Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #1

SUN #1469
daywalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Major water heater problem

Hi all. I have to start out by saying so far, using the search feature, I had been able to find and fix 2 of my 3 problems. The first 2 problems, a crack in the black water tank, started fixing that today! and the second, water was leaking out from around my tub flowing into the area of my water heater area. Another quick search and boom, took off the little access panel in my closet area and what do you know, the hose had broke off from the cold side of the shower control knob, easy fix. Thats 2 down one to go.

We went camping this past weekend, hooked the water up and water was just flowing like a water fall out the back of the camper . Found that is was leaking around the hot water heater. We are new to TT as we only camped by tent for many a year till the family grew, then was given a free 15' tt water damage like crazy, so basically gutted that out and built benches and beds and cabinets out of 2x2 but no water tanks or black water tanks took all out including propane hookup nothing salvagable so I basically made a hard shell tent on wheels. But hey it got us out camping.

Now this is the first time ever owning something really nice. 1997 Sunline Saturn T-22B. The wife was into baby sitting at the time, 2 years ago and this couple was needing a babysitter but they did not want to pay. They approached my wife and said hey, we don't camp, the wife does not like being dirty or grimey, you baby sit our boy for a year and this camper is yours. So we took it.

Ok back to the problem at hand. Got to looking, and this water heater was swolling and bowed out like crazy. Last time I take anybodies word that its winterized without double checking myself. Got the water heater out today oh boy oh boy. The whole bottom half of the tank is split wide open.

Now I need a water heater and not a lot of money to purchase one as I lost my job on Thursday of last week. The wife still works but nothing substantial till I get another job.

I have a water heater from antoher camper that was wrecked years ago. Picked this one up from my mom's garage. The water heater would not fit through the hole with the styrophone around the tank. So I temp took that off. Got the water heater into the holw and into the place the old one was. Not so lucky. The outer face of the water heater does not cover the entire hole or line up with any of the mounting holes like I was hoping.

I am at a lost. I really do not know what to do. Kinda aggrevated right now so I walked away from it for the time being. The wife is wanting to go camping in a couple of weeks LOL. Don't think that is going to happen.

Any Ideas? any way to mod this to make it work? I am not sure if I can get the styraphone back around the tank as it is a tight tight fit. How would I cover the tank to insulate it??

All help is most appreciated. How expensive are these little water heaters? What would be the right replacement for the one that I just took out??

Thanks a bunch....

daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #2

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Tommy, Welcome to the Sunline Owners Club (SOC), you came to the right place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker View Post
.... hooked the water up and water was just flowing like a water fall out the back of the camper . Found that is was leaking around the hot water heater. .....
Yikes! - been there, done that, never got the T-shirt. I found out the hard way that my 1 year old, new to me, Sunline had never been winterized. My tank had the crack at the top.

You probably have an Atwood, 6 gallon water heater. What specific model do you have?

I ended up replacing just the tank but the company I bought it from is now out of business so that would not help you now. I think I ended up paying about $200 but that was in 2004.

Here are a couple of links you might want to look at for tank only or a complete heater.

Tank: $165 to $260
Atwood Water Heater Tanks Atwood Replacement Inner Tank Atwood Inner Tank Atwood Inner Tanks

Complete heater: $280 to $480+
Atwood Water Heater Atwood Water Heaters Atwood RV Water Heater Atwood Trailer Water Heater Atwood Camper Water Heater Atwood Motorhome Water Heater Atwood Motor Home Water Heater

Here is my old one. (click for a larger image)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tank1.jpg (50.5 KB, 3 views)

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

SUN #1469
daywalker is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the reply Gene. I have the Atwood 6 gallon GL6AA-7 model according to the book that I have. This is a 3 ring binder. Evidently, this camper was bought to rent out at campgrounds, then this other person purchased it on ebay. He told me that the floor had rotted and that he had completely replaced the floor which now have nice hard would flooring, the laminate type. I am beginning to wonder if he just did not go over top the old stuff sistering it.

I do appreciate those links. One of the tanks I am looking at is an Atwood 6 gallon G6A7 model for I believe 269.00. I will prob have to save up for it. The wife never really used the water heater before and she said she could go without one longer. She usually just boiled the water for washing dishes and then used the shower house at the campground we frequent. I am not really big on using their facilities, I make sure that I keep flipflops on while in the shower and I personally look forward to using the shower in my ver own camper. Kinda like moving up in the world LOL.

I am going to check out those links you posted may find something else!! I guess it would not hurt to place a temp plyboard sheet on the inside of the hole where the water heater was, and then drill a hole in each of the corner of the outer door to temp screw it in place for the added look until I can get another water heater. Right now I have the hot water and cold water off the water heater and hooked them together as a loop to totally bypass the water heater so we will at least have water
daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote