Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #1

SUN #328
bugbite
Help Us Out Here Please

Since we are into the nitty gritty please check this out.

Posted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:25 am Post subject: What Options do you considered Essential?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What Options do you considered Essential for an easy campout

We both thot it was weird that

- Frame Mount Heavy Duty Scissors Jacks (4) ratchet type
are options on the 1950.

We were expecting cranks (so will could use a portable electric drill to raise and lower levelers)

It's not abundantly clear what is standard ... "stab" legs on all 4

What is involved on a change out

On the 1950 are the side windows easily broken pulling

Any covers?

T-1950 Solaris 2007 Options:

AVAILABLE OPTIONS

- Sirius Satellite Radio Kit
- 14 Inch LCD 110V TV w/ DVD, w/Wall Swivel Arm and Stand
- 14 Inch LCD 110V TV w/DVD with Stand
- Aluminum Sport Wheels (4-15" - 5 Lug)
- Boom Box Add On for Sirius Satellite Radio
- Cover, Range Top
- Deluxe Hinged Top ABS LP Bottle Cover (for 30# Bottles)
- Deluxe Kitchen Faucet w/ Pull Out Sprayer
- Diamond Plate Bumper Cover
- Frame Mount Heavy Duty Scissors Jacks (4)
- Grill, Exterior, RVQ II , with Piezo Ignition & Griddle
- Grill, Portable LP Gas
- Max Air Vents ( Roof Vent Covers)
- Pillow Top for Mattress
- Power Hitch Jack with Light
- Satellite Dish Pre-Wire ( One Location)
- Sealed Burner Range w/ Electronic Ignition
- Spare Tire Kit ( Cover, Carrier, Lug Wrench w/ Painted Wheel)
- Swing Away Grab Handle at Entrance Door
- Twin 30 # LP Bottles w/ Auto Change Over Regulator IPO 20 #
- Winterizing Kit
**4 Wheel Independent Rubber Ride Suspension (3500 # Axles)
**Black (Septic) Tank Rinse Kit
**C.S.A. (Built to Canadian codes & standards)
**Day/Night Shades (Except galley, bath, bunks and cargo area)
**Diamond Plate Front Lower Stone Shield
**Ext.Entertainment Kit (Ext. Speakers , TV Jack & 110V Recept.)
**Fantastic Fan (Exh.& Int.) w/Therm.& Rain Sensor( If code ok)
**Fantastic Fan (Exhaust) w/ Wall Thermostat & Rain Sensor
**Fiberglass Exterior w/ Sport Graphics
**Full Length Roof Decking, 1/2" Plywood w/ Rack & Ladder
**Heated Fresh Water Tank ( N/A CSA )
**Heated Septic & Grey Water Tanks ( N/A CSA )
**Rack & Ladder w/ 8' of 1/2" Plywood Roof Decking
**Safety Glass (Clear) Windows
PREMIER VALUE PACKAGES
- Kitchen Value Package (See Dealer or sunlinerv.com for Details)
** Ultra Leather Decor Value Package (See Dealer or Web for Details)
**Exterior Value Package (See Dealer or Web for Details)
**Partio Value Package (See Dealer or sunlinerv.com for Details)

---------------

Are these "essentials?"

- Max Air Vents ( Roof Vent Covers)
- Pillow Top for Mattress
- Frame Mount Heavy Duty Scissors Jacks (4)
- Spare Tire Kit ( Cover, Carrier, Lug Wrench w/ Painted Wheel)
**Fantastic Fan (Exh.& Int.) w/Therm.& Rain Sensor( If code ok)
**Fantastic Fan (Exhaust) w/ Wall Thermostat & Rain Sensor

Somewhere on here isn't there a wt. list of options?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Option on 1950

- Frame Mount Heavy Duty Scissors Jacks (4) ratchet type

--------------

Did Sunline carry OEM crank levelers w/ sandpads on any models?

Our 77 old Coleman had ratchet type
Our 98 old Coleman had cranks w/ sand pads

If not OEM did anyone add aftermarket crank levelers w/ sandpads?

TIA, BB & DH

Cool Runnings Silent and Swift
bugbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
BB

Here are my 2 cents on essentials. Must haves.

Spare tire. Don't leave home without it.

From there the next in line.

HW heater bypass and TT pump antifreeze suction pipe. I believe this is what they call winterizing kit.

From there the rest are luxury items.

The tank flush kit is very good and helps not drag the hose inside with the hand wand to flush the inside of the tanks.

To your stabilizers quest.

I really do not know what you mean about "ratchet type" stabilizers. Are these a telescoping jack stand like on some of the old pop ups or light weight TT's? Flip the latch and the jack slides down to the ground. Is this it? I have never seen the smaller Sunline stabilizers so I can’t help here.

Sand pads. This sounds like off my old Coleman PU. I had these on my PU. They are a round foot that bolts onto the PU stabilizer to increase the ground support area.

As far as stabilizers, personally I like the BAL scissors crank type. On a larger TT’s this in must in my book is essential. On a smaller one, maybe more of a luxury. You will not be unhappy with the BAL crank down scissors jacks. You "might" be unhappy with telescoping ratchet type. Usually the weight of the camper dictates the type. On heavier units the telescoping type will not work and you have to use the scissor types. On lighter campers you have a choice.

A 3/4" piece of plywood under a BAL scissors jack or any stabilizer will give the sand pad effect. It just spreads the load out on soft surfaces. On blacktop or concrete it does not matter much.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #3

SUN #328
bugbite
Tasnks John!

Yes it absolutely helps.

The list mentions the scissor jacks as optional. What they have on the 1950 instead is what I wonder about ???
Old 07-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #4

SUN #139
Al in PA
Until recently, travel trailers came with no jacks. You purchased the type that you preferred as an option. I have a set for my T-2051 that I've owned since purchasing a tent trailer from my parents in 1980. They take a few minutes longer to set up, but they work on any trailer: You may need some wood blocks to achieve that necessary height. Here's an example of the type most people used over the years:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...017524/c-10107
2007 T-2553
2003 Silverado 1500
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:13 PM   #5

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in PA
Until recently, travel trailers came with no jacks. You purchased the type that you preferred as an option. I have a set for my T-2051 that I've owned since purchasing a tent trailer from my parents in 1980. They take a few minutes longer to set up, but they work on any trailer: You may need some wood blocks to achieve that necessary height.
Al,

I've got a set of the Reese version of those ACAR jack stands that came with my 1961 Avalon TT which I bought used in the mid-'70's. I am still using them today, although the Avalon and several succeeding trailers have all gone to trailer heaven.

I carry a bunch of cribbing anyway to deal with unlevel sites, and it's no problem to get a rock steady setup with the cribbing, these jackstands, and my handy-dandy copies of JohnB's homemade wheel chocking system. (Tip o' the hat to JohnB for the inspiration to get off my duff and get them made!)

I never liked the upside down scissors jack stabilizers as I think they only provide stability in two directions and not all four. Maybe I'm wrong on this, but so far, I like my rig just fine.

The drop-down ratchet style stabilizers are mostly found on pop-ups and a few small TT's like the tear-drops and maybe the old Sunspots. Nice idea and certainly easy to use on the PU's, but just not strong enough for the weight of today's TT's.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:15 PM   #6

SUN #328
bugbite
Solves the Mystery!

Al,

Thank you so much for coming back at me.

I haven't seen a TT so far on the Net or in brochures that didn't have stabilzing jacks.

Then I read the scissor jacks were optional and really scratched my head on that one as did the spouse.

Hmmm thanks for the referral.

BB
Old 07-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #7

SUN #328
bugbite
The rachet type and screw down

She is correct on what I was trying to say. Our 78 Coleman had some legs that had rachets that allowed for a limited amount of choices on leveling.

Our 98 Coleman went to the screw down (cranks) and had sandpads on the feet (circular, hingled attached to the leg).

The cranks can easily be run up and down w/ adapter and a drill motor or just use the crank for up and downing the PUP.

So I was wondering why Sunline didn't have any levelers that came standard. Others have I note. I'll check into what Steve and Al have also.

Thanks!

Yall solved the mystery.

We were really ???? Huh-ing on that.

BB
Old 07-01-2007, 06:45 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

SUN #17
kanyonkitty is an unknown quantity at this point
BB,

A lot of Dealers order their Sunlines iwht the crank down stabalizers, and some even order with levelers. These can be drill operated. I have the levelers on my 2499, though, I level side to side with "lego blocks", and the front to back using the power tongue jack. then, I use my drill to crank down the stabalizers/levelers til snug. SO, until you find "your" 1950, you won't know what it will have.

Sunny #18 2003 F-344SR #8157
Sunny #19 1997 T-2653 #5485
1999 Ford F350XLT DRW Crew Cab, Long bed 7.3 PSD
2002 VW Jetta TDI.. AKA: Kitty's Kruiser
kanyonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 08:16 PM   #9

SUN #328
bugbite
Our 1950 where art thou?

Gotcha Mz Kitty on the trailer stabilizers on all 4 corners.

Weird.

Anyway we shall see what we shall see.

Wouldn't be unfortunate if we can't find one after all this teeth gnashing and bothering you good folks

Well at least you can point the newbies to our post to see what detail oriented fuddy duddies really are like

DH currently reading the Tundra Solutions Towing board. Reading me things like the Einsteins are pulling... they have to be out of their minds. And to think they are out there on the road ready to snarf the rest of us.

Makes our sweating of the 5,540 wet + 40 lbs of dog vs. 6,030 max on truck sound mild to say the least.

We have to be concerned the most on tongue wt. That's why I am thinking the Hensley would be too fat. Says it weighs about 70 whazzit more than other wt distributing hitches (i.e. Reese, Equil i zer) Probably weighs 175. That's why I was asking about the Hensley with it's (supposidly) wonders but heavier than a Reese Dual Cam.

We are going to pitch the rubber mat on trips. Have the bed rug when covered will be more than sufficient. Has to weigh at least 60 lbs right there.

The Devil is in the detail.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #10

SUN #328
bugbite
May I talk you into pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanyonkitty
BB,

A lot of Dealers order their Sunlines iwht the crank down stabalizers, and some even order with levelers. These can be drill operated. I have the levelers on my 2499, though, I level side to side with "lego blocks", and the front to back using the power tongue jack. then, I use my drill to crank down the stabalizers/levelers til snug. SO, until you find "your" 1950, you won't know what it will have.

Kitty,

Do you have pictures of the bottom of your camper showing your stabilizer set ups and "legos"?

Anyone else have any good shots of how you have your 4 corners fixed?

TIA

BB
Old 07-03-2007, 08:29 AM   #11

SUN #258
pwb01 is an unknown quantity at this point
We dry camp most of the time so a Maxx Air power vent on 12 volt is essential for cooling the unit down. I don't want a thermostat because I don't want the fan running without me knowing it in order to save the battery. I did put a hood over the bathroom vent so I can keep it open in the rain.

I have Sirius radio but I have an account with a receiver in a cradle in the car. I can move the same receiver unit to a boom box or to a cradle I put in the trailer hooked up to the trailer battery. It works well for music (etc) where FM radio is not clear such as in the mountains. The Sirius receiver "transmits" to your unit radio and for about 30' all around so any FM receiver works any place around the campsite to pick up the Satellite radio from the receiver.

They tell me a spare tire is not required because you can drive with one flat tire but I prefer to carry one anyway. It cost me extra for the tire but instead of paying the dealer $95 for the mounting kit, I bought one from Home Depot for $24 and mounted it on the bumper.

The first time we used the T-1950 there was an irritating wobble from front to back as one of us moved around the unit. A wheel lock between the wheels on one side did the trick.
2013 Rockwood 8280WS 5th wheel
2006 Sunline Solaris T-1950
pwb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #12

SUN #256
Bobo
[
"They tell me a spare tire is not required because you can drive with one flat tire but I prefer to carry one anyway. It cost me extra for the tire but instead of paying the dealer $95 for the mounting kit, I bought one from Home Depot for $24 and mounted it on the bumper."

Anyone who says that you can run with one tire flat is nuts. If you have ever seen a tire casing come apart, you will then see the damage it can do. It will tear apart you fender and sidewall. If it flies off the rim, someones gonna get hurt!!!! Believe me, I drive truck for a living and have seen the damage a tire casing can do.

Bobo[/quote]

2001 Coleman Utah
2006 Sunline T-2499
Bobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM   #13

SUN #300
DF5.4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Here is what my tire looked like when it went.

I felt it as it went soft. I was in Memorial Day traffic leaving Rochester NY at 5:00 at 60 MPH. That it what it looked like by the time I got stopped. It broke the wheelwell trim. No major damage. I wouldn't even try to run on 3 tires. That's a lot of weight on the single tire.

I replaced all 4 by the end of that summer.

1999 T-2970 Solaris SE
2007 Ford Expedition

DF5.4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 11:05 PM   #14

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DF4.6
I wouldn't even try to run on 3 tires. That's a lot of weight on the single tire.
We had to one time with the 2653. The left rear bearing heated up and the wheel just wobbled. Upon removing the charred wheel and worn tire (hadn't blown yet), there was nothing we could do but nurse it from the gas station to a Sears parking lot and call for service. The nearby dealer couldn't help as they weren't open when we needed them, but a local trailer shop helped us out. They had us put a piece of 4x6 we carry for the jacks and prop up the one spring with that block. This raised the empty drum high enough for travel to their shop. It was only a mile or two away and we went slow. I wouldn't recommend it for longer distances or fast speeds, but it could be done in an emergency situation. In this case, we had a perfect spare, but it would do us no good.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:27 AM   #15

SUN #328
bugbite
Good Grief!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF4.6
Here is what my tire looked like when it went.

I felt it as it went soft. I was in Memorial Day traffic leaving Rochester NY at 5:00 at 60 MPH. That it what it looked like by the time I got stopped. It broke the wheelwell trim. No major damage. I wouldn't even try to run on 3 tires. That's a lot of weight on the single tire.

I replaced all 4 by the end of that summer.
Wild what a shredded mess that was!

Right in the middle of Memorial Day traffic no less.

I felt your pain.

BB
Old 07-04-2007, 12:57 PM   #16

SUN #114
pamwinn
I don't know what the difference is between the stablizer's. Ours look like x's what kind is that?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #17

SUN #225
Mark
So yours are like this?

2002 Chevy Silverado
2003 Sunline 2553
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #18

SUN #114
pamwinn
Yes, they do
Old 07-04-2007, 08:38 PM   #19

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
OK, maybe learning something new here.

The BAL scissors crank down stabilizers Mark shown, those are what I have on my T2499.

The talk about "levelers" Are these something more upscale then the Bal scissors stabilizers?

The BAL scissors stabilizers are not powerful enough to jack up the TT? However they will help hold it up once up but I would not want to test this theory.

I know I would need a whole lot more leverage to lift my 6,800# TT up with these.

I always assumed folks uses ‘leveler” and “Stabilizer” interchangeable on a TT. Sort of like equalizer and WD hitch. But it sounds like they may be 2 different things. Are we talking hydraulic levelers like on the Class A’s where they do lift the entire vehicle off the ground.

Inquiring minds need to know.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:47 PM   #20

SUN #93
Poppy & Nana is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...=1822&src=SRQB

This is what we had on our 06 T1950 and what is pictured above is what we have on our 07 T2499.

We loved our 2007 T-2499
2010 Ford F-350 4x4 Lariat Super Crew Dually Diesel
Poppy & Nana is offline   Reply With Quote