Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-25-2007, 02:41 PM   #1

SUN #329
GreenWillow
Question on Sunline's Convert-a-Bed sofas

Hi everyone!
I have a question about Sunline's covertabed sofas. Do these just lay flat, thereby sleeping only one, instead of the mythical two that rv manufacturers always claim? Or, is it more like a hide-a-bed that folds out into something that would really sleep two (I'm talking a 14 and a 17 yr old here).
We are looking to upgrade to a TT from a pop-up and want to just buy something we can enjoy for many years instead of treading the constant trade-up cycle we see so much! However, in the next few yrs both kids will be off to college and will not likely be camping with us much longer. We would like to accommodate them now, without ending up with something that's way too much for the two of us later on.
Any input on the sofa beds is much appreciated!
Thanks and God bless

Old 06-25-2007, 02:54 PM   #2

SUN #225
Mark
This issue I have with my 2553 ---which is common----is that the couch is wide enough, but not long enough when folded.

The dinette on the other hand, is long enough, but not wide enough.

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:02 PM   #3

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi GreenWillow

Welcome to the Forum.

The Sunlines come with the standard jack-knife couch, that folds down into a bed. They also offered as an option a sofa-sleeper couch, but I’m guessing that you are referring to the standard jack-knife couch.

The jack-knife couch would be very tight sleeping two, particularly a 14 & 17 year old.
Our kids are older and in college, and when two travel with us, one sleeps on the couch and the other on the dinette. Both the couch and dinette convert into a bed that is comfortable to sleep on.

However, if you really are talking about the optional sofa sleeper, this is very similar to the standard house sofa sleepers and open into a bed (size around 80” length x 65” wide), which would fit 2 kids comfortably.

Hope this helps.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
GreenWillow,

Welcome! I can assure you that two people on a standard couch would be very uncomfortable. Believe me, I've done it, and it just doesn't work. Regardless of your 14 and 17 year olds' size, it won't work, especially if one or both tends to move around a lot. I'm a side sleeper, so when I roll over to find a comfortable spot, I tend to use most of the bed.

The other issue with the standard convertabed is the seam in the middle where the bottom and back parts of the couch meet. The one thing I hate about these type of beds is this seam, which I always roll into. So, putting two people on the bed would be uncomfortable just because they'd always be rolling into each other!

I can't say I knew that Sunline had a specific option for a sofa-sleeper. It was probably one of those things that could be custom ordered, and if it was a more common option, most likely the dealers that have these units left didn't order that in them (assuming you are looking at a new unit).

For your sleeping needs, I'd recommend an older used Sunline with bunks, or a new Sunline with both a couch and dinette. BTW, if you find an older Sunline with Cabinet Bunks, these only hold UP TO 100 LBS, so your kids wouldn't be able to use them.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #5

SUN #329
GreenWillow
Thank you all so much for the help!! You specifically answered with what I needed to know. Even though I was hoping I could squeeze the kids into a model without a dinette, I figured it wouldn't work.
If only our truck could tow one of the larger slide models!!! We are pretty limited in what models are still available within driving distance, and DH doesn't think we will be comfortable in a non-slide model.
Stupid truck...................
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #6

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
What do you have for a tow vehicle?

You may want to look at the T-2553. This would be a good floor plan to accommodate the 4 of you now, plus also be an excellent floor plan for when it's just the 2 of you.

I think it's a very nice floor plan:

A 1/2 ton pick-up truck should be able to pull this trailer with no problem. It's GVWR is 7,000 lbs.

There's a dealership in Jackson, GA , Sagon RV Supercenter, that from this web site indicates they have some of this model. Not sure how close you are to Jackson, GA.

I just saw you're post on the Tow Vehicle thread that you have a Dodge Ram 1500 with 7,500 lb tow rating. You would be able to pull a T-2553 with not problem. Our previous Sunline was a T-2670, 7000 lb GVWR, same weight rating as the T-2553 and we pulled it with a Ford E-150 Conversion Van, which had a 6,900 lb tow rating. It pulled the T-2670 with no problem, even over the Rockies. Sunlines are very easy towing trailers.

Hope this helps some.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote