Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #1

SUN #618
coal_miner4
Send a message via Yahoo to coal_miner4
NEW sunline owner with several questions!!!

WE just bought out 94 sunline it is 27 feet long, with the bunks in the back by the bathroom and the queen bed in front.

I have been trying to get onto this site for so long to get my questions answered, but right now I can't think of all of them.

one of them is, what are the little silver things on the side of the camper with the door? they are around the bedroom window and also down the side, they spin around, and are about 3/4 of an inch long. It is driving me crazy!!!

Also we have had a leak that has been fixed but the paneling in the inside still needs replaced, where do I get that, and how do I fix it?

one more thing, our camper sat for the last 4 years at least at a campsite and stayed there, it had the plumbing hooked up so you didn't have to go have it drained and also the water was hooked up, I have cleaned the camper inside and out for the last week, but it reaks of onions and garlic, I think it is a sewage problem, what can I do to get rid of the smell? is it ok to put ridx in the drains and let them sit for a couple of weeks? we aren't going camping til the 14th, so that should give it plenty of time to clean everything out, but don't want to ruin the plumbing.

That is all that I can think of for right now! I am sure I will have plenty more questions!

WE are fairly new at this, last year we bought our first camper and it was a 19 foot 1972 terry, this year we upgraded and plan on sticking with this camper for a while, we only used ours twice last year.

Thanks guys! I really enjoy reading all of the other post!

Old 05-29-2008, 08:42 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NEW sunline owner with several questions!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coal_miner4
WE just bought out 94 sunline it is 27 feet long, with the bunks in the back by the bathroom and the queen bed in front.
Hmm, sounds like a 2670. There's a few who have owned them on here, so they can help with floorplan specific questions.

Quote:
what are the little silver things on the side of the camper with the door? they are aroung the bedroom window and also down the side, they spin around, and are about 3/4 of an inch long. It is driving me crazy!!!
This sounds like something added on for a screenroom. Especially since it sat at a campground, I'd say it's pretty likely they had one set up. Usually they just attach to the unit using snaps, but this could be some custom made thing that had custom fasteners.

Quote:
Also we have had a leak that has been fixed but the paneling in the inside still needs replaced, where do I get that, and how do I fix it?
Go to any RV dealer. They can order a panel, and many times, if a company has to ship something large, they'll use a spare one to ship the stuff. Many RV dealers keep these as they really don't get damaged and if there is any existing damage, most likely it can be cut off. If you can get a small piece of yours, take it with you to match it up. Find one as close as possible and it shouldn't stand out too much.

Quote:
is it ok to put ridx in the drains and let them sit for a couple of weeks? we aren't going camping til the 14th, so that should give it plenty of time to clean everything out, but don't want to ruin the plimbing.
I would recommend just putting a few gallons of bleach down the drains and drive around with that. You may want to add a little water. This should kill anything in the tanks, including on the sidewalls.

I'll look for some pics of a '94 2670 and I'll post them. Please tell me if you see those silver things in the pic.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #3

SUN #123
Was your coach by chance at Shady Oaks Campground in Monticello, IN? I just found one that matches your description perfectly, though the pics are too small to see what all you've mentioned.

Here's the pic I promised:

While I was at it, assuming your coach is the one at Shady Oaks, here's the pics I have:

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 05-29-2008, 08:57 PM   #4

SUN #618
coal_miner4
YES!!!! that's my baby! and that is where we bought it, no screen porch just the deck.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:49 AM   #5

SUN #246
Janalee
BLEACH!!!!

BE VERY CAREFUL-------I DO BELIEVE JON MEANT TO SAY A FEW CUPS OF BLEACH---NOT GALLONS!!!!!! THEN FILL WITH WATER AND DRIVE AROUND...LET IT SIT FOR OVERNIGHT AT LEAST AND MAKE SURE YOU VENTILATE WELL!!! PUT IN BOTH TANKS--KITCHEN WATER IS JUST THE SAME as BATHROOM WATER WHEN IN A HOLDING TANK....Rinse tanks out after as well so you don't mix in other chemicals by mistake...and make sure your water heater bypass is on or you will be smelling bleach in your hot water for a long, long time!Now you may find it is the drains that stink in the kitchen,bath sink AND SHOWER!!! They can get REALLY raunchy. I have found putting a third of a box of baking soda in each,then a cup of white vinegar to fizz--let this fizzy cocktail sit for an hour or so, then flush with very hot water. I actually do this about every two months or so when I notice that garlic and onion odor. The water that lies in that shower drain is a big culprit since people who are at campgrounds permanently rarely use the shower in their unit. We NEVER do--it is our closet!so I have experrience with that prpoblem you see....Good luck! Jan
'96 2553 & '95 1950 Sunlines
'95 and '98 Solaris 2653's
2002 Solaris T-2363
Janalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:40 AM   #6

SUN #123
Re: BLEACH!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janalee
BE VERY CAREFUL-------I DO BELIEVE JON MEANT TO SAY A FEW CUPS OF BLEACH---NOT GALLONS!!!!!! THEN FILL WITH WATER AND DRIVE AROUND...LET IT SIT FOR OVERNIGHT AT LEAST AND MAKE SURE YOU VENTILATE WELL!!! PUT IN BOTH TANKS--KITCHEN WATER IS JUST THE SAME as BATHROOM WATER WHEN IN A HOLDING TANK
Sorry Jan, I should have been more specific. I did mean gallons- to put in the Black & Gray tanks only by pouring it down the drains and traps. Yes, by all means, do not put anywhere this much bleach in the fresh water tank, lines, or water heater.

Jon
Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 AM   #7

SUN #225
Mark
Also, you can try charcoal (not the pre-soaked in starter fluid type ) piled up in a few buckets, and close the place up.

The unlit charcoal should "soak" up some of the air smell. Buy the cheapest you can find, and don't skimp in quantity.

The more you put out, and more air each briquette can reach, the better. (big open trays, better than piles of coals in buckets).

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #8

SUN #618
coal_miner4
we aren't noticing the smell, all that bad in the camper itself, the odor is mainly at the back and you notice it when standing OUTSIDE of the camper, almost like really bad body odor, or the onion and garlic smell
Old 05-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #9

SUN #618
coal_miner4
NEW QUESTION!!!

OH OH OH I can't believe I forgot this question!!!

I went to plug my camper in so that I could figure out what does what and my plug is bigger than a 110 and smaller than a 220, what is the thing called to convert it to fit into my 110 outlet, and where in the world do I find it?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:25 PM   #10

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NEW QUESTION!!!

Quote:
I went to plug my camper in so that I could figure out what does what and my plug is bigger than a 110 and smaller than a 220, what is the thing called to convert it to fit into my 110 outlet, and where in the world do I find it?
Jason,

It's called a 30 Amp to 15 Amp converter.
It looks like this:

You can get them at Wal-Mart.

Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:08 PM   #11

SUN #618
coal_miner4
Thanks Hutch!!

That really helps out!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:27 PM   #12

SUN #618
coal_miner4
ok, so we finally got the thing to hook the camper up at home, and the smell is getting sooooo bad, I pushed the button for the holding tanks, and it says tank one is 2/3 and tank 2 is 1/3, so does this mean they have crap in them...no pun intended! could this be the source of the foul smell???
Old 06-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #13

SUN #98
PTHutch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
... it says tank one is 2/3 and tank 2 is 1/3, so does this mean they have crap in them...no pun intended! could this be the source of the foul smell???
That would be the first place I would start.

I would suggest you taking the trailer to a dump station and clean out the tanks. Here's a web site that lists Dump Stations that may help you locate one near you. Also if there's a campground near you, most campground will allow you to use their dump stations for a minimal fee.

If you don't have one, you may want to pick up a holding tank rinsing wand.
One type looks like this:

You may be able to find one at Wal-Mart. These help in clearing out the black tank really well. While at the dump station, connect the wand to a hose, put it through the bathrrom window and the wand down the toilet. Turn it on and spray out the tank really good with the black tank valve open.

Hope this helps.
Hutch
Sunlines: 2005 Solaris T-280SR; 1999 Solaris T-2670; 1998 Saturn T-24A
PTHutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #14

SUN #597
henryj
Full tanks

Every time I hear of someone buying a trailer with full tanks it reminds me of all the times the previous occupant has messed up a campsite--disgusting.

I'm assuming your trailer is no longer in a park and that you intend to tow it. Here're some tips I have read about in various sources.

