Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #1

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Repair time...

So as I threatened a while back, I pulled the furnace from my old Seville and brought it home to work on it. Looks pretty good...very little rust...lots of dirt...Need to figure out how to get to the motor to oil the bearings....I may need advice on this as I dig into it deeper. Stand by faithful friends!
Also...this trip, the vacuum release valve on the back of the toilet started to leak...it's the original one...the one that is about 5 inches long as opposed to the replacement valve which is about 2 inches long... actually all I needed was the rubber gasket that goes into the bowl and the valve tightens against and expands against the inside of bowl...that's what was shot...but could I buy that rubber gasket? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...I had to buy the whole replacement valve...$46 !!!!!! That really torques my tendons!!! I'll get over it...but not soon. The new valve has a different fix, which I think is not as good as the original valve connection to the toilet.
The new ones just have a tapered rubber grommet that fits into the hole in the bowl to allow the water into the bowl. This grommet has a hole in the middle of it into which you push the water inlet pipe connection from the vacuum valve. The pipe is just pushed into the hole, thus forcing the rubber to seal ( hopefully) against the bowl itself. With the old fix a hex nut/washer combination tightened against the rubber seal pulling the seal tight against the inside of the bowl. Anybody know where a fellow could find that rubber seal ????
Anyway...that's what I'm up to! One more month before winterizing! Enjoy!!

Old 09-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
That really torques my tendons!!! I'll get over it...but not soon.
Drake, you always have a way with words....

The toilet, any idea what brand and model? with a brand and model or at least a brand and a picture we can help search.

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #3

SUN #1340
John...thanks for the reply...I can always count on you. The toilet is a Travelers...the model is either a 910/511/or 510....the model number is on the toilet base, and I am not at the trailer to check it . I don't think it matters though because the specs for the vacuum release valve shows the same valve on all models.

]The problem is the black rubber fitting that fits just behind the rusty looking plastic pipe with the flat flange. These two sections of the valve fit inside the toilet bowl...the plastic nut then is tightened from the outside of the bowl which causes the flange to pull against the rubber seal from the inside and give you a watertight connection...hopefully.

Anyway, If I can find that rubber seal, I can have a replacement for the valve and if the exorbitant replacement valve I bought so dearly does not work or wears out, I won't have to flush another 46 bucks down the toilet.....so to speak!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0551.jpg (41.3 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
This helps if for sure we have the right series. I can only find the vacuum breaker valve that looks like that on the older 910. The 510''s are different but the gromment maybe not.

But I found this. See page 3
http://sealandparts.com/toilets,%20Gravity%202.pdf

That item 3, 1/2" grommet shows up on a lot of the toilets
http://sealandparts.com/toilets,%20Gravity%202.pdf

If by chance that 1/2" grommet PN 385311164 is what you need, then (Note: I never bought from these folks, it is just a web hit)
1/2" Sealing Grommet

I went to the PPL site that has diagrams and part numbers. once you have a part number the hunt is easier.

Go here
RV Toilet Repair Parts Online Catalog - PPL Motor Homes

Then go to on line catalog, select toilets then sealand and then go to the hundreds of models...

Then if you click "show diagram", it brings up the diagram.

If you can find the right parts guy, they can sort out of the washer I linked will work or not. I have bought from PPL and have had a good experience. If you or they can find the PN, I know they can order most anything.

Hope this helps

John

PS What is the PN of the new valve you bought and where did you get it?

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM   #5

SUN #1340
Thanks Jon for all the good info "...like a good neighbor...J..ahhh..nn is there!" (Sung to the tune of the insurance jingle).

I think I am just out of luck on this one...I can get a replacement for the complete valve assembly I have via your PPL store, but I can't get the rubber grommet separately...wouldn't you know... of course not...that wouldn't be cost effective for them to sell the only part that probably ever goes bad on this little contraption. Anyway I bought this replacement from my local RV dealer in Newport News...he looked for a long time before selling me the replacement. Not sure, but I think these are pretty interchangeable...in other words if it fits into the hole on the bowl and connects to your water supply, it'll work. It is just not as good a fix mechanically, as stated previously, as the original connection from valve to bowl was. The original was an honest to goodness nut tightened plumbing connection; the new one is a rubber cork with a hole in the middle that you push the plastic pipe from the valve into. By the way...the toilet is a 910 model...the 510 models have the kind of valve I am replacing the old one with installed on them.