Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-08-2008, 12:45 PM   #1

SUN #542
indianasunny
Questions about water/sewer on T1550

We just recently purchased a 1987 Saturn T1550 and don't really know much about black/grey tanks and how the water system works. We need to flush out the antifreeze and make sure everything is ready before our first camping trip. Anyone have any advice about what steps we need to take? We will be dry camping in primitive areas for the most part. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-09-2008, 05:56 AM   #2

SUN #379
2beagles
This is what I do in the spring.

I fill the water tank and open all of the faucets and toilet one by one until all of the red is out of the water for a few minutes. Then I attach the hose to the city water inlet and flush them all again. After that, I open the water heater bypass and fill the WH. Shut off the hose, turn on the hot water faucet to relieve the pressure and open the drain plug on the water heater. Repeat. The WH should have been stored empty with no antifreeze in it. Check the anode rod attached to the drain plug. If it's deteriorated, replace it.
Lastly, I mix up a solution of one gallon of water to about a cup of bleach and pour it into the water tank. Fill the tank the rest of the way with clean water, and run the solution through all the faucets. Wait three hours, and then drain the tank. Keep refilling the tank, and flushing the lines and draining the tank until the bleach smell is gone.
You now have a dewinterized and sanitized water system. You don't have to worry about the antifreeze in the gray and black tanks. It won't bother anything and will drain off when you dump the first time. If the tanks are empty, there shouldn't be any in there anyway.

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #3

SUN #542
indianasunny
Thanks for the information. I'm hoping the black and gray tanks are empty....
Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM   #4

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
indianasunny

Chris did an excellent job of explaining the de-winterization / sanitization of the water system.

What I also do is after the water-bleach mixture is drained out of the fresh water tank, I also drain the HWT of the water bleach mixture. Then I refill the fresh water tank with a water-backing soda mixture. Mix a couple of cups of baking soda with water in a gallon jug and put it in your fresh water tank, than fill the rest of the tank with clean water. Run pump to allow the HWT to fill up with the water-baking soda mixture. Then run all faucets both hot & cold until the bleach smell goes away. Let this water-baking soda sit in the water lines over night. Then drain the next day. This will remove the bleach smell from the water lines.

If interested, here's another post that talks about De-Winterizing procedures.

Hope this helps.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 AM   #5

SUN #542
indianasunny
I really appreciate all the info I can get. Hopefully we will be able to get this finished over the weekend.
indianasunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #6

SUN #527
ScottK
indianasunny,

I have the same camper in an '88 and I am in the process of summerizing using Hutch's process. I ran into a few issues with my system as I went through his process. I found the valve on the back of the toilet was leaking, then once I fixed that, the hot water heater leaked. I just finshed the HWH replacement tonight and everything works great now.

My advice to you is to keep a close eye on all the water lines, faucets, toilet, (basically the whole water system) as you begin to fill and pressurize the system.

You might also consider installing a hot water heater bypass if you don't have one. This will make winterizing much easier. I added this as part of the HWH replacement and I am very glad I did. They can be had at any local dealer or online. You could also by the parts and build your own.

A link to the bypass:
http://www.rvsurplussalvage.com/cata...product_id=671

Here is a post related to that topic:
http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/ph...847&highlight=

I hope you have better luck than me. Have fun!
2020 Forest River - No Boundaries 19.8
2013 Toyota Tundra Crewmax (sold 7/21)
2021 Ford F-250 CrewCab
ScottK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #7

SUN #542
indianasunny
Thanks for the advice. The hot water heater looks kind of iffy...so I'm not sure what we will run into.

indianasunny is offline   Reply With Quote