Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 02-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #1

SUN #4815
maria0425 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile OK to Buy Sunline TT (Permanent Spot) Since Sunline Closed?

Hi All.

I am a newbie and have found this site super informative.

I am thinking of buying a 1998 Sunline travel trailer, parked in a permanent lake front site in a campground on Lake Erie in Westfield near Chautauqua, NY. (I live in the Buffalo area.) It also has a 12 X 24 add a room attached for extra space.

My question is buying a Sunline since I read that the company closed in 2006. Will that make it hard to get parts should I need replacements of anything? Are parts still available even though the company went out of business?

I am also interested in hearing from others with a permanent location and use their travel trailers for a weekend getaway near home, always in the same location.

Thanks. I appreciate any and all feedback.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Maria,

Well, we've survived just over six years without them...

Seriously, there aren't many Sunline specific parts on these things. The biggies are exterior decals, fender skirts, cabinets, and fabric items like cushions/curtains:

- Decals, well you can live without them, but decal shops can reproduce these for a cost.
- Fender skirts, companies do recreate these and you can find similar ones too. '98 skirts are very simple and a common design, so it could be easy to replace. But if you aren't towing it and they're good now, it shouldn't be a problem.
- Cabinet parts- you can't replace a cabinet without disassembling a lot of the trailer. I doubt you could have gotten a '98 door even from Sunline in '06. A custom woodworking shop/cabinet maker should be able to match these closely if you did need a replacement. EMD_Driver has a source for these who does a BEAUTIFUL job. Long story short, he was tasked with a very special project recently and his results are simply stunning.

- Furniture: the couch and chair are both Flexsteel brand and could be replaced from them if need be, but in a similar fabric. I doubt any of the fabrics are available now, and I suspect they weren't in '06 either. They're usually only available for a couple years after production. Many people recover seats and cushions with new fabric on older trailers anyway.

If you have any questions about other parts of the trailer, let us know. Your appliances are all name brand in the industry and parts are readily available for all of them still.

One thing you may want to look into though is the refrigerator. These were recalled a couple years ago and if it hasn't moved off this site, it probably wasn't done. It's important to get it done and an RV dealer may make a service call to the site to do it.

We do have one person (Drake) on here who does have his trailer set up permanently in VA. I know about how you want to use the trailer and it's a VERY common thing all along the east coast, but it seems that many people in that situation aren't on this forum or aren't active. I think there's a ton of Sunlines set up permanently in campgrounds all around SE PA, Maryland, and the Jersey Shore.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #3

SUN #4815
Smile Thanks for your reply.

Sunline Fan,

Thanks so much for your thoughtful and detailed reply to my post. Feeling better about looking at a Sunline. Is there a way to get in touch with Drake to talk to him about permanently placed trailers or is it a question of him stumbling upon my post and responding? I sure would love some input from him on this particular situation I am considering.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
Top of page you will find Community, Click on it and a drop down screen will show members list. Click on it and members names will come up along with alphabet heading Click on D and all D's will show. At bottom of 1st page is a list of page #'s. Drake is on page 6 Click on his name and a a screen will appear that you can send him a personal message. Hope I made it clear enough
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #5

SUN #123
What Jim said, and here's a direct link:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/pr...o=newpm&u=1340
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 02-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #6

SUN #4035
O Canada is an unknown quantity at this point
Greetings Maria. We have a 2007 T1950 parked at a lake resort just 10 minutes from our home near Edmonton, Alberta. We've had that trailer and lake lot for just one season and are very happy with the arrangement. Our site has power and available water. We have to fill our water tank from a nearby water tap. No septic available to us as we are on the water (environmental concerns). We use a blue boy (portable waste tank on wheels) to haul the black water to a septic tank on site or we can hire the operator to bring his pump truck as required. Overall the arrangement is terrific. Allows us to use the trailer during the day and either stay over or go home. We often go for morning coffee and a canoe paddle or a evening fire. We use it in some fashion 3 to 4 days per week. We don't have a proper tow vehicle at present so this is how we will use the Sunline until we do.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #7

SUN #4815
Smile Thanks for the replies/Questions for O Canada

Thanks for all the info. O Canada you are only 10 minutes from your house. Wow! That is really close. I would be about 70 miles from my trailer, a straight shot on the thruway. It could be a day trip, but I would be more likely to stay overnight several straight days. O Canada, you said you go to your trailer 3 or 4 nights a week. How often do you stay overnight? Do you do a lot of shlepping of clothes, food and toiletries? I guess being just 10 minutes away it would not matter if you forgot something you needed--you could just run home for it.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:16 PM   #8

SUN #4035
We leave a couple changes of clothes, toiletries and basic food in the trailer. The fridge and freezer are large enough to leave adequate perishable foods but we generally have a bag full of stuff, food or otherwise every time we go. Buy the unit and enjoy.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #9

SUN #3259
Mellow Yellow is an unknown quantity at this point
I might suggest you keep extra prescription meds and eyeglasses in your car. If you leave a few extra sets of clothes, canned food, flashlight, soaps, batteries, etc. in the trailer you should be set. You can always go out and buy things, but you cannot easily get your meds or glasses. We've been to many campgrounds where they have permanent trailers. Most seem like a little neighborhood and everyone is very friendly. So, borrowing matches or sugar is likely done all the time! One of our favorites, near Lake George, has many members who gather around a fire at someone's campsite each night, for drinks and conversation. Some friends of ours have stayed there all summer for years. Theirs is a big motor home, but they don't go anywhere but to this campground in the Spring and home in the Fall.
2001 Sunline Solaris T-250 SR

Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #10

SUN #64
MACK C-85 is an unknown quantity at this point
My family had a trailer (first couple of years a 28' travel trailer, then a 35' park model) for about 15 years in Fenwick Island, Delaware. We were about 2 miles inland from the Atlantic Ocean. There were over 1000 sites in the campground and I would say better than 90% of them were seasonal.

The only thing that was significantly different than "come and go" camping was you were required to tie-down the camper. We had about three foot long auger ties and cables wrapped around the frame on the camper. The park model actually had metal "hurricane straps" built into the unit. These were strips of sheet metal approx. 1 1/2" wide that went under the siding, over the trailer and out the other side. They made special augers with a roller on them for the strapping.

We carried clothes and perishables...everthing else was left at the trailer.

Mack

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Club Cab 4x4 CTD
2007 Sunline Solaris T-276-SR: Misty Blue/Cherry
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4x4 OFF-ROAD
MACK C-85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #11

SUN #2431
bdichristina is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Maria and welcome.
We have learned so much from this forum. Daily reading is a part of our routine in hopes of learning something new. We have 2 Sunline trailers which have both required extensive work.
If you need any help with finding parts, let us know. We have found many resources for parts that work with the Sunline. We are also in the Buffalo area, on Grand Island, so we are not far from you.
Camping has been a great way for us to meet new people, kick back, relax, and spend quality time together. Some day we want to have a permanent site also. Keep us posted.
2009 Jay Feather Sport 165 - "Little Bird"
Former: '03 Super Duty, '04 Suburban, '84 Sunline T-1750, '99 Sunline T-2553, '04 Terry Quantum AX6,
bdichristina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #12

SUN #4815
Thanks all. I too am learning a lot and soaking up information like a sponge. I also make it part of my daily routine to check out this forum. This is a very friendly group and a very special place. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #13

SUN #4035
questions regarding seasonal camping

While we're on this topic, are there any special precautions or things one should do as a seasonal camper. Tire care comes to mind. Covers and maybe some rubber treatment. What about leveling jacks? Is it ok to use the levelers on the trailer long term or should I be using some stand alone type of jacks to level and to also take some weight off the tires / suspension? Thoughts or opinions please.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #14

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Canada View Post
While we're on this topic, are there any special precautions or things one should do as a seasonal camper. Tire care comes to mind. Covers and maybe some rubber treatment. What about leveling jacks? Is it ok to use the levelers on the trailer long term or should I be using some stand alone type of jacks to level and to also take some weight off the tires / suspension? Thoughts or opinions please.
Depending on how long you plan to park it, I'd just cover the tires and call it a day. If you plan to leave the trailer parked for five years (or the tires are already a couple years old), I wouldn't worry much about them because they'll need to be replaced before you do any serious towing with them anyway. I'd cover them more to keep the wheels clean/from rusting than protecting the tires.

Sure, you can use leveling jacks long term. Just be aware that it's possible they'll back off just a little over time, so you may need to snug them up again. It just happens because the screw doesn't have a brake on it at all. Granted the typical scissor jacks are rated for much more than your 1950, so they probably won't unwind with that. I'd be hesitant to use blocks or something solid because you could bend the frame of the trailer.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:24 AM   #15

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Another solution.... Bulldog Winter Wheels

Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote