Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-11-2007, 04:03 PM   #1

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
Updating a T1550

Our new to us 1550 is in the front yard. Our young nieces and nephews, all under 7, who have grown up with our Bounder call our SunLine the Baby Bounder, apparently classing all RV’s as Bounders.

Though designed for four to six people, it is being reorganized for the two of us. That means the dinette table goes and is replaced with a shorter fold down table attached to a small storage area below.

As well the Bunk over the Gaucho coach goes and will be replaced with storage compartments. The hanging wardrobe will become a slide out pantry. The front compartment will have a slide draw added to it for tools and the like. The rear compartment will also have a narrower slide out draw for long term storage items.

Both dinette benches, with the table gone will have slide out draws in their long dimension.

I’ve begun by crawling under the trailer and painting the frame with black rustoleum. As well I’m re-caulking everywhere and replacing all screws with stainless steel, there are at least 100. As well a Max Air will be installed, we don’t have air-conditioning; we try to be in non-hot places.

We are now looking for new tires and all I read about tires scares me. The on line reviews of Goodyear Marathons are down right scary. I am particularly concerned because one reason we bought the Sunline was to drive the Labrador Road, a 3000 mile trip with a lot of dirt roads, no cell phone service and certainly few gas stations, and fewer with 13 inch tires. Advice here is welcome.

We did discover a little rot in the near the water heater, next project after “Dicoring: the roof.

Any suggestions on modifications are welcome that make a rig more liveable for two.

Thank you

Norm Milliard
2004 Honda CRV
1982 T-1550

Old 06-11-2007, 04:08 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Post pictures as you go along....we'll all be watching!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:59 AM   #3

SUN #196
tinybluetj
I really like the 1550s. Had we not been offered such a deal on the Que (and done more research before buying ), we would probably have one!
Old 06-12-2007, 07:51 AM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow, you have a major project going on. All the modifications you’re making sound great. Good luck.

Not sure what negative things you’ve heard about the Goodyear Marthons, I’ve always thought them to be one of the best trailer tires on the market and I’ve always have had good luck with them. You could also consider a LT tire for your trailer.

When taking your trip, you may want to consider doing what many people do that take a trip to Alaska. Many recommend that you carry 2 spare tires for each, that is, 2 spares for you tow vehicle and 2 spares for your trailer. This gives you added protection in case of a second blow-out / flat happening before you can get the first one fixed. On one trip we had 2 blow-outs on the same day, 100 miles apart. DW suggested we get the first blow-out replaced before continuing. It turned out to be a very smart decision. My better half came through again. I’m learning never to doubt or question the wise advice of the DW .
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote