Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-05-2008, 03:59 PM   #1

SUN #614
ce2je12
Two questions??

Where is the cheapest place to buy a gas hose say about 20-40' that I can connect up to the quick disconnect of the trailer? What about safety?

Question two:
We need a 30 amp surge protector for the tt. Where is the best place to buy it? I have seen them at camper world but $300 seams a little high. We looked at the cheap one and that is cheap (no thanks).

Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Two questions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ce2je12
Where is the cheapest place to buy a gas hose say about 20-40' that I can connect up to the quick disconnect of the trailer? What about safety?
I've never seen a stock hose for propane in those lengths. If it is the standard male and female propane connectors (1"-20 Throwaway Cylinder Thread) that are used on propane lanterns and stoves, you can buy stock 8' hoses at Wal-Mart, Dick's Sporting Goods, Target, and lots of other stores that carry camping goods.

We've got 4 of the eight footers in our kit plus a 5' POL to 1"-20 Male Throwaway Cylinder Thread, and that seems to work well for a wide variety of applications. We have two Coleman stoves and two propane lanterns. We've acquired a bunch of propane fittings and adapters over the years including a "power stick" (mounts on top of a 20# or larger tank) which let us set things up in a wide array of hookups.

It is possible to get a single long hose custom made. Around here, there are several welding supply houses that can do that. But it might be more expensive than two or three stock eight footers.

As for safety, check the connections with a bit of soapy water to make sure there are no leaks. If there's a leak, you'll get nice big bubbles right at the site of the leak. If there are no leaks, it is as safe as any outdoor propane appliance can be.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #3

SUN #43
Trailblazer is an unknown quantity at this point
I have s 20 foot propane hose which I use to hook up my porta chef bbq to the quick connect on the trailer. I had this hose made up by a local bbq shop. You will need to find a shop that sells both propane and natural gas bbq's and have there own gas fitter. They can make up the hose for you but just make sure then get the correct end for the quick connect fitting on the trailer. The quick connects on the trailer are not the same as the ones used on natural gas bbq's. If they can't get you the same connection then you may have to change the quick connect on the trailer.

Sorry, I can't help you with your second question.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Ce2

20 to 40 feet is pretty long to find in the normal camping stores. This is generally custom made up.

If you hunt around, you can find 5 foot and 8 foot ones, Coleman brand, Marshall Brass and Mr. Heater. http://www.marshallbrass.com/rv.htm Marshall brass makes an "extend a flow". A hose and brass tee on your main tank for high pressure appliances.
Walmarts, Camping stores and even on line have them and they have the little green tank fittings (1” -20 thread) on them.

I have 2, 8 footers, use one on the gas stove and 1 on the gas grill run from my 5 lb LP tank.

See pic

A few things just in case you did not know and to save you a lot of money in case you did not. TT, LP gas lines are low pressure “inside” the camper. Low pressure meaning 11” of water column or slightly less then ½ psi. This is a safety pressure and is part of LP gas code for internal camper use.

If you have the standard Sunline setup of recent years, Sunline put a pipe on the side of the camper for a low pressure RVQ style BBQ. It just tees’ into the main gas line that is already regulated low pressure. It will run low pressure gas appliances of nay brand.

However a number of “outdoor” gas appliances are high pressure. Like a Weber grill, or a 2 burner LP stove etc. These are in the 5 to 7 psi range. Out doors they let you have more BTU heats and allow the higher gas pressure. These run off a LP gas bottle and are regulated down to the 5 to 7 psi range.

If you have a high pressure appliances and run it off low pressure, it will not do a whole lot. And if you have a low pressure device ruin on high pressure, you could get sky high flames.

They do make low pressure stoves like a Camp Chef cast iron burner stove and the RVQ, BBQ etc. So I do not know which you have and you might be OK. Or you might have a Sunbeam grill that runs on a little green gas bottle that will not work on the side of the camper gas pipe.

Another thing about gas hose. It is a needed accessory, however it also collects an oil that come out of it from the LP gas over time. The longer the hose, the more the oil. And eventually the oil will come out the ends with the gas pressure and clog up the down stream gas device some times. If you actually get a continuous 40 foot length and use it all the time even on short runs keep a heads up for that oil. It takes time to build up, may take 20 to 30 uses but it will come and the more rubber hose the more oil. Having the hose vertical with the ends open to the atmosphere will drain it over time. It might be a challenge to do 40 feet straight up but a couple coils and it will drain.

2 shorter ones or 1 short one, one long one etc might work out better pending you use.

Good luck and help this helps.

John

PS They also make low pressure hose and high pressure hose. It all depends on which side of the regulator you are on. Right off the main tank could be 150 psi hose. Down stream of the dual regulator could be low pressure hose, 5 psi range. Care full which one you are wanting. Using high pressure hose in a low pressure applications is OK but not the other way around.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote