Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-15-2016, 09:10 AM   #1

SUN #1273
icontra is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to icontra
Frig repair in 1988 t-2461

My frig died. Is it better to install rebuilt cooling unit.

Old 08-15-2016, 02:22 PM   #2

SUN #1124
wendydahle is an unknown quantity at this point
We are actually in the process of installing our second cooling unit. We purchased a refurbished unit originally from Pines Refrigeration. They have a 5-year warranty.
Our refrigerator died right before the Fourth of July weekend, and my husband determined it was once again, the cooling unit. So this time we are purchasing from a different company that supposedly has a lifetime warranty. Should be here within a day or two.
This is some info from their site :
What is the

Installation wasn't too difficult from what I remember. Unhooking power from the back from the outside, and then taking the doors off inside, and pulling the refrigerator out.
Then taking off the old cooling unit, which we had to send back to the company to get a discount, and then re-installing the new one. There was some sort of conductor that had to be applied before hooking up the new cooling unit.
I hope to take photos this time around when my husband gets it all apart. Weather has been a factor here in Florida with the afternoon storms rolling in.

and one crazy Belgian Tervuren Shepherd who isn't happy unless he's camping!:[SIGPIC]
wendydahle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:44 PM   #3

SUN #1273
icontra is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Skype™ to icontra
Dead Frig.

Thanx for the quick reply Wendy. Everyone one keeps telling me to pull the old box & get an AC FRIG from Lowes. I haven't got the heart to junkyard it. People tell me it's an easy replacement but I haven't talked or seen pix from someone who actually did it. Please put me in your loop.
Many thanx
Michael Kaye (icontra)
Old 08-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not a bad job. Me I would never give up my propane fridge for any thing totally electric.
Old 08-16-2016, 11:09 AM   #5

SUN #1124
My husband tells me we are getting our rebuilt cooling unit on Thursday. I imagine he will install it this weekend, or at least try to get most of it done. I believe the mastic stuff we had to let dry before putting the refrig back into the hole in the wall. I'm just trying to remember from what we did six years ago.
I will try to take photos and post them.
and one crazy Belgian Tervuren Shepherd who isn't happy unless he's camping!:[SIGPIC]
Old 08-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #6

SUN #1124
This was my post from the last time we did it. I will try for photos this time.
We had the same yellow stuff in ours (same model) and my husband replaced our cooling unit last fall. He took the refrig. out of the compartment, set it on blocks of wood and a piece of carpet, then disassembled the cooling unit while it was in the coach. Too difficult to try to get it outside.
If I recall correctly, my husband had to take the doors off too. The heaviest part of the unit was the doors and the cooling unit.
The fins of the cooling unit stick through the inside of the refrig., and those need to be gently pushed out the back being careful not to crack the refrigerator body, as the cooling unit is taken off.
When reinstalling it, I remember he had to make sure everything was really clean on the backside where the cooling unit would go. He then had to use mastic to adhere, and that was a little tricky, but not difficult as I recall. We got a rebuilt cooling unit for about $400 that came with a five year warranty which was better than a new refrigerator which Dometic could not give more than three years. My husband installed it, and we now have a colder refigerator than the original. Wish I had photos, but it was a little hard to move in there with everything apart. Hope this helps. Wendy