Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #1

SUN #212
janetpowell
Toxic Trailers??? Formaldehyde

Hi! As Fred and I were "dumping" we were approached by a man talking about Toxic Trailers and that they lost 3 dogs due to the formaldehyde levels in their Forest 5th wheel. He told me about a web site, which I have looked at, but cannot locate info about Sunline. Coincidentally, when we were first setting up for out two month stay at First Landing, I tore off the warning paper on the back of the medicine cupboard about formaldehyde. I remember it said something about trailers are not meant to live in long term and adequate ventilation should always be provided and don't let moisture build up. I didn't think it was a real concern and it was beginning to fall off and I'm tired of many of the stickers that are randomly stuck on the trailer.
I knew this would be the place to come for answers, so?????

janetpowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:22 PM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Not in Sunline

Well, Janet, you can put your mind at ease. We may have broken frames (see another thread), but we definitely don't have toxic trailers. When we were shopping, our first stop logically was at the closest RV dealer only 5 min. away. We nearly died when we stepped into that Rockwood on a hot summer afternoon. A couple of days later we checked out the Sunline we ended up buying, sat on all the furniture, lay down on the bed etc. etc. and felt absolutely no urgency to leave.

So, I've been moping about Sunline on the frame thread, but they did not use any "formaldehyde" type or other strong off gassing substances in construction like many other manufacturers did.

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM   #3

SUN #212
janetpowell
Toxic trailers

Well thanks Henry! Considering we are living in our for a couple months out of the year, it raised my eyebrows. We went to the Eastern Meet and Greet and nobody there was talking about formaldehyde so I figured my best place for answers was the forum. I figured correct! Now onto taking off the rest of the annoying stickers.....Have a great day!
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
Janet,

I picked up my SUnline on July 7, 2005 and left on July 8th for a little over a month traveling out west. I have asthma, and I had no ill effects from the coach. Sunline was one of the very very few trailers that you could actually enter on a dealers lot on a real hot day and actually be able to remain inside the rig. I know all to well about the burning eyes, labored breathing, etc.

Now, I must keep my Sunny for a long long long time, all I need to do is get the frame issue looked at like the other 2499 owners
Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #5

SUN #212
janetpowell
toxic trailers

Thanks! Considering I'm battling a nasty sinus infection, his comments caught my attention. Glad to know our Sunline isn't included in the Toxic Trailer list! Sorry to hear about your frame issues. We too are hoping to keep our Sunline for a very long time, we love it!
Old 07-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #6

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode
Strangely enough, there was a tiny blurp on the evening news tonight regarding useage of formaldehyde in the trailers that were quickly mass produced for Katrina victims. It's a result of the lack of regulation by the government for materials and equipment used in constructing travel trailers(or so says the news anchor )... now they're getting quite a bit of backlash as health problems start emerging from those residents.

Take care,
Jason
Old 07-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #7

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Several RV manufacturers are notorious for using materials that spew formaldehyde fumes and other nasties, especially when the trailer has sat for a while in the warm sun with all the windows and vents closed up. The massive orders for FEMA units caused by Katrina and friends was the ideal situation for these same manufacturers to dump sub-standard materials into trailers purchased by FEMA.

Sunline dealers used to brag about how Sunline intentionally used materials that were free from these problems. Carpeting was a biggie in all this along with adhesives used to assemble the units. Sunline made a conscious decision years ago to avoid materials that could cause these problems.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #8

SUN #549
frank
There are likely no trailers that are formaldehyde free, however, smart material selection could keep it to a minimum.

MANY building products contain some formaldehyde. For example, particle board, commonly used in the construction of laminate countertops and as flooring underlayment, is loaded with the stuff.

- Frank
Old 07-14-2008, 03:50 PM   #9

SUN #382
Mooney
There was a pretty heated discussion on newsvine.com about this, I got into it a bit until it started with a certain group of ethnic types calling people racists and such. since then, I'm gone....
'05 2380s Solaris Lite, axles flipped
Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #10

SUN #660
rmstack
Formaldehyde

I am not disagreeing totally, but when my wife and I went to look at the T2753 the dealer had on the lot in June 2006, we sat inside of it along with the salesman talking (15-20 min.). It wasn't long until our eyes started to burn and breathing was more difficult. We mentioned this to the sales person and exited the unit. We continured our discussion in the sales office.

Upon purchase and delivery, we have not had any problems what-so-ever with burning eyes or breathing in the unit even on very hot days if I need to go into it to check something or when closed up in the heat and the air conditioning running when summer camping.

I must say that it was a hot day in June 2006, and the unit was closed up and newly constructed so probably it just needed to be aired out. So we are not worried.

We left the warning on the inside of the medicine cabinet door. I'll have to read it again.