Here's the bad news, or good news, if you think that this tree could have landed on my mother's house instead of mine.
In early August, a storm with gale force winds came though NJ, where my camper sits in my mother's yard. The tree was removed by my brother and friends, and he used his jeep to tow it off the roof. I live in Colorado and drove east in my tow vehicle with plans to tow my 1850 back home. When I got here in NJ I was able to assess the damage. Not too bad, considering.
There are multiple holes, gashes, in the roof, and so far, only two of them penetrated to the cabin. They have been mitigated with Perma Bond and Gorilla Tape.
The biggest gash did NOT penetrate the roof. so far it seems dry below.
The major damage was the "hit" the AC unit took, pushing it down, causing some breakage in the roof rafters, mostly just below the AC unit, in the closet, and about 3 foot wide section of roof. Secondary to that hit, the trees also struck the refrigerator vent cover and pushed the vent down into the back of refrigerator, as well as the wardrobe.
I don't see that repair as major, just time consuming, because I just finished installing a new vent and cover (camco.)
The first night I spent in the camper while raining, I was able to see that most of the camper was dry, but water was leaking from around the AC unit, as you can see by some of the damage to the interior seam in the ceiling. Although it only leaked about 1 cup of water, that's enough for me to need the repair and to problem solve.
The major interior damage is along the rafter right next to the AC unit. The 14x14" opening is intact. I removed the interior air box and will remove the AC unit by hoisting it off the roof, then I plan to cover that opening with some plywood and seal it from moisture for my drive home to Colorado. I have added some lumber to raise the parts of the roof where the broken rafters are located, and will do a bit more of that mitigation before towing home.
I plan to "sandwich the 14x14 opening" inside and on the roof and stabilize from below. I learned the hard way that I also need to put a layer of plywood over my sweet floor, as I am now hearing squeaks when walking over an area that I placed a vertical 1x4" support.
I was able to hoist up the corner of the roof AC unit, and sure enough there was a gash where the metal box below the compressor hit the roof, I taped it up with perma bond 4" and now I need the whole unit moved so I can check the other suspected leaks below the roof unit. More on that...
Here are some interior photos. More in my album.