Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-19-2016, 03:48 AM   #1

SUN #8479
DaveSha is an unknown quantity at this point
Water heater/refrigerator on Propane

My thinker is confused….Just got this 2000 Sunline 2653 camper and have been repairing it…Almost ready for the 1st road trip…The hot water heater works fine when its plugged in…It starts on propane from the switch in the kitchen…I unplugged the camper and the water heater went out and did not restart…I had also disconnected the 12Volt battery….Does it need 12 volts to operated the propane water heater or do I have to light a pilot (figured it was already lit, as it was working )…While we're at it I pushed the button on the refrigerator to auto and it was running off electric while plugged in but did not transfer to propane when I unplugged the camper also…I'll check both out today but maybe someone can save me a couple of steps….Thanks Dave….

Old 07-19-2016, 05:12 AM   #2

SUN #1022
Sunny06
It does need the battery to power the igniter, and the fridge needs 12 volts to tun the fridge controller.. I have a 06 and the appliances do not have a pilot light, but rely on a electronic ignition system to start..

Ginger(Weenie Dog)
Long Time Members
Sunny06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:41 AM   #3

SUN #8479
DaveSha is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny06 View Post
It does need the battery to power the igniter, and the fridge needs 12 volts to tun the fridge controller.. I have a 06 and the appliances do not have a pilot light, but rely on a electronic ignition system to start..
….Thanks, , you saved me a few steps…( mental and physical)……..Dave
Old 08-08-2016, 04:31 AM   #4

SUN #8284
MandoLinda is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a similar question water heater question. I recently bought a 2003 Sunline Solaris. The on-off switch for electric on my water heater was caulked in the "off" position. Because my trailer is set up at a seasonal campground, I do not have a battery. My question is this: It should run on propane only, and not need the battery to ignite if I am plugged in, correct?
Old 08-08-2016, 08:12 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoLinda View Post
I have a similar question water heater question. I recently bought a 2003 Sunline Solaris. The on-off switch for electric on my water heater was caulked in the "off" position. Because my trailer is set up at a seasonal campground, I do not have a battery. My question is this: It should run on propane only, and not need the battery to ignite if I am plugged in, correct?
Yes and no some converters do not work with out a battery but if your lights etc work with out a battery you should be good to go as long as you are plugged in.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:40 AM   #6

SUN #8284
MandoLinda is an unknown quantity at this point
ok, thanks for the info. Not sure why it was caulked in the off position - Unknown to me when I purchased the RV, the tank had a leak and I suspect that the previous owners were trying to heat an empty tank by electricity. And yes, the floor has severe water damage and I'm in the process of replacing it and the water heater . . .
Old 09-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #7

SUN #7928
RandyJ55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 1995 Sunline Solaris- Lighting the pilot for hot water heater.

I own a 29 ft 1995 Sunline Solaris and the tag which is on the pilot and on control for the propane to the hot water tank is White-Rodgers. I have to turn the pilot know to the left and hold it hard to the left to keep the pilot lit. I have never used this hot water heater but now have no choice. My propane stove works, my furnace works and I am plugged into electric. I am wondering if anyone can help me figure this out as I have to heat water on the stove for washing up. I believe that my system is a manual lighting system, and I cleaned out the tube to the burn chamber with an air compressor. I am accepting all suggestions in an effort to be able to make this work even if it means a new thermocouple. My hot water tank is full of water, my propane tanks have the valves open so I can get heat and cook. I just need hot water .
Thank you in advance for your advice and tips .
Old 09-27-2016, 09:39 AM   #8

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyJ55 View Post
I own a 29 ft 1995 Sunline Solaris and the tag which is on the pilot and on control for the propane to the hot water tank is White-Rodgers. I have to turn the pilot know to the left and hold it hard to the left to keep the pilot lit. I have never used this hot water heater but now have no choice. My propane stove works, my furnace works and I am plugged into electric. I am wondering if anyone can help me figure this out as I have to heat water on the stove for washing up. I believe that my system is a manual lighting system, and I cleaned out the tube to the burn chamber with an air compressor. I am accepting all suggestions in an effort to be able to make this work even if it means a new thermocouple. My hot water tank is full of water, my propane tanks have the valves open so I can get heat and cook. I just need hot water .
Thank you in advance for your advice and tips .
The thermocouple has to be positioned in the hottest part of the pilot light flame for best results. If it starts, hold the button down long enough for the thermocouple to take control of and hold open the safety valve. Usually 20 seconds at most will do.

Also make sure the pilot venturi is clean and free of debris.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #9

SUN #7928
RandyJ55 is an unknown quantity at this point
I will clean the area where the pilot light is an see if that helps. I did have the pilot lit when I keep the pilot knob turned hard to the left but it goes out , even after holding it to the left for an entire minute. I will retry and get back to you. Thank you for the insight.
Randy
Old 09-27-2016, 05:45 PM   #10

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
May need a new thermocouple. Not hard to replace.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote