Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 PM   #1

SUN #207
Shelly
opening the awning for the first time

We're headed north where it rains in the summer and I'm probably going to want to use the awning. This is our first trailer and I want to look like I know what I'm doing at the campground and not like a scene from "The Long Long Trailer" with Luci and Desi ...

What's the smoothest way to get that thing out?

Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 05:27 AM   #2

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Shelly,

Sometimes is easiest with 2 people. Here how we do it.

1. Have a person at both the back and front support bars
Each person then:

2. Loosen the black adjustment knob on each awning support/rafter bar.

3. Unlatch the awning’s rafter bar from inside the support bar by pushing on each side of the black wing tabs.
Some awnings have a lock knob that locks over the front of the support arm. If you have this type, just flip the lock knob out of the way.

4. The person on the front bar, unlock the awning roller by moving the lever forward. The lever is on the front end of the awning roller. I use the round end of the awning bar / pull rod to do this.

5. Each person (on front & back awning support bars), grab and pull down to unroll the awning.

6. Slide awning rafter bar up the support bar until it snaps in place.

7. Push down on the awning roller / support bar to remove slack from the awning and tighten the black adjustment knob of the awning’s rafter bar.

8. Raise the awning by pulling up on the lift handle on the outside of each support bar and lift up.

9. Raise each side to desired height. Have one side of the awning slightly higher than the other side, this will promote rain run-off.

10. Once at the desired height, check to see if the door(s) open without hitting / scraping the awning. Raise the awning higher if the top of the door hits the awning.

For a single person to open the awning, everything is the same, just when you pull the awning open, use the awning’s pull rod/bar. Attach the awning’s pull rod’s hook into the loop of the awning’s pull strap and pull the awning down.

I keep the awning's support arms attached to the trailer. But you can disconnect them from the trailer and set them up as vertical supports. If you do that, make sure you stack them down.

See the Awning User's Guide on the File's page for additional information and instructions for opening the open with 1 person. You may want to print this file out and take it with you.

Good luck.
Hutch

Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 PM   #3

SUN #115
emam
No one can be as descriptive as Hutch or explain things better, so we'll leave it at that

Pat

Pat & Cindy Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.com
www.lowkeyhideaway.com
emam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:17 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll second that! The only thing I'll add though is it's not totally impossible sounding to put it up with one person. I do it that way all the time. There's only one point when I wish I had a second person, and that's when I have to release the lever to roll the awning back up. It's hard to release it and work my way over to the strap, and then have to hook up the rod, unless you are fortunate enough to have a broken spring like I am. Other than that, having a second person only speeds the process up.

Just as preventative maintenance, you will want to lube moving parts of the awning, especially the black adjustment knobs. I've had two trailers now that those knobs freeze up and one had to be cut off. My most recent had this problem but I was able to free it with a little help from Liquid Wrench.

Also, when you roll it up, it's a good idea to sweep off any loose branches or leaves so they don't get stuck in the roll. Also, if it's rained, you should dry it off before rolling it up. If you roll it in the rain, you should open it as soon as you get home so it can properly dry out. If you don't, you'll have the present the previous owner of mine left me...a smelly mildewy dirty mess!

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:53 AM   #5

SUN #207
Shelly
Thanks!

The awning instructions are great! Thanks so much!
Shelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:43 AM   #6

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a thought....when you roll up your awining....hold on to that web (usually balck) strap - otherwise it could roll up with a BANG!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote