Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 10-01-2019, 07:43 PM   #1

SUN #11557
Saturn is an unknown quantity at this point
Outside step

The only step measures 7 inches but about 3 inches stay under the camper after pulled out which makes it hard to step out on.. We added a handrail which helps but I have still hit the back of my legs when I step out. Is this on all Sunline Saturn TTs and had anyone else any suggestions on how they solved getting out safely.
Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191001_154120.jpg (84.1 KB, 8 views)

Old 10-02-2019, 05:41 PM   #2

SUN #11381
bawitt is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi.
Maybe not a solution you'd prefer but, I step out backwards.
Have fun!
Bw

Old 10-03-2019, 11:12 AM   #3

SUN #246
Janalee
Hi. We had the same situation on one of ours-made a template of the step adding a few inches to the front edge. Had a “step” made out of star plate and bolted it on top. Covered with some extra carpet. Worked just fine. Note:when you slide the step in it will stick out a bit so be careful how much you add! Hope this helps!
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:28 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi,

We do not have the older camper with that particular step issue, but we have had other step issues. And I can see and understand your problems. The newer campers with the single step do reach out further but it does not solve all the problems. I'm not sure what model year they changed. Our 2004 T1950 with the pull out single step clears the side of the camper with the back of the step. As FYI you can see it here. The camper is apart for repairs but you can see the step.

Here are some thoughts to hopefully help spur an idea you can build on.

Janalee's add on top plate idea is a good one to help add onto to what you now have. This does not take as much construction, but builds on what you have.

When we had our 2004 T2499, it had the single pull out step and even though it cleared the side of the camper, we still found it not the best to get in and out of the camper with. So I built a larger surface step and it worked very well. With this idea we just do not use the pull out step. It had lots of room, can even put shoes etc outside on it. See here.

It had 4 adjustable feet so you could level it out on any campsite, dirt, gravel, blacktop etc.

I stored it behind the LP tanks

If something like that interests you and you have someone to build it for you, I have more pics to share if wanted.

Another idea you can buy is a large sturdy movable step. We bought this one PA-102 as a 4th step adder to our current T310SR. I can attest to this is a very sturdy step.
https://www.strombergcarlson.com/pro...platform-step/

The issue with it, is the feet are not adjustable and you have to shim the feet so it does not rock on uneven ground. We made it work, but if you camp for many days at the same place, the shims seem to wiggle out and then the step is tippy and that is an issue.

I see now they make one with adjustable feet. This one, the model PA-250
https://www.etrailer.com/Tools/Strom...on/PA-250.html

I linked the Etrailer as they sell them cheaper then direct to Stromberg Carlson and Etrailer has lots of pics of them. And I can't seem to find the PA-250 on SC website but yet is shows up in their hard catalog. Here are all of them https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Too...g_Carlson.aspx

The platform may not be as big, and the leg adjustment is not a screw type with fine adjustment, but is has click and stop locations which is better then the PA-102 we had.

With any of the separate steps is the weight of it. These were not a problem for me, but not knowing your situation make sure you look at the weight you can lift it, and then where to store it.

There is also an option to change the entire step on the camper. You cut off the old and bolt on a new one. There are many options on new steps to pick from. Depending on what and who can do the work, this may or may not be an option for you. A friend who has metal working tools can do it without issue.

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote