Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-09-2023, 12:40 PM   #1

SUN #13565
outdoorman is an unknown quantity at this point
Q about Sunline Solaris T-1950

I'm a newbie to forum and am planning to check out a 2006 T-1950 tomorrow after work ( 4 hr drive)
I'm not familiar with Sunline let alone this model so came here seeking advice.
What is the reputation of this model/year?
Any owners or others familiar enough to chime in or give advice on problems that might be common??
Only past experience was previously with a used Casita 16 ft that after buying I discovered had a 'soft' spot on the floor from a seal leak.
Thankfully, a large tree branch fell on it so insurance got rid of that headache.

Old 03-09-2023, 06:01 PM   #2

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 1999 T-1950, and I consider it very well built. While it doesn't have some of the bells & whistles of newer campers like USB ports and whatnot, as long as it's been well maintained, it's a solid camper.

There's a fair chance that many of the exterior plastic/PVC components are at or approaching end-of-life. Things like vent covers, clearance lights and whatnot. Fortunately, replacement parts are still generally available for most of them at fairly reasonable prices.

I bought mine from the original owner five years ago, and the only repairs I've had to do were a waterline with a pinhole leak in one of its fittings, and a control module for the furnace. All of the caulking looked to be OEM, and wasn't in the best of shape, so replaced that too.

Everything else has been elective, like replacing all of the incandescent lights with LEDs, a new awning (the old one worked, but was getting pretty shabby), and stuff like that.

I wouldn't necessarily feel all that confident about taking it on a coast-to-coast jaunt, but a few hundred miles here & there, no problem.

Old 03-10-2023, 06:14 AM   #3

SUN #13565
Thanks Tinstaafl. All those new bells and whistles aren't important to me either. I just want a solid TT.

My biggest concern is water damage/rot so I'm hoping not to miss anything during my inspection of it.

There asking $6800 for it, not sure if that is too high?
Old 03-10-2023, 08:05 AM   #4

SUN #10986
Tinstaafl is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds high if it's just the base model with no extra bells or whistles (at least for my area). With extra options and/or improvements, it might not be too far off.

You can get a general idea by going here and plugging in the appropriate zip code:

https://www.jdpower.com/rvs/2007/sun...4094837/values

I'd try it both with your zip code and the seller's. Location does make a difference. Note, that site calls it M-1950 rather than T-1950, but it's the same product.

Make sure there's a ladder available for you to get up and examine the roof for good caulking and absence of low spots. And particularly since it's so far away, take a very good look at the tires. A blowout on the way home with it would tend to dampen your day.

Good luck!
Old 03-10-2023, 08:58 AM   #5

SUN #13565
Got some add info from the owner (he is 3rd owner)

Says it's 'like new' except for : *worn fabric on awning (needs replacing), *power jack works intermittently, faded exterior decals, some torn from recent powerwashing.
Thanks, I will definitely inspect the roof.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:11 AM   #6

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi outdoorsman,

I'll respond here to your questions as this may help others too. I'll send you a PM also.

I retore campers as a retirement hobby. Yeh, I'm nuts for wanting to go play with rotted wood, or I really enjoy it. I have just finished my 16th camper dealing with water damage. Some are posted here on the forum but not all of them. Some were small repairs, others total restorations. The point being, water damage is the enemy of a camper. It is like cancer to a camper. I'm not trying to sell this as all gloom and doom, these campers are a lot of fun. We really enjoy camping with our Sunline.

There are 6 Sunlines in my barn right now, 5 are mine and one is our son's. Out of my 5 campers, the T310SR is our main camper, it is now going to be 20 year old in November and that camper is still better then many of anything new that is for sale, at least in my opinion. The other 4, I acquired as project campers, they were water damaged and I knew that going into the deal. We did finish the 2004 T1950. It was a total restore from the ground up. It is now in perfect condition, better than new. The other project campers are still in a pile for parts drying out waiting for me to get to them.

The 2006 T1950 you are going to look at, is a very nice camper. The quality of the Solaris line is the same across all models, just the floor plans are different. Sunline was ahead of the pack when it came to quality when they were in operation. Yes, you paid a little more when they were new, but they are worth it. Sunline took more care and pride in building the camper and they did not cheap out, like many other brands still today. The dealers we bought our first new 2004 T2499 from use to love selling them. His comments, "We just love selling these, the quality is high and there as very little to no come backs once they leave our lots. We cannot say that about the bother brands we sell." Buying a new camper, in this day and age, there are many horror stories about warranty claims of things wrong with a camper. Not all brands, but many.

OK you get the point, Sunline is a good brand. But water damage can happen to any brand of camper and sadly, Sunlines can leak too pending what the camper was exposed to and how the owner used it and stored it.

The best way I know of to tell if there is water damage hidden in the ceiling or walls, is to use a moisture meter and scan the inside surface of the wall or ceiling. If you have time, get a meter. See this post showing how to use it and the one to buy. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...per-17613.html. Some Lowes stores stock them. If they do not have that model, they may other pinless meters made by General. I know the wall mode scale on the General very well. It lists moisture in scale of % from 0 to 100% and there is a PDF at the end of that post explaining the scale. Do not confuse this wall mode scale to % moisture in wood, it is not that.

