Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #1

SUN #262
joncassino
Storage Covers

Hi all -

I'm having no luck finding indoor storage at a reasonable rate so I'm considering buying a cover. The zippered ones seem to make sense to me but beyond that I do not have clue. Are these a good idea up here in Michigan? (lots of rain & snow).

Does anyone have any brands and/or sources they recommend?

Since we will basically use the trailer 4 weeks a year (2 in May & 2 in October) plus a few odd weekends it makes sense to me to keep it uncover when we are not using it.

Thanks!

J&V

Old 07-19-2007, 05:24 PM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jon,

We purchased an ADCO SFS Aqua Shed when we had our 1950 - I did not let it go with the trade in of the TT.

We bought the cover, thinking we would keep the TT in our yard...then we found indoor storage for $8.00 per foot from October thru end of April - it worked for us!!! Needless to say our cover never saw the sunlight, snow, rain or sleet of the Adirondacks....

Camping World is having a sale on them now....if you get on their site and put in the area in which you live, it will make a suggestion as the the best suited cover for your are.

Otherwise I'm sure someone else will chime in here shortly!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Jon,

While many covers are constructed well, there is one thing I've found will always ruin a cover, no matter how good it is. The rain gutters on the sides of the TT are very sharp at the end. I've had a cover tear on those before, and it can just happen from the cover blowing in the wind. My best suggestion is to use some pipe insulation foam and cut small pieces to stick on those sharp edges. Don't just do the gutters, do anything at all sharp. I personally like the covers that have a tarp material on the top, front, and back and have breatheable sides.

I personally wouldn't recommend covering a Sunline outside. The weight of snow can harm the roof if it accumulates. If I were you, I'd keep looking for indoor storage so you know the TT is safe, secure, and clean when you're not using it. I know it's a little bit of a drive for you, but there's a great storage place west of Saline (Sauk Trail Storage) that has indoor, outdoor, and three sided storage. Last time I was around there, there were only 5 indoor 16x50 units (Very pricey though), but there were a few covered structures that have sides, a back, and a roof. So, you just back your unit in under this and it keeps all the rain and direct sun off. There may be some other ones like that closer to you, but I know he seems to have a pretty much one-of-a-kind operation there.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 06:45 AM   #4

SUN #115
emam
Hey Jon, you might want to look at Northern Freight, they have a large variety of Covers in all different sizes and prices that might fit your application.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w..._624662_624662

That is just one option, and you might pay it off in one season of storage costs and be able to use it year-round.

Good luck and as a Michigander, I'd find some way to keep my Sunline out of the nasty weather if we just stored ours in the winter.

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:49 PM   #5

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Jon,

We had an ADCO cover that we used to cover our previous Sunline (T-2670). Only used it for a couple of years. 1st year, the cover ripped, along the lower seam. ADCO replaced it and the new cover also ripped the 1st year we used it. We also found that the cover, from rubbing on the corners of the trailer wore the paint off the trailer. So we stopped using the cover.

WNY winters are similar to MI’s and the place we stored our trailer was prone to high winds. The cover did keep the top clean during winter storage, but it was a pain to put on and take off.

Our trailer is stored in an out door storage facility and when it’s stored, I keep the tongue lowered as much as possible to allow water (& snow melt-off in the winter) to run off the roof. This helps from keeping standing water from collecting on the roof.

If you store your trailer outside (covered or not covered) I would recommend that you keep the nose of the trailer tipped down to promote water run-off from the roof.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 04:44 AM   #6

SUN #262
joncassino
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTHutch
Hi Jon,

If you store your trailer outside (covered or not covered) I would recommend that you keep the nose of the trailer tipped down to promote water run-off from the roof.

Hutch
Thanks!

This is good info to know. Seems like a cover is not worth the trouble. I'm still searching for indoor storage but at $100 a month (cheapest found so far) I think we will consider all our alternatives.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #7

SUN #256
Bobo
Would a poly tarp covering the coach protect it from the elements or would it promote mildew or other problems? Buying a custom covering would be best but it is out of my price range. I can get a tarp that will cover about 95 % of the coach for $80. Is it worth it or am I better off letting the coach sit outside in the elements?

Bobo

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo
Would a poly tarp covering the coach protect it from the elements or would it promote mildew or other problems? Buying a custom covering would be best but it is out of my price range. I can get a tarp that will cover about 95 % of the coach for $80. Is it worth it or am I better off letting the coach sit outside in the elements?

Bobo
Bobo,

Some really believe in tarps, but they do have a downside. They don't allow the coach to breathe. So, you could get some mold/mildew forming on the roof or components because any moisture that gets trapped under there will get caught. It would be like shrink wrapping your trailer- sooner or later you'd see condensation building up on the inside of the material. If you want to use a tarp, I'd recommend properly venting it by making sure you have some air movement under the tarp. Though I've never done it, see if you can get some pool noodles (maybe 10-12- with holes in the center) and six long pieces of rope (enough to go around TT). Put two noodles on each rope and each noodle hang off the sides of the coach. They'd sort of act like rafters for the tarp. Then put the rope under the coach and tie it together so the whole thing stays in place. Do this step a couple more times until you have good support for the tarp. Then put the tarp on top and tie it down so it won't blow off.

I guess one way to put it is you would put an umbrella over your coach instead of a rain coat.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:54 AM   #9

SUN #385
Hematite
This is my first winter with both the Sunline and a cover. The cover is a Sunbrella fabric. The Sunline has been covered with this cover for 2 previous years. My observation is that the Sunbrella fabric does not wear the Sunline finish but it is important to use pipe insulation wherever there are sharp corners to protect the cover. This fabric really does a superb job of shedding rain and does "breathe".

I would be wary of any cover made of a "rough" finish material due to abrasion to the finish on the coach. Poly tarps are notoriously abrasive to any finish and do leak and hold water under them. I would not use a poly tarp.

I will also say that it is an extremely difficult job to put the cover on and remove it. I'm only using it for winter storage. In my area, I found that available indoor storage was expensive and impractical.

2007 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab 4x4, 5.4 FFV engine, 3.73LS.
Hematite is offline   Reply With Quote