Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #1

SUN #239
landsailer
replacement of trailer tires

Hello, I am new to this informative forum, new to the Sunline family (1999 Solaris T-2990), and new to camping. Our trailer is new to us, purchased in December. We are enjoying getting ready for our first camping season. At this point, it is still winterized and in storage. We love the trailer and can't wait to get started using it, although I am apprehensive about de-winterizing and using it.

I have lots of questions about starting out. But I will start with trailer tires. Our trailer came with the owners manual but I have been unable to find anything in it about trailer tire recommendations. I have read about the importance of proper air pressure, balancing, rotation, etc. but have not seen anything about how often (milage) tires should generally be replaced, size of tires, or preferred brands. I have read that truck and auto tires should not be used, but the only info in my manual concerns warranty info on truck and auto tires. Go figure! Any insight you can give on tire pressure recommendations, replacement schedules, etc. will be appreciated.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM   #2

SUN #225
Mark
Do you happen to now if the tires are still the original one that came with the trailer form the factory??

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #3

SUN #239
landsailer
No, I don't know if they are the original or not. I am just trying to cover all bases to be ready to start camping. I haven't really even examined them yet but did notice that they looked like they need air. I would like to get my DH to ride over to the storage place to look at them with me, so he can examine the tread and sides, etc.

We will be taking the TT, we call her FANTAIL (also on her lic. plates), to have the Dometic refer fixed due to the recall. I could wait until then and ask them about air pressure, etc. But I thought I would ask here first.

Thanks for your speedy reply,
Old 04-05-2007, 03:34 PM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi landsailer

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your (new to you) Sunline. You got a great trailer.

The rule of thumb for replacing trailer tires is 20,000 miles / 5 years which ever comes first.

Max Air pressure should be listed on the side wall of the trailer - probably 50 psi. The side wall should also list the tire size.

I blew 2 tires when they had 19,000 miles on them. Tread look like new, but it's the side walls the give out.

If you think (or know) your trailer still has the original tires, I would consider having them all replaced (including the spare).

Replace them with ST tires (ST = Special Trailer). I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on the brand and type of tire. I personally like the Goodyear Marathons. I’ve used Tow Master too, with no problems.

I believe your trailer was delivered from the factory with 15" tires. I'm guessing ST205/75 R15, that's what I had on our 1999 T-2670. Both trailers T-2670 & T-2990 have the same weight ratings.

Feel free to PM me if you have de-winterizing or any other questions.
I've created an extensive check list that I use for de-winterizing and winterizing our Sunline. Mostly because each year I seem to have more and more problems remembering what I should do and when. I would be happy to share them with you if you would like, just PM me with your email address and I'll send them to you.

Also, check out the Files section of this web site. There's a lot of good information there also.

Good luck.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 04:26 PM   #5

SUN #239
landsailer
Thank you, Hutch. You have given me some good information. I would love to see your check lists. Now I have to figure out how to send a PM to send you my email address. But first, I need to go fix some dinner for my sweetie.

Ok, I am a dummy. I just saw the PM thingy at the bottom. I'll send you my email address. No, dinner is not ready yet. Ha Ha
Old 04-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Landsailer

Welcome to the group. A real good bunch we have here.

Hutch has stated what I have found before as well. 5 years is about it.

I just ran into this good article the other day on tires and tire pressures. It also talks about the codes on the side of the tires and how to find the date they where made. I never knew this before and since I just found it, I have not had time to actually decode my own.

RV News Article on tires it is a slightly older article but still very valid.

This organization is now known as RVSEF

Here is some more on this on how the offer weighing RV at Rallies. http://www.rvsafety.org/aweighwego.htm

Good luck and hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 PM   #7

SUN #239
landsailer
Thank you for the warm welcome to this special group of owners of a special kind of campers - Sunlines. We lucked out to find a trailer we wanted as soon as we saw it. We didn't even know what a jewel we were gettng, compared to so many other trailers out there. We feel very fortunate.

With the information given, I will be able to determine what I need to know about my tires. Also, I have some excellent check lists, thanks to Hutch, that I will use as a guide this year and then tailor them more to our needs as we discover what they are. The A Weigh We Go article gave very useful information as well.

Thanks to you all.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:47 PM   #8

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hutch,

I also prefer Goodyear Marathon's. I mean, who wants golf cart tires on a trailer going down the highway (no offense Carlisle owners!). I just went through finding new tires and rims for my dad's car hauler, since we were supposed to be taking it to FL, and I insisted on Goodyear's. Here is a bad example of how not to use trailer tires: Our trailer is a 1992 model year (built 3-92) and still had the original Goodyear's on it. I DO NOT recommend keeping them that long, but they did hold up well for all that time, especially since they've been inside their entire life. The original rims were painted steel mod rims (aka has circles instead of triangles, like Sunline's have) and they were replaced with an aluminum mod rim, similar to what's on the Que. I'd post pics, but I forgot to take the digital camera, so I took some with a disposable I found and have to wait to devolop them.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote