have a life-time warranty

$266.41 plus free shipping on Amazon

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
Full Timing in T-1950 2005 Anniversary Model
1997 6.5L Chevy Turbo Diesel Truck
"Pure Michigan"
Facebook: Apackof2 for the Rd
apackoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #2

SUN #6471
McKisses is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a portable 30 amp surge protector, i use a bike wire lock to fix it to the post. I think it was around 90 bucks from campers world.

Old 08-31-2014, 05:42 AM   #3

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I think I'd go with the hard wired one from Progressive. Not only do you not have the worry of it being stolen but it's in out of the weather. If you notice JohnB and others they have theirs in containers or covered to protect from weather.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
While I have the Surge Guard higher end one, I have never had any issues with it, so I have never called customer service to be able to report on them. I have heard good things about the Progressive Dynamics product. At the time I bought mine I did not know of that brand.

I'll add my thoughts for what I wrestled with about the portable verses the hard wired ones.

In my research on these, if the power line takes a heavy voltage hit, generally during a storm, the surge protector gives up it's life in the process to protect the camper. In some cases the surge protector has caught fire and burning at the power post... This is a concern with hard wired ones being in the camper, now it could be burning in the camper.

And on the portable ones, theft has been reported. Some have bought or created lockable devices to the power cord to help stint this nasty deed.

After weighing the options, I went portable even if it was more $$$. Knowing how high current can create instant high heat I could not come to grips with how to mitigate this risk when wired in the camper even if I buried it inside a steel enclosure.

The hard wired for sure has the benefit of being inside and out of the weather and the theft situation is about all but eliminated. Since both Surge Guard and Progressive make permanent mounted ones, my thoughts may be a remote possibility. It is just that I have seen what industrial arc flash events can happen and there is not much I can do to contain one in a camper. Maybe if you are thinking of going this way, call them and ask what type of testing have they done and will the unit catch fire if a lighting strike hits the line? This may help guide you as I did not call and made my own evaluation.

I created a plastic cover setup for the plug connection on the portable one and so far, I have not made it around to a locking setup. I upgraded my 30 amp plug to a Camco one with a handle and the Surge Guard lock cover will not fit. I'm at risk for theft, however where we normally camp, theft has not been an large concern so this risk is low in my case.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 10:02 AM   #5

SUN #6471
McKisses is an unknown quantity at this point
In regards to theft i use a bike cable lock wrap it around the surge protector and the post for the shore power wrapping it tight, yes it could be cut but i feel safe it won't be taken. I agree with keeping the protection outside.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

SUN #1546
Question

I have a RV extension cord but most times I do not need it. Could a portage surge guard be plugged in between the two extensions and then extension be plugged into the camp box? That way it could be under the trailer and out of site

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"
Old 10-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

SUN #1546
I bought the portable surge protector from Progressive Industry and so far I love it!

Joan & Miss Emme Lu Who
"Pure Michigan"

Tags
built in, electrical, surge protector