Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #21

SUN #128
Tweety
John,
I was wondering if you and Cindy were getting out this year. You have such pretty open and sunny campgrounds in some of your winter camping photos. It's a shame to miss your usual winter outings.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #22

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty
JohnB,

This white crap had better be gone by April !!!!!!! so we can get to Washington, PA for our camping weekend
Oh yes it had better be gone, or else! Else what exactly don't know other then head south...

But we have Sunlines!!! If we line them up the sun has to come out....

Well get there or will come get ya.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:50 PM   #23

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety
John,
I was wondering if you and Cindy were getting out this year. You have such pretty open and sunny campgrounds in some of your winter camping photos. It's a shame to miss your usual winter outings.
Hi Pam

Yes this winter season has been the worst since Cindy and I started pulling a camper of some sort behind us. (started in PU's) January has always been clear enough in this area to get out. February OTOH we have never got out as it was so wet and rotten.

Here is a few years back in late January at Hocking Hills SP in southern OH. Cindy chooping up dinner.

Here is out last trip out. Right now can only dream....

The weekend of Thanksgiving above was our last day out this past year (83 days ago ). This much I know, the 1st weekend the snow is gone and the weather even partly cooperates, where gone....

The itch needs to be scrathed!

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:37 AM   #24

SUN #10
wagonman76
A few years ago we camped over Halloween weekend near Big Rapids. It was snowing and blowing and pretty nasty for trick or treat. Getting a campfire going was hopeless. We moved the table and the kids carved pumpkins on the floor and had a really good time anyway. With a little ceramic heater going, it got warm very quick and doesn't take much to heat that small space.

1989 Sunline Saturn T-1661
wagonman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:42 PM   #25

SUN #1192
slobeavr is an unknown quantity at this point
We have frequently camped in our 1993 Sunline 2653 down into the single digits but I made some modifications to enable using all facilities. Heat traced sewer piping and insulating pipes and valves with amaflex insulation. heating pads and insulating bottom of gray and balck tanks. For water I found it necessary to change the waterlines that were initially installed against the plastic fender wells so that I could insert armaflex insulation between wheel well and waterlines. Water heater and furnace ducts provide sufficient heat to prevent freezing. It took a few years to make the modifications by experience but we still use trailer most years from March to January within about 150 miles of Southern PA from the Pocano area to Virginia Beach area.

Slobeavr
Old 07-03-2010, 01:18 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by slobeavr View Post
We have frequently camped in our 1993 Sunline 2653 down into the single digits but I made some modifications to enable using all facilities. Heat traced sewer piping and insulating pipes and valves with amaflex insulation. heating pads and insulating bottom of gray and balck tanks. For water I found it necessary to change the waterlines that were initially installed against the plastic fender wells so that I could insert armaflex insulation between wheel well and waterlines. Water heater and furnace ducts provide sufficient heat to prevent freezing. It took a few years to make the modifications by experience but we still use trailer most years from March to January within about 150 miles of Southern PA from the Pocano area to Virginia Beach area.

Slobeavr
Sounds great!

By chance, would you have any pictures of your mods?

Welcome to SOC!!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #27

SUN #1192
slobeavr is an unknown quantity at this point
How we modified our trailer for cold weather camping

I can take some pics. It may take a few days. Basically I used readily available materials. Heat trace is standard water pipe heating cable. The insulationis standard pipe insulation. Advantage of Amaflex is that it does not have to be covered, but I used electricians tape about every 6 inches to be sure the insulation stayed closed. I included valves in the heat trace and cut insulation to customize for the valves. The heating pads for the tanks are available from RV suppliers and are simply attached to bottom of tanks - both the pipe heat trace and tank heat pads are low wattage 120V.

The tank bottoms were insulated with 3/4" Armaflex sheet insulation that I straped to bottom of tanks. The pics are not going to show much. It will depend on how your piping and tanks are installed and a little effort and thought to make it work for you. Fortunately the design of our Sunline made it relatively easy although it was necessary to run the trailer up on some 8 x 8 inch timbers to work under the trailer between the main frame members. Armaflex insulation is made by Armstrong and available through industrial suppliers, but I believe that there are other closed foam insulation products that will work just as well. You want a closed foam product so it does not absorb water which is also why I would not use fiberglass insulation. As far as providing electricity, I joined all leads to one 12 guage cord that I drilled a hole through floor at a convenient spot, in my case up under rear bed and plug it in to an available 15 amp receptacle when weather requires it. I park my rig at home with electric plugged in all the time when it is there. As far as traveling, we have been on the road for as long as 10 hours and not had problems, but you need to know that you can plug in at you destination, unless you have a generator. I do carry a small 1000W unit that is capable of providing enough power for it and our converter. Also it is important that you keep some water in both tanks no more than 1/4 tank is enough.

As far as the water line fix, it is all hidden. I had to remove water heater and work in the space between our sofa bed and water heater to install insulation on top of wheel well and under the vanity and shower. In our case when Sunline built the rig they anchored the waterlines tight to floor so they were tight against the wheel well. We removed those clamps and where able to work the sheet Armaflex insulation between the pipes and wheel well. In our case heat ducts for bath and rear bedroom run in the same space. The water heater also provides some heat for this space. We have not had any problems with freezing since we made the modifications.
Note> We have a pilot type water heater (Atwood 6 gal), and we kept pilot on during cold weather.

During the time we have trailer at home we use a small 1500W electic heater on with an auxillary thermostat set at 45 deg F on the floor as the main heat source in trailer. We have the trailer furnace set at 45 deg F which will back up the electric heater when necessary. When we finish camping in January, I winterize the water system until we are ready to go out in March or early April. Yes, it does cost electric and propane to prepare trailer to be ready for cold weather camping and since we do retain the heater all winter long, the trailer, now 18 years old, is still in great shape.

Although this is a long post, I hope it answers some questions. We love cool weather camping, and even in snow.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Sounds like you have everything well in-hand! There's no hurry on the pics... I just like getting ideas. Out fifth wheel is designed for cold weather use, but only when you keep the propane furnace running. There are heating ducts in the underbelly (Which is enclosed.) and they are to keep the tanks heated. I would prefer to keep the propane furnace as a backup, like you do.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #29

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Rode a motorcycle at 17 below zero once. Does that count?
Old 07-04-2010, 09:21 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40_Acre_Mule View Post
Rode a motorcycle at 17 below zero once. Does that count?

Ummm... Nope!