1. Buy a clear 45 degree hose adapter.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...r/skunum=16835
I use this one with bayonet lugs because I have that kind of hose. Any RV dealer will have this. Then you can see what's coming out of the tanks. (This adapter is also useful upside down as it raises the hose up off the ground for dumping into slightly elevated sewer openings.)

2. At the dump site, dump the black tank first. The rinsing wand has its place, but if you think the tank is really grungy you won't get it clean in one try with a wand and of course it only works in the black tank. Use the wand to move whatever will move while a helper watches the clear elbow.

3. Dump the gray tank and pour at least a full pail of water down the sink while the helper watches the elbow. You might want to do this a couple of times so you have mostly clean water in the hose before handling it again.

4. Put a full pail of water with 2-3 caps full of cheap scented dish detergent down the gray tank. Dump 2-3 large bags of ice down the toilet. Drive around for 20 min or so while the ice melts and bangs around inside the black tank.

5. Back at the dumpsite, use the wand again and if the black tank especially doesn't look fairly clean, repeat the whole process again. Always put water in the gray tank to rinse the hose.

Some other suggestions:
It might be cheaper going camping, with a sewer connection, and taking at least half a day to do this before finally setting up. When you think you're done, use lots of water, get the tanks fairly full and let them soak for a day before dumping. I would suggest, at least for now, not putting anything but liquid down the tanks--see below.

People have various ways of coping with the unpleasantness of sewage. Once you know it's your own, it's no worse than changing a diaper. My motto, adapted from cottagers, is: if it's yellow, take a hike; if it's brown, hike faster. All assuming proper facilities are in reach. We also don't flush yellow tp--it goes into the garbage which is dumped every day--no fuss--no smell--trust me. All of this makes dumping tanks much simpler in the end. I always rinse the tanks after dumping and if we're headed home put a pail of the previously mentioned soapy water down to give them a good rinse on the road. I live on a large mostly rural property and can dispose of this water in a variety of ways much like the cows do--or, let's just say I drain it into a big Tupperware container

Use one of the holding tank chemicals that has valve lubricant added fairly often. I use it for every 3rd tank or so, but we don't use our tanks heavily and there's just two of us.

One other thing--never leave the tank valves open even with full hook-ups. A full tank flushes cleaner and you want lots of gray water to rinse the hose after.

Hope some of this helps.

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #15

SUN #597
henryj
Black Tank Cleaning

I just re-read this thread and realized you're a family of 4--your tanks will get heavier use than ours do. Use chemicals in the black tank all the time. They help break up tp and solids.

Always dump a pail of water down the toilet first thing--at home even. The ratio of solids to liquid tends to be high in black tanks and this helps avoid the dreaded "outhouse syndrome"--don't ask, just imagine the worst.

Never let the tanks stew for a week until you go camping again. They are best dumped when full, but I use this Flush King to do that if I have to dump a partial tank before hitting the road again--we travel more than stay at one place. Any RV dealer will have this or something similar.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/s...20522&src=SRQB

Henry
henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:28 AM   #16

SUN #379
2beagles
We use this one. It also works pretty well to get the remaining solids out. I've also used Calgon water softener in the tanks. It loosens the solids from the walls of the black tank. Dissolve some in a few gallons of water before heading to the CG, and when you dump, it's amazing how much more solids come out.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...2096:src=UPSE"

2017 F-150 Crew Cab
2003 2570
2beagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:22 AM   #17

SUN #549
frank
Quote:
ok, so we finally got the thing to hook the camper up at home, and the smell is getting sooooo bad, I pushed the button for the holding tanks, and it says tank one is 2/3 and tank 2 is 1/3, so does this mean they have crap in them...no pun intended! could this be the source of the foul smell???
Step on the pedal and take a peek down the toilet. If it is full, that's no fun, but it could be worse.. Mine was full when I bought it. It was also frozen.. when it thawed I found a nice puddle under the rig - both the black tank and the drain plumbing were cracked.

I was afraid to drive it to a dump station for fear of having the tank or pipes break further, so I bought a Macerator pump so I could dump it where it sat.

If by chance you are local to me (I'm 15 minutes outside Philly), I'd be more than happy to bring the pump by so you could get it thoroughly cleaned out.

- Frank