Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-15-2015, 04:44 AM   #1

SUN #7736
Bee-Jen is an unknown quantity at this point
how to remove top trim to open roof from outside?

As the title says, can anyone confirm how to remove the vinyle trim around the top of a fiberglass trailer so that I can lift the edpm, repair and close up again? I have a T2675 Tran-sport with a -very- mushy roof in the front section only. I'll be doing the work myself based on all the info I've found on here and a bit through google. I'll be removing the awning but that seems easy enough... a few screws and have to slide out of the 'strip'

So, in preparation for this, I'd like to know ahead of time how best to remove the trim so as to damage as little as possible. For the front, I know that there are screws to be freed under the roof sealant (hidden under the tape in my picture). For both sites, I have a roof gutter that runs along the length of the trailer. My guess is that the screws are hidden underneath the vinyl strip just above the gutter. In my picture, my trim is showing signs of pink.

How do I pry off/remove this curved trim going down the front? Are there screws hiding out beneath it? This trim is 'hard' as opposed to a bit softer like the vinyl strip over the gutter area. I know there's putty tape or butyle tape under there right now, but is that enough to hold things in place?

For reference, this is the the mushy area, taken immediately after initial roof cleaning a few weeks ago. I've since put on new MaxairrII's over the vents as the original ones were breaking apart just looking at them.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:19 AM   #2

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
OK as far as know the white "trim" should be removable by starting at a corner and lifting it out of the "track".....under there you will find MANY screws holding the track in place - some may be rusted....so be patient.

The vinyl trim is a replaceable item - someone just purchased some - hope they come along soon and tell you where! Also there is a post here that explains how to replace the trim into the track!!!!!

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

SUN #6633
Fletch77 is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a 200 ft roll of vinyl trim (white) tell me how much you need. All I ask is pay for shipping USPS 2 day. I will get price for you before I ship it, I think it's 10.75.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #4

SUN #7676
East Coast is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm watching this thread intently, as I too will be tackling this in time. If you have time, please post up some pics along the way.
2005 F-150 4WD 5.4L 3.73 rear
East Coast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 12:38 PM   #5

SUN #7736
Bee-Jen is an unknown quantity at this point
So I started the job.

For the side trim as shown above, here's a picture of moving the vinyl trim and where to find the screw. The trim is also folded back around the C channel, that's how there's no loose:

The picture shows that the front moulding has also been partially removed. The screw was hidden in the sealant and was holding the trim down.

For the curious ones, here's the first glimps of the edpm being lifted and how wet things were:

and most of the wet section removed and opened up for drying. It looks like we caught this at the right time as very little of the wood has turned black, it was simply very wet.

So now to finish up my shopping list and go out to purchase plywood, staples, etc. I had one of my sunline truses that was broken so I'll also be fixing that and taking pictures of the process.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 AM   #6
sep

SUN #7710
sep is an unknown quantity at this point
This a great post! Thanks for sharing!! Can you tell where it was leaking from? On mine, the roof has some dry rot cracking and I'm not sure if the water is coming in there or around the trim. It is in the rear corner that has the most issues so it is part of the wall and floor that needs attention. Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee-Jen View Post
So I started the job.

For the side trim as shown above, here's a picture of moving the vinyl trim and where to find the screw. The trim is also folded back around the C channel, that's how there's no loose:

The picture shows that the front moulding has also been partially removed. The screw was hidden in the sealant and was holding the trim down.

For the curious ones, here's the first glimps of the edpm being lifted and how wet things were:

and most of the wet section removed and opened up for drying. It looks like we caught this at the right time as very little of the wood has turned black, it was simply very wet.

So now to finish up my shopping list and go out to purchase plywood, staples, etc. I had one of my sunline truses that was broken so I'll also be fixing that and taking pictures of the process.