I can type for hours on all the little details of your camper, but I will leave you with this. It is a good camper when it was made. Not sure if the owner bought it new or used, where they stored it, covered, inside a building or out in the open. And if they did any roof and siding seal maintenance. As a fast check with no meter, let your nose help guide you. Water damage that has festered in the walls or ceiling will start to smell like mildew. Open every cabinet and storage compartment and sniff. You may not be able to see the damage, it hides well but the smell can still be there. That said, the meter will find damage you can "not" see or smell inside the camper. The walls etc may look perfect inside the camper, the damage hides in the walls until it gets bad enough to start smelling or to see.

Hoping you will find a gem. There are some out there, and if you find some level of water damage, that does not mean no, don't buy it, but it gives you a heads up to help decide, can your fix it or not? If you have and can use basic wood tools, they are fixable. They will take time though. Hiring this kind of repair at current shop rates is not practical to do a large amount of work. The labor cost will hit 4 digits real quick. But, if you have the wood working skills, you can do it. We have many members doing just this, not only me.

I myself, would have no problem buying a Sunline as I know I can fix whatever is wrong with it. I may be biased that way, but I'm trying to give you some reality as can be on a camper that old.

The price, with the whole Covid situation the pricing is nuts. Things have started to tame down but not totally yet. While the $6,800 pre 2019 might be considered high on a private sale, that camper if it was in pristine shape in 2020 - 2022 could sell almost instantly. The price you pay, is only for you to decide if is worth it or not. If the camper is in really great shape, you can see how good the Sunline is if it has been well kept. You may not find a better condition camper elsewhere. I call it low odds that for a pristine 2006 Sunline of that size, you find under $5K now a days. At a dealership, that camper even being wet, as long as it looks great, could be listed between $,8K and $10K now a days. A year ago, known by the dealer and the buyer that it was wet, a 2007 T2499 sold at a dealer for $10K they listed it for $13K. To that buyer, it was worth it and he is working on the water damage.

This is hard to give you and easy yes or no answer. If the camper has minor water damage found by the moisture meter, yet, you can not see or smell it, depending on where it is, you can, seal it up and live with it for a while. I have sealed up a "minor" leak to later come back 6 to 7 years later and the rot did stop. I got to it just in time.

There is only one other area that I will highlight on what to look for. The camper frame header behind the battery. That camper has 4" channel iron A frame rails. Pending how the camper was towed with a WD hitch, the frame header may have been bent.

There is a long post on this topic, but see here this shorter condensed one. I show how to spot it and how to fix it pending how damaged it might be. This repair was on a 2004 T2475 I bought as a project camper. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...tml#post148050

If you see the header buckled in the center, just eye ball site down it, then the problem is there. It can be fixed, but you can use that to help lower the price, possible $500. The owner may not even know it's there.

Hope this helps and good luck. We are here to help as we can. Take lots of pics of things you may question.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 10:53 AM   #7

SUN #1546
apackoftwo is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been full-timing in my 2005 1950 for seven years! It has an amazing amount of storage for its size and the size also allows you to get in almost anywhere to camp

The others have given you valuable advise especially concerning water damage. I would not look at any camper with out getting an utilizing a moisture meter to check for any water damage in the walls, flooring and even the roof.

Link to Meter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HA...KIKX0DER&psc=1

John B turned me on to this one and I have used it to find leaks in my own camper.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:12 PM   #8

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
T1850, 1994

I'm thrilled with my T1850. I bought it used in 2012 and have travelled extensively since then. I towed it 4 times across the country from Durango to NJ and it is a solid camper. While parked in my mother's yard in NJ, a tree fell on it. It caused some damage but NOTHING out there compares to the well build Sunline campers. The walls held up, the closet was damaged and the gas vent above the refrigerator was damaged. When the tree hit the air conditioner it broke rafters and I repaired them and removed the AC unit. I love my Sunline and, like John B replied, its a good build and solid, but do look for water damage. I've replaced the dinette with a cool sitting area and added a new floor on top of the linoleum OEM. I removed a bench seat and installed wainscoting and a recliner. I've put thousands of miles on my sunny, and just returned from another 10 day trip to Zion. Heading to Utah again next week. Check out my photos in the gallery. Good luck with your new to you 1950.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:16 PM   #9

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi John, glad to see you're still out here, and still renovating sunlines. I was shopping for a bigger TT and when I saw what was out there I started researching older Sunlines in the 24-26' length. The newer campers are so poorly made compared. In the end, I'm just sticking with my T1850. Fondly, Kit
Old 03-16-2023, 06:27 PM   #10

SUN #250
HurleyMan
Hi outdoorman, I had one of these trailers. it was a 1996. We had a lot of fun with it. I agree with a lot of what Tinstaafl said. We loved the floorplan. It has great utilization of the space for the size. Water damage is my biggest concern when looking at any trailer. you know what to look for. Check every corner and around windows. If it smells musty, you know why. Tinstaafl's mention of looking at the roof on this model is important especially because it has a traditional non-walkable, rubber roof. I never had an issue with mine because I kept on top of things. Good luck.