Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-09-2007, 05:11 PM   #1

SUN #197
wcoleman
How does the hot water tank fill - automatically?

Sorry for the basic question, but I can't determine how the HW tank fills. Does it always fill up automatically, or do I need to do something? I lit the pilot and used it for the first time last weekend, worked great! But I wonder how or if it refills on its own.

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #2

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: How does the hot water tank fill - automatically?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoleman
Sorry for the basic question, but I can't determine how the HW tank fills. Does it always fill up automatically, or do I need to do something? I lit the pilot and used it for the first time last weekend, worked great! But I wonder how or if it refills on its own.

Thanks!
The HW tank is downstream from both the city water intake and the water pump. Whenever any pressure is applied to the system from either source, the HW tank is pressurized and maintains its fill. Think of a long garden hose made up of three pieces. The middle section fills because you've pressurized the whole hose. Same basic logic applies to your TT's water system.

Whenever you draw water from one of the faucets, the pressure moves the water through the system. Basically, under normal use, the HW tank is always full.

The only time the HW tank should be emptied is in the fall when you winterize the trailer. Most of us have by-pass systems on the HW tank allowing the tank to be drained, and the remainder of piping in the trailer filled with RV antifreeze. If we didn't bypass the HW tank, it would take 5 or 6 additonal gallons of the pink stuff to get ready for winter. By bypassing and draining the HW tank, most of us can winterize the whole water system with just a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze. (Larger systems may require a 3rd or even 4th gallon, but that's pretty rare, especially for Sunlines.)

I believe that there are complete winterizing instructions in the files section of this website.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #3

SUN #197
wcoleman
Thanks

Thanks Steve, I guess I was concerned because I've red the posts were folks burn up their element, I would assume because they accidentally turned on the HW heater before filling after winerizing?

Thanks again for the good explanation.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 PM   #4

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcoleman
Thanks Steve, I guess I was concerned because I've red the posts were folks burn up their element, I would assume because they accidentally turned on the HW heater before filling after winerizing?

Thanks again for the good explanation.
That's pretty much correct. It is very easy to forget to undo the HW by-pass when de-winterizing, and firing it up in that condition will almost immediately kill the electric heater element. Turning on the gas portion of the heater in the same circumstance will also damage the heater or tank, but it takes more time, and if you catch it immediately, you probably won't have wrecked it.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 PM   #5

SUN #108
40_Acre_Mule
Winterize!!!
What's that?
Real RVers use their trailers all year long!

As for the water heater, if the trailer sits for a while, it doesn't hurt to turn on a hot water tap before turning on the heater. That insures the heater is full. You don't want to heat up an empty water heater.