Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #1

SUN #9338
RV4three is an unknown quantity at this point
Rectangular openings on roof?

Does anyone know what the rectangular openings are on the roof?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2471.jpg (55.0 KB, 14 views)

Old 05-18-2017, 08:43 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
OK, your pic is a little over exposed and I had to focus on the rear wall molding and then I think I know what you are referring too. It is hard in the bright sun to take pics of white things...

Is this what you are looking at?

Here is a slightly over exposed one too.

A side view

I can tell in your pic, that is the rear wall of the camper at the roof line. There is a piece of aluminum molding that has butyl sealing tape under it to cap off the back of the roof between the siding the top which is the rubber roof.

Under those mounds of Dicro caulk, they look like big quarter size dots about every 6 to 8 inches, are covering over the screw heads to prevent a leak and rust of the screws.

The rectangular openings I "think" you are pointing to is the way the molding of your vintage is made. They have a recessed section for the screws and the dots of caulk make it look like something was supposed to go in there but is does not.

See here on the front molding that joins the rubber roof to the front siding. This molding is made similar but it flat and no lip that goes down the back wall.

You can see the screw heads here before the caulk is put on. This is during a roof rebuild.

And here during the caulking. He has not made it to caulking the screw heads yet in this pic

Does this sound like what you are looking at?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:13 AM   #3

SUN #9338
I think it is. I haven't seen it. I think Daddy took that picture from up on a ladder. Thank you so much!
Old 05-19-2017, 04:07 PM   #4

SUN #89
Your Welcome!

Since Dad is checking things out, suggest the roof be checked and serviced as needed if it has not been. The roof and the caulking needs routine attention to not create water leaking issues later on.

The post can help on the sealants/caulking. They really need to be kept an eye on for splits and cracks as these splits and cracks are silent buggers until they get big and then let water in.... This post explains how to look for them and treat them. It also talks about how get on the roof and not damage it our yourself. The roofs are not a direct walk on roof without precautions of adding a protective layer over the rubber and small plywood sheets to spread the out.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...1-a-11508.html

Cleaning the roof is also a need as the dirt and algae slime that comes over time of not cleaning the roof does not help the roof. Using a UV protectant on the cleaned rubber, caulk and all the plastic on the roof greatly helps extend the life of the roof system. I use 303 UV protectent . They now call it 303 Aerospace Protectant. https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...ace-protectant. Walmart, Auto parts stores and other department stores sell it. I buy it by the gallon because it is cheaper that way. But the sell it in spray bottles too.

Here is a link to the Dicor website, the folks who made the rubber roofing material and the sealants used on the roof. This is how to care for your roof, wash, clean and apply a UV inhibutor. They have updated there care program to also include using a UV inhibitor. They now sell their version too. And to mold clean the roof if it is bad shape that way. Scroll down a little to the roof care area
https://dicorproducts.com/product/di...oofing-3/#care

Thanks

John

Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #5

SUN #9338
Thank you so much! I've been trying to find some info for him. This is such a big help to have you put it all in one place. 1adapter. Make sure you read this post!
Old 05-20-2017, 05:44 PM   #6

SUN #89
Your very welcome.

We are here to help and just ask.

Thanks

John

Old 05-21-2017, 08:35 PM   #7

SUN #9332
summd02 is an unknown quantity at this point