Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-26-2020, 10:43 PM   #1

SUN #12204
etapbird1 is an unknown quantity at this point
First timers

We just picked up our first camper, a 1989 Sunline Saturn T-1550. The excitement has already started...wiring issues with the lights so I hooked up temporary ones for the hour drive home, then 2 miles in we had a blow out. Found a well lit parking lot and put on the spare and the rest of the trip was uneventful. Now time to rewire the lights and get familiar with the camper.

Has anyone painted/modernized one of these older Sunlines? Any pointers or pictures would be appreciated, thank you!

Old 08-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #2

SUN #4050
Wannabes is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on your new-to-you 1550 and welcome to the SOC! Not unusual to have a tire blowout on a used trailer when you bring it home, depending on the age of the tires. Generally, tires should be replaced after 5 years, no matter mileage. (Also, most trailer tires are rated for no higher than 65 mph when towing.) The SOC site has threads about remodeling and modernizing, most complete with pixs, so you have a lot of fun ahead of you! �� Happy camping!

Matthew and Lisa
TT: '02 T-2363;
TV: 2012 Ford F-150, 4x4/Off-road, 5.0L V8, "Big Gray"
Reese Straitline w/ dual cam
Wannabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 08:54 AM   #3

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Etapbird1!

Looking forward to hearing and seeing your Sunline adventures! We like Pics.

Have fun fixing up your camper. Any questions, just ask away.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:34 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Welcome and congrats on your 1550! There have been many people who modified the interiors and exteriors of their Sunlines to fit their tastes. Tommie's 1550 is a good example of one redone inside, so hopefully she sees this and adds some pics.

I will caution you first though, before you start painting, it's a good idea to inspect the structural integrity of the trailer. I've seen many trailer owners be quick to lather an entire trailer's interior with white paint, which can cover up any water staining or indications of a problem. It's definitely easier and cheaper to address any potential problems before you put the time and money into renovating. The best place to start would be to post some pictures for us to look at, both interior and exterior, and we can point out any questionable areas to look closer at.

In addition to Matthew and Lisa's recommendation to replace all tires at five years old, roof seam sealing is just as important. Your 1550 likely has an aluminum roof. The seams need to be inspected at least yearly and resealed every few years as cracks appear. Trailer roofs aren't like houses where you can forget about them for 20 years.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
RHS

SUN #10585
RHS is an unknown quantity at this point
Rhs

We have a 89 Saturn. This site was helpful in getting a general owners manual. Previous owner took care of wiring problems and painted inside and out with white paint. We painted accent stripes and matched the drawer panels with the stripe colors. Rebuilt the drawers because the particle board was crumbling. Also replaced some framing on the front. Didn't do it how they recomend because I feared I would never get the aluminum panend resealed if I pulled them off, so I cut out panels with a multi tool and cut out rotted wood the same way, putting a wide steel putty knife behind the board I was cutting to ensure I didn't puncture the exterior aluminum. I attached new framing with metal brackets to what was still good in the wall. I had to take out the screws from the exterior seams because they are screwed into the frame in places. I wish you well with your new Saturn.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:50 PM   #6

SUN #12240
RaisinROM12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2006 Solaris SE T-2499

Hi All: I'm new to this site and new to forums in general. I'm looking for advice/suggestions on a selling price for my beloved Sunline.

There are so many great things about it, that big, open floorplan with the picture window, low mileage and use, new tires, recently serviced brakes, lovingly cared for, I could go on and on.

This is my third Sunline and I DO believe they were beautifully made. I know there was a "glitch" with this model, heavy tongue weight and cracked frames. I went through this, but I loved the trailer so much that I went back to the builder of that Sunline frame and paid them to replace the A-frame (and maybe the first cross beam too, I'll have to look that up). I put some serious money into this trailer. I took great care of it in every way. I had a local company check the roof and they said it was "fine", then I parked it.

It's a long story, but the roof leaked. I sealed the seams and took it on a trip, no problems. It has since been tarped, the interior is intact, cabinets and appliances are near perfect, the walls look solid, but there are signs of water damage in the ceiling, mostly in the front.

Can anyone give me an idea of price, as is ? I realize I'll be taking a huge hit, I also realize that it's impossible to know the extent of the damage without removing the rubber, but I would like to sell it before the winter. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. Also, if you know anyone . . .

After I get it cleaned up, I will be posting it in the classified section on this website.

Thank you for your help.

Chris
Old 08-04-2021, 11:47 AM   #7

SUN #4278
nivasispath is an unknown quantity at this point
Feeling really dumb, I can't find the size on my tires..
I thought I had wrote it down.. Guess not.

Only issue I'm finding with the trailer is 'brain dump' its been such a long time since I've taken it out. So Tires are #1 on my list
2. then I'll have to figure out my keys - don't ask.. 5 keys each different compartment, that is about to change!
3. and then the front door, previous owner took out and now it has a regular knob on it ..
banging head on the desk
I just want to escape!

Tags
remodel, saturn, t-1550