Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-20-2010, 07:49 PM   #1

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Using the Atwood Wedgewood Range

Ray here on SOC inspired me to test the oven in the camper after his great turn out. See Ray's oven cooking

So after seeing Ray’s great result figured I might try it and now glad I did. We where camping with some friends in late October and we where having a pot luck. The rain was hit and miss. We had planned on bringing both an apple cobbler and a zucchini casserole. Both of these I normally do in a Dutch oven by the campfire. Well with the rain and not wanting to hold up the group nursing a Dutch oven dish in the wet figured I would try the oven. To date, since 2004 we have only used the camper oven twice. Once to heat garlic bread and broil hot dogs on a wet camp day…. So this was going to be an experiment.

I had preconceived notions the oven was going to cook hot and spotty. I have read some folks use a pizza stone to even out the hot spots and others just run the heat down 25 degrees and that takes care of the problem. Well we did not have the pizza stone so I tried the 25 degrees less trick. Now I have no idea what brand, model or year oven the folks posting had that stated what they stated, but this is what I found out about the 2004 vintage Atwood Wedgewood oven. Things take longer… not shorter. I found no hot spots and to my delight the thing worked great!

Here is the progression in pics.

The campout. The ladies yakking. Guys where too… just over by the fire 2 campsites down the way.

Now to the cobbler. This recipe worked great. Prep the apples. I used 3 different kinds top create a better flavor.
Place them in cooking pan and put a cup of water in the with them.

Make up your white cake mix and brown sugar and then put in some melted butter to make crumbles. Mix it up, put it on top, add some apple strips if you want and put in the preheated oven at 350

It came out great. The only issue was I started it at 325 thinking I had a high heat issue. Not the case so I had to cook it a lot longer even after I turned it up to 350.

In fact I end up getting behind as we needed to do a zucchini casserole too. I thought I started the cobbler early enough but not so. H’mm OK now what I’m running out of time to get this cobbler done to put the casserole in. Thought quick and went over to one of our camping friends who has a Jayco. And Jayco uses Atwood ranges too. So I borrowed an extra oven rack from them. And it is the same rack as ours so it fits. So I put the cobbler on the very top rack and the casserole on the bottom most rack. Cooked them both at the same time at the end. Worked great! Now I need to buy a 2nd rack… Also odd my range has 3 rack slots and the one in the Jayco only had 2 rack slots??

Here is the casserole

So now I’m on the oven cooking saga…. Especially when we winter camp. We are going Thanksgiving weekend and we will be doing some more tasty treats in the oven.

So the moral of the story, the 2004 Atwood Wedgewood oven in our camper works well. Just have to add more time to the cooking. Have not yet determined how much to add yet, maybe 30% more time as a start. Also need to get an oven temperature gage as I have no real idea if the knob is actually calibrated right.

Thanks Ray for your post. Glad I found this out before going another 6 years…. and our oven can be more usfull then a spare pot storage place...

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 AM   #2

SUN #128
Tweety
We bought an oven thermometer as things seemed to take forever to cook. It turns out ours is a bit on the cool side. Now I just use the thermometer to adjust the temp.

2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 07:02 AM   #3

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Funny I use the oven a lot.....and Leo is always telling me I should be cooking outside!!! But the aroma of Shepherds pie in the oven makes the Sunline smell so nice!!! I will pre-cook some of our meals and it is great for the finishing touches!

John I too want to get an extra rack but at the prices I've seen it isn't all that important right now anyway!!!!
We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:20 AM   #4

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
We bought an oven thermometer as things seemed to take forever to cook. It turns out ours is a bit on the cool side. Now I just use the thermometer to adjust the temp.
Hi Pam,

Until I can get a thermometer to measure ours, out of porosity how cool is yours in relation to the numbers on the knob?

Thanks

John

Old 11-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post
Funny I use the oven a lot.....and Leo is always telling me I should be cooking outside!!! But the aroma of Shepherds pie in the oven makes the Sunline smell so nice!!! I will pre-cook some of our meals and it is great for the finishing touches!

