Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #1

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
What if.......

........we had 4 digit member numbers and those numbers were displayed front and back of our units (like Airstreams) in say, 4" or 6" vinyl numbers.

We could spot members on the road or at campsites and with an up to date list we'd not only spot club members but know who they were.

We'd need a new category here for Sunline spotting alone.

2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:54 PM   #2

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
A great idea that could contain atleast the town and state of the members.

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #3

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
I think this was brought up before. IIRC, the idea was to have a space on a Sunline Owners Club decal to put our member number. The trouble with the current stickers from CafePress is that they are only 3x5 overall so numbers would be very small to fit in space below logo. I'm not sure I'd want numbers to be 4 to 6 inches tall though. Maybe something about 6 inches square that read "S.O.C" at top with numbers below.
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
As Dona said, it did come up with it before, it was a one color decal with a large member number below. The member number taken from the member list sorted by join date.

If you're interested, I can go dig up the image I made. I was originally intending for it to go on the right side of the trailer, around the clearance light either above, below, or next to. I think we should agree on a standard place though, and I think most would have a difficult time putting them below the light due to rock guards/windows.

The reason I made it one color (black) is so that it could be made out of a solid color vinyl and it wouldn't fade like a printed color decal would. Up there above the light gets a lot of sun.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Since a lot of units have ladders on them, could we also have a ladder mounted version? I agree with having them on the rear of the unit. If they are on the door side, you might never seem them on the road.

Another idea might be a license plate version, that could simply be bolted to the bottom of the state/province plate.

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

SUN #481
CafePress sells a 12x6 aluminum plate for $19.50. I would think that the background is white, not shaded.
A member could add 1.5" numbers. I just put 4 numbers, but there would be room for #0000. 1.5" would be easier to read, although it may look better with 1" numbers.
This plate is not currently offered through the SHOP tab on our site. It has to be ordered directly from CafePress. Maybe Jon can have it added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CafePress plate wit 1.5 inch numbers.JPG (23.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
I like the idea of that plate!

Perhaps the 4-digit number could be the last four numbers of your VIN..

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #8

SUN #1830
I would think numbers on the front could be seen easily day or night if they were placed just below the top right clearance light facing the front of the unit. The numbers on the rear could be just under the three center clearance lights or the top left clearance light. Those places could be standard for SOC without any special costs to The Club. If one style and color of numbering is chosen then anytime we see that style number, in that location we would know it is a club number. The members could have a registration number when joining and the list printed online. Numbers easily purchased anywhere, placed by the owners would be less costly and less werk for club organisers. I'm all for simple.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:26 PM   #9

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
I would think numbers on the front could be seen easily day or night if they were placed just below the top right clearance light facing the front of the unit. The numbers on the rear could be just under the three center clearance lights or the top left clearance light. Those places could be standard for SOC without any special costs to The Club. If one style and color of numbering is chosen then anytime we see that style number, in that location we would know it is a club number. The members could have a registration number when joining and the list printed online. Numbers easily purchased anywhere, placed by the owners would be less costly and less werk for club organisers. I'm all for simple.
I agree Jim, a rear mounted plate wouldn't be visible unless on the road, which is a small portion of time. In a campground, I think the majority of the sites out there are still back-in, so the numbers would be visible on the front then and not hidden on the back.

However, just putting a number isn't necessarily a good idea. In many campgrounds throughout the country, they require people to put numbers on the front of their trailer to indicate a particular lot number or a particular trailer number if the campground staff moves it on and off a site. I see trailers with numbers like this a lot, and it is quite common in Southeast PA too. I actually bought a trailer with them one time:

Here were the two options from the time:

My idea for it was as follows:

or

I do think the number itself should be a little larger though. Larger in scale to the club logo I mean.

I guess the member list no longer has numbers by the names. But I achieved my #120 before from the member list in order by join date. Maybe Janet and Andy could add back in numbers for us. Otherwise, we'll just have to count everyone by hand. Sunline Coach Owner's Club - Members List

I thought I read that the Airstream numbers are member numbers in the Wally Byam Caravan Club, not the actual serial numbers of the unit. But I'll shamefully admit that I've never looked at an Airstream close enough to know if the numbers match the VINs or not.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #10

SUN #481
I like the idea of the web address on the first choice, although the second choice does look a bit simpler and cleaner.
Placing it under the light, seems to make it easier to see.
Jon, I haven't counted the member list, but remember when joining that I was #478. Now, when checking on the moderator control panel, I am #481. Don't know why it changed . Guess I'll go "hand count" to see what I get.

On edit: counting from the memberlist by join date, I am #478.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:09 AM   #11

SUN #349
OPIE is an unknown quantity at this point
I like both ideas, the plates and the stickers. Why not give people the option to decide what works best for them?

1983 T1550
OPIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #12

SUN #149
nasa42a
Question

Folks....

With an eye to the future....allow me to complicate things a bit for a minute. Does this begin to raise the issue whether our club should have a slight rename to "Sunline Owners and Alumni Club (or Assn., if you don't like the SOAC acronym pronunciation)?

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #13

SUN #1830
Maybe all the possibilities is why a numbering system hasn't been put in place before. LOL!

Does Airstream, or other clubs, have alumni? No problem whether they do or not. If we are talking about memberships, doesn't that imply dues to atleast cover the costs of the paperwerk or decals? Maybe a simple number identifying "members" is something that should be decided outside the realm of a open access group.

I find this site valuable for camping information. Much information that is not specific to Sunlines. I would hope the membership identification doesn't create a barrier to any of that information.

jim

Edited to add: I understand that this website does require money and time and effort to run and I wouldn't/didn't mean to hint that this site is free from expenses but it is open to join without costs so far. Once the costs to access the site, whether through costs of member decals or other costs, are set then the people using the site will become limited as well. This may or may not be a problem with paying and non-paying members.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM   #14

SUN #149
nasa42a
Lightbulb

Jim-Bev..

Our club is made up of non-paying members. Our efforts are our individual investments in the club, As far as the costs of Club Stickers and/or numbers, I assume that their purchase and use would be voluntary.

The simple fact is that since 2007 no additional "genuine" full-sized Sunlines have been manufactured. Despite the many heroic and otherwise tales of Sunline overhauls and repairs, the number will shrink. The numbers of owners with Sunlines will also shrink....a tendency we notice within our current active ranks.

Aside from the fact that our club began with "Sunliners", I believe that its most appealing (and important) characteristic is a set of warm, open, and helpful attitudes, as well as a reasonable acceptance of change. And I further believe that a subtle name change would make it clear that those current members choosing to pick a new SOB model are welcome and encouraged to remain in the club. And that past Sunline owners would certainly be welcome to join.

"Sunline Owners and Alumni"? Just an idea for discussion before time and effort is spent in developing a sticker design.

Frank
Old 06-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
I'm not too keen on placing a decal/plate on the front cap of the fifth wheel. If I had an aluminum sided TT, I might think otherwise..

Old 06-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #16

SUN #1830
Frank, I agree than non-Sunline owners should be mentioned in the name. I would allow just plain ole campers if it were me. I meant nothing against 'alumni' members at all. Sorry if you thought I did.

I'm so new here that I probably should just butt out and let those of you that have invested time and energy in this club make such decisions.

Like I said, I'm glad the club is here and that everyone has allowed me to get help as I have. Ofcourse I'll abide by whatever guidelines/rules decided on.

jim
Old 06-17-2011, 06:26 PM   #17

SUN #149
nasa42a
Exclamation

Jim....

Hate to disagree with you...but you shouldn't butt out! And I'm not a decision-maker. We're just sharing contrasting opinions as part of a discussion. That's one of the beauties of this organization...nobody needs to flame/feel flamed... And eventually, a kind of majority consensus develops.

Frank
Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 PM   #18

SUN #149
nasa42a
Exclamation

Folks....

It looks as though my query/suggestion/comments hijacked the original subject here...which involved a potential club sticker and/or number. Sorry! I think the idea has merit, and I hope everyone goes back to working on it.

Frank
Old 06-19-2011, 07:39 PM   #19

SUN #258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Using the id system would have to be voluntary. I like simple also and I think front and back would be a must since most campsites require back in as noted. The "Staples" vinyl letters would also be easily removable if a unit is traded. The plate and logo decal looks and good and could be a good option for purchase for club support.

We were at a camp site this past weekend where there were about 10 Sunlines and 5 of them were club members, a planned mini event. The number system would have worked well. I vote for member number and store bought numbers with options to buy from the club. I'd buy the plate myself for the back.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #20

SUN #258
The biggest challenge here would be to find a member number and that could be as easy as adding a column (by whom ever has control) in the bata base to show the number in order of joining. The most difficult way would be to count them yourself but that's not too bad. Look at the list in order of join date, find yourself and if, for example, you're on page 5, the top name is 201 as seen in the highlight and count down fron 201 to your name.