Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-28-2014, 03:44 PM   #1

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
It's always something...

So it seems that when you get one thing working on an older RV like my old 88 Seville, two other things need fixing. I replaced my foot activated water flush valve on the toilet this trip. That was a fairly easy repair. Two screws, two hoses and a little Teflon tape, and she was as good as new. Just a note...I have the old Dometic toilet 910, and I went to the RV place to get the valve, and they wanted something like 38 bucks for it. I decided to check ebay before I bought one, and lo and behold, they had one on there for 18 bucks. It was the same one, in the sealed Dometic plastic bag, I had looked at, at the RV place. I don't mind paying a little extra for having an RV dealer close by, otherwise, businesses that you don't patronize are like a stray cat you don't feed.....they disappear. However, I refuse to pay double the price for something I can buy elsewhere.

Also, I need some advice and info folks, if you please. I have some water damage that occurred since my last trip up a couple of weeks ago. The damage is to the ceiling panel just to the right of the galley entrance door. There is a section of the ceiling panel that is a little soft and the white ( I am assuming ...plastic???) surface of the panel, in about 9 inches or so looks kind of like wood veneer when it buckles when it gets wet...wavy. So I went outside, got my ladder and found the end of a molding strip just above area of the leak that looked kind of suspicious...now I know you guys don't like to use caulk to do roof repairs in lieu of butyl, but my trailer is permanently situated and won't be moving around any more, so it is suitable for my purposes, I believe. Anyway, examined the roof/molding strip/entire area around the leak and hopefully repaired the leak...we'll see So the question is...WHAT do I do, or WHEN do I do something about the interior. Should I wait until I see if the leak is fixed? Should I go in there right away for fear mold and mildew and rot will ensue...have ensued???? You've never failed me yet Sunliners...what's my next step?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Drake,

The leak has to be stopped. Do not know what the roof area looks like but Eternabond tape is an option pending where and what the leak is. Got any pics? We can help better if we know what you are up against.

The cieling, if it is wet and just stated, my opinion now is the time to deal with it. The structure can be dried out and any wet insulation removed. That insulation is not going to dry left stuck up in there. And left in place wet, over time, a year or more bad damage can come. Water is like cancer to a camper when it is stuck inside the walls, floor or cieling. Get rid of it early and the camper survives. Left wet, the disease keeps spreading.

Good luck and let us know how we can help

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:35 AM   #3

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Will do, John. I guess, I am leery of cutting into that ceiling without knowing how to replace it so it doesn't look worse than it did before I cut into it. How does one go about patching something like that. I'm not so much worried about repairing any structural damage I find as I don't feel or see any other damage at this point except the ceiling area...though I realize there may be more damage than I think...it's the covering of the "entrance wound " I make in the ceiling to get to the damage that has me worried...how do I replace it so it looks good again? Sorry about not having pics to post of this, but it looks as I described above...I will take pictures next time.