John I too want to get an extra rack but at the prices I've seen it isn't all that important right now anyway!!!!
Kathy,

I'm a fuss pot about cooking in the camper in relation to the fire safety aspect. There will be no high grease, high splatter cooking in the camper. However we do at times, especially winter camping and cold mornings (spring and fall) do range top cooking, mainly breakfast. For the oven, need a vent/window cracked open to help air circulation as the oven vents right into the camper. But in our case, yours too, we have a window above the sink next to the stove that allows a lot of the heat to go out, that and a roof vent cracked helps keep the heat/moisture in check from the oven venting.

To the spare rack, I have not yet started shopping for one so I do not yet know what sticker shock awaits me.... However until then, just go camping with friends who have an Atwood oven and borrow theirs... LOL

Cindy has now picked up crock pot cooking from some camping friends we have about 2 years ago. We have now added a full time crock pot to the camper we use it so much. Between my want/need to cook and outside with the Dutch oven, the crock pot, the microwave and now the oven.... well, need to do more camping to figure all this out... So many meals to cook in different ways and not enough camping trips...LOL

It's also interesting on who oven cooks and who does not. I know Kitty had her oven removed from her custom T2499 as she never used it. And heck we never used ours for over 6 years until now.... BUT then there is JDKuz (Jill K) who is a master camp cook!! Camp next to her and she has a loaf of bread baking inside and one outside in a Coleman stove oven at the same time... She can cook!!! Jon and Dave I'm sure are fed well....

So Bake on!!!

Old 11-21-2010, 10:54 AM   #6

SUN #763
MOKID
We place 4 6x6 ceramic non glazed tile on the flat tray above the burner. It helps even the heat out and keeps the bottom of the item baking from burning. You can also use a pampered chef pizza stone as it works the same way. MJ has baked many breads and pies in the oven and it works great. Just a thought.
2014 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x4 Eco Boost
2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer Motorhome
MOKID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #7

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Jon and Dave I'm sure are fed well....
Well we look that way at least...

What y'all aren't lucky enough to see is the behind-the-scenes discussion about oven cooking. My dad, for whatever unknown reason to me, is EXTREMELY paranoid about the oven on inside the trailer. One window cracked isn't good enough for him, he's so worried about the gas that just about every window in the front of the trailer has to be open and then he's still all nervous. When the weather requires the air to be on, he won't let the air stay on with the oven on because all the windows have to be opened. So the whole trailer turns into an oven...

Funny though, we ordered the motorhome without an oven because it had the convection oven standard. Then after having the Sunline for my mom to have an oven again, the fifth wheel now has an oven and a convection oven.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #8

SUN #128
Tweety
Given the fact that the dial and the thermometer both aren't digital, so there's alot of guess work because of that, I'd say my oven is off by 15-20 degrees.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Ray

SUN #1527
Ray is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings, John glad you got to test out your oven agn. Sounds & looks like you've got things well in hand.
I love to bake, some things make me look like a pretty good cook and the others well I don't take pic's of them!!!

Got my Sunline locked up, new battery in storage and waiting for spring. My next project is an outside one and I'm not looking forward to it at all.
I've got several running lights out and was hoping it was a grd problem. No joy so far but now it will wait a few months.
Take Care,
Ray
'07 Ram Quad, Hemi, 20" GoodYears, 3:92axle
'08 Kawasaki Brute Force 750
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #10

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
John, Great review and write up! We have always been in the the camp that use the oven. When we bought our first Sunline the salesman said we would never use it. All I can say is boy was he wrong and honestly I could not imagine not having an over. I had never thought of the extra oven rack. We are going to have to look into getting one.
2003 F311SR
2005 T-2753
Trailblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #11

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy & Nana View Post

For our first Adirondack Meet and Greet, we bought an extra oven rack at PPL a couple of years ago. I don't remember that it was a real shock back then but check it out.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #12

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks Paul.....I'll have to look into that!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote