Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #1
Kat

SUN #1203
Kat is an unknown quantity at this point
Water system question

Please excuse that my first post is a question - but, man, am I puzzled.

I own a 2004 Solaris 317. It is set up on a permanent lot that doesn't have sewer hook-up and is pumped weekly by a honey-wagon.

So this weekend I realize that the black water is FULL. I go to the manager and asked if I was pumped last week - yepper, you were pumped. Something wrong with your toilet.

So....I crawled under the trailer (which isn't easy for a short dumpy 63 y/o with bad knees. Nope nothing amiss there. As I roll out from under there I look towards the hitch and see a 3rd lever. There is no markers on the outside of the camper, explaining which lever does what. I have the manual, and it doesn't say a thing about a 3rd lever.

So...here comes the manager with the honey-wagon - he thinks, (but is not sure) that we have 3 tanks - 2 grey water and one black water ??????

Does anyone out there have an idea what gives with this, and in what order these should be dumped???? We have grey water disposal.

Thanks for any light you can shine on my black water problem. Oh lordy, how corny.

Kat

Old 07-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
EMD_Driver is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to EMD_Driver Send a message via Yahoo to EMD_Driver
Hi Kat!!

Welcome to the SOC!

I looked at the 2004 brochure for your 317 HERE and don't see where it says you have three tanks. According to the brochure, you have 32 gallons of fresh water capacity, 35 gallons of gray water capacity and a 30 gallon black tank.

Being a 317, yours may have been ordered with three tanks. SunlineFan would be the one to ask and I'm sure he'll be along soon!

2007 Peterson Excel Limited 30RKE
2014 Ford F350XLT SRW Crew Cab, Long bed 6.7PSD

EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 07:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Hi again Kat....

For some reason, the link I tried posting before did not work.

HERE is another try!

Old 07-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #4
Kat

SUN #1203
EMD,

Thanks loads for the info. I kinda thought maybe it might have been a factory add on. Had a 95 Solaris and I know it didn't have 3 valves. This one is a 3 bunk custom with movable walls (which I took out) Bought used at Keystone - have had a lot of problems with it. So many things wrong.

I see we are neighbors. I live 1/2 way between Hedgesville and Berkeley Springs.

Kat
Old 07-05-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat View Post
I see we are neighbors. I live 1/2 way between Hedgesville and Berkeley Springs.

Kat
That's cool!

If you'd like, Kitty and I would be more than happy to come take a look at it.. We may be able to brainstorm something. Not to mention the fact, that I'd love to see it!

Gary

Old 07-05-2010, 08:05 PM   #6
Kat

SUN #1203
Gary,

It is sitting on a permanent lot in PA - Longview in Mercersburg. I settled on this unit because my husband is disabled and the bedroom was one step from the bed.

Would welcome any ideas. We are supposed to go up this weekend, but as hubby is on oxygen, this heat may effect that timetable.

It is an assured fact that your little finger has more knowledge than my whole brain.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Kat

SUN #1203
ok, I need to proof my replies - bed is one step from bathroom - DUH
Old 07-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
ok, I need to proof my replies - bed is one step from bathroom - DUH

I understood what you meant...

If you would like us to come by for a look, please let us know...

Gary

Old 07-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Kat

SUN #1203
That would be cool.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
That would be cool.
Just let me know when and we'll be there! It's only 44 miles from here...

Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 PM   #11
Kat

SUN #1203
Will do. Supposed to be there late Sat thru Tues, but it will depend on the heat.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #897
Quote:
Will do. Supposed to be there late Sat thru Tues, but it will depend on the heat.

Saturday evening would probably work for us... Keep in touch!

Old 07-06-2010, 08:36 PM   #13

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:

I own a 2004 Solaris 317. It is set up on a permanent lot that doesn't have sewer hook-up and is pumped weekly by a honey-wagon.

So....I crawled under the trailer (which isn't easy for a short dumpy 63 y/o with bad knees. Nope nothing amiss there. As I roll out from under there I look towards the hitch and see a 3rd lever. There is no markers on the outside of the camper, explaining which lever does what. I have the manual, and it doesn't say a thing about a 3rd lever.

So...here comes the manager with the honey-wagon - he thinks, (but is not sure) that we have 3 tanks - 2 grey water and one black water ??????

Does anyone out there have an idea what gives with this, and in what order these should be dumped???? We have grey water disposal.

Thanks for any light you can shine on my black water problem. Oh lordy, how corny.

Kat
Hi Kat

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club!!!! Glad to have you with us.

H’mm now to your question.

I pulled out my handy 2004 brochure (I have had 2, 2004 units…) and looked up the T317SR. That was the one that was a new model in 2004. And by the brochure it has a swinging wall and bunks in the back. Does yours have bunks in the back and was there a small bath area back there? I thought I read somewhere that the 317 had that option.

On floor plans that have drain needs on 2 ends of the camper they have at times put in 2 grey and 1 black tank. And there are 3 valves.

The front kitchen T280SR has 3 valves, at least on the 2005 model I know it did. The front kitchen sink was so far from the bath sink/shower that they had 2 grey tanks. Or the pipe slope was too shallow to make a run that long.

Now to the dumping sequence, well the black first, then either of the 2 grey tanks. And the only reason I’m stating in this order is to flush the hose and pipe with the grey water after the black has gone thru a good part of the main dump pipe. As far as which grey goes first, I cannot think of a reason it would matter which one was pulled first.

What is odd is that the CG pumper truck missed your black tank if I understand it right. I have a clear fitting as par of my connection piping to dump with. That way I know what is and is not coming out…. You can also use a flash light and look down the toilet and see if it is empting. There may be some blockage not allowing the tank to drain.

Hope this helps and good luck with your camper.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #14
Kat

SUN #1203
John B,

That makes so much sense. Yes, there were movable walls (which I removed for space sake). But no bath at that end. The bunks looked like a great idea when I bought it, but one season of sleeping on the bottom bunk with 2 dogs - I have moved to the sofa.

I can't answer why the pumper didn't see what was coming out. He has the clear pipe on his pumper too. Could be that he has a guy working with him who is more able to crawl under campers to hook it up, who just didn't know what he was doing.

One thing that you reminded me of, after they came and pumped my black water tank the lights indicated that it was still 2/3's full. I know those lights aren't the most accurate and by visual inspection the tank is empty. This weekend before we leave, I am going to fill it up with water, maybe there is a piece of something over the sensor.

What amazes me is that all this stuff sat all winter and the holding tank didn't freeze and break....maybe the camping gods were looking after me this time.

I have had to fix so much on this unit, I was about to chuck the whole thing.

We had a 1995 Solaris and had no problems with that one and that is why I chose a Sunline again....but the dealer didn't stand behind this unit....learned a valuable but expensive lesson.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out.

Kat
Old 07-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
When you belong to this group, help is just a few key strokes away. We are still be willing to meet up with you and help you with any issues

Kitty
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #16
Kat

SUN #1203
Thanks Kitty, we are hoping to get up to the camper sometime late on Saturday, but, as always, depends on the heat.

So nice to know that help is just a hollar away.

Kat
Old 07-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #17

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty View Post
When you belong to this group, help is just a few key strokes away.

Kitty
Kat, What Kitty said...

Yup, that is for sure. We help the best we can. And even more so going to a few Meet and Greets you make new life long friends you never knew before.

Hope all works out well with your camper. Ask away on anything, we can generally point your in a direction where to look.

Happy Camping

John

Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #18

SUN #89
Hi Kat

You posted here about what I think says you have enclosed tanks!

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...html#post88038

Does your have that plastic cardboard looking cover and only a pipe hanging out to connect the dump pipe too?

If so, gee I finally found someone else with this setup.

You would not by chance have in the camper manual the original sales order that shows any extra options ordered when it was bought new would you?

I wonder if in the 2004 time frame Sunline was experimenting with an extended season package which was the enclosed tanks. I have been tracking (with the help of Sunline Fan) every T310SR that pops up for sale trying to find info on that model as they only made it for 2 years. And they all did not have enclosed tanks. It may have only been done on the larger campers and your falls into that area.

And if you do have enclosed tanks, well there are 2 pull levers for dumping a good distance apart. Do you by chance able to take a pic of your setup? You have me really curious now. One gee maybe another enclosed tank camper and next is, what did they do with a maybe 3rd tank and your floor plan???

Thanks

John

Old 07-15-2010, 05:06 PM   #19
Kat

SUN #1203
John B,

I am so sorry that it has been so long and no reply. This has not been a good week....quite busy.

Yes, this sounds just like my set up. I would describe the cover more of a rubber roofing type cover. I will take pix this week and post on Monday. The funny thing is I was gonna do it this weekend, but I had a porch full all weekend.....finally had to excuse myself to pack up to leave on Tuesday.

I will say that this model had a lot wrong with it, and this is so not like Sunline. Water leaks all over the place, microwave was broken, but little by little I have gotten everything fixed (I hope). Then there was the mice and stinkbugs. They must have been there when we bought the camper. No wonder the previous owners got rid of it.

We do have the original book and I do believe it has the order form in it....will bring that home this weekend too. Hope I can help you shed some light on this.

Kat
Old 07-16-2010, 06:21 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Kat,

Don't forget that Gary & I are more than willing to ride up to your place to look at/help you with anything you have questions/problems with.

Kitty

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote