Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 AM   #1

SUN #2445
wraith13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Few ? on a solaris T-1700

I bought a 91 sunline solaris T-1700, it's in awesome shape. I never owned a tt before and I have a few questions.

1. Where can I find the drain plugs for the water tank and HW tank. I looked but I must be missing something.
2. There is an garden hose connection next to the shoreline power cord...is that for hooking up to a city or park water supply, and if so do I need to have the water pump on to use it?
3. How ling does it take to heat the HW tank for use (it's gas only)?
4. Once the TT is disconnected from house/park 110V and the generator is disconnected, are there any plugs inside that are still 110V or do I need an inverter like the ones that plug into the cig lighter in a truck?

Sorry for all the questions, but so far with this site I have learned so much about the TT operations and have figured out the heat/fridge and stove....so far so good.

thanks so much,

John

Old 06-25-2011, 06:50 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi John

Welcome to Sunline Owners Club!! Seems you have been reading for a while now on your new coach and have come to the cyber campfire to talk with the rest of us. GREAT!!!

I do not know your exact unit but most are made very similar so see answers in blue below

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith13 View Post
I bought a 91 sunline solaris T-1700, it's in awesome shape. I never owned a tt before and I have a few questions.

1. Where can I find the drain plugs for the water tank and HW tank. I looked but I must be missing something.
The fresh water tank, here this can be model specific due to where the tank is mounted and what era Sunline built them. Here are some places to go hunting for.

If the tank is outside under the camper, look for a small drain tube with a petcock valve on the end of it or a screw in pipe plug in the side of the tank.

If the tank is inside the camper, under a couch, bed etc. these I "think" had a valve on a drain tube that then went through the floor to the outside. Have to search around the bottom of the tank.

We have many folks who have or have had your exact camper or one similar and may be able to point right to the spot. I myself have never been that into the early 90's units.

2. There is an garden hose connection next to the shoreline power cord...is that for hooking up to a city or park water supply, and if so do I need to have the water pump on to use it?
Yes that is a fresh water (city water) supply hook up point. You get a white potable water hose and hook up to a pressurized facet at the CG or at home. It's a good idea to get a pressure regulator for camp grounds to limit/lower the pressure to what the camper can handle and not create fitting leak issues. The onboard water pump is only needed to run when your drawing water from the on board fresh water tank. It sucks from the tank and then pressurizes the camper. There is a check valve setup in the pump so you do not back fill the tank when on city water. It you do turn on the pump with no water in the tank while on city water nothing happens other then running the pump dry and possibly damaging it if you run it a long time.

3. How ling does it take to heat the HW tank for use (it's gas only)?
On gas you can go from cold to hot in about ~ 10 to 15 minutes. It depends on how cold cold was when you started.

4. Once the TT is disconnected from house/park 110V and the generator is disconnected, are there any plugs inside that are still 110V or do I need an inverter like the ones that plug into the cig lighter in a truck?
The camper is made to live on 12 volts for the most part. Basically self contained to run off a battery and no 120 VAC to go have fun camping away from civilization. However running off battery will not run any AC appliances which if you have them are: The roof top AC unit, the microwave, the fridge on 120 AC or the HW heater on 120 V AC.

You mentioned using one of those little inverters to create 120 VAC from 12 VDC. The interior 12 VDC wiring is limited in amp draw when your talking powering up an inverter. You may have a 12 VDC cigarette lighter type socket by the TV antenna and that is made to handle a small 12 VDC TV. A small inverter to run say a lap top or other small electronic device can work. But it may be limited by the fuse and the wire feeding that 12 VDC socket which is not much on that plug. There is no way you can run a toaster or coffee pot off that plug. However camping enthusiasts who strive to camp off the grid have upgraded their camper to totally live unhooked from shore power. They have installed their own inverters and a real big battery bank that is needed can run that toaster for limited time periods. This comes along with solar panels and or a genny setup. Sunline did not as standard offer the high end 120 VAC inverter option unless you have a special order or someone upgraded it themselves.

Sorry for all the questions, but so far with this site I have learned so much about the TT operations and have figured out the heat/fridge and stove....so far so good.

No worries on the questions. This is what our cyber camp fire is all about. Connecting with fellow Sunline owners or any one who has a camper or wants a camper of any brand. We strive to be a friendly bunch to any fellow camper.

thanks so much,

John
Happy camping in your Sunline,

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
The fresh water tank on a 1700 is probably under the kitchen cabinets on the left side of the coach. The drain on all above-floor tanks will go through the lower sidewall to the outside-mounted petcock drain. It's the same drain valve as the later (below floor) tanks. It's screwed into the lower part of the sidewall in the bottom-most piece of aluminum siding. I'm guessing it would be aft of the axles, but I don't know for sure without looking it up.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #4

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently bought a T1700 and have been learning about it. The fresh water drain is in a small door at floor level right next to the heater it has a "T" handle on it it does not unscrew or turn you just pull up and it will drain. The garden hose will give you camp ground water to all your fixtures I would suggest a regulator any RV store will have them for your water connection and no you don't need to run your pump. The outlets will only have power when it is plugged in. Yeah if you want 120 volt power not plugged in you'll need and inverter.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

SUN #2445
Thanks so much for all the replies...it has been alot of help...all the manuals are there for each product, but finding the bones about some of the stuff isn't that easy. My wife and I are just about finished making new curtains and replacing the valances with new material...olds ones were sun faded....cushion covers came up good after washing some we will make new ones over the winter....plus have to figure out the by-pass plumbing tricks for storage in the fall....looking forward to using it.

John
Old 06-26-2011, 07:52 PM   #6

SUN #481
clueless campers is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
have to figure out the by-pass plumbing tricks for storage in the fall
JohnB has put together the Sunline Articles - "How To" and DIY (Do It Yourself) Links. You can find a lot of detailed info and photos there. The first section explains winterizing.

Welcome to SOC!
clueless campers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 PM   #7

SUN #123
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainah View Post
I recently bought a T1700 and have been learning about it. The fresh water drain is in a small door at floor level right next to the heater it has a "T" handle on it it does not unscrew or turn you just pull up and it will drain.
Huh? I've been around the block a few times and never seen nor heard of anything fitting this description on a Sunline. All the fresh water tank drains I've seen on a Sunline use this little plastic valve that rotates 180 degrees to drain the water. I mean, you can certainly pull the piece up (it will pull out eventually), but I don't think it helps the water drain any faster.

I have seen a rare instance where another manufacturer used a 2" black drain pipe with a gray water type waste valve that was used for draining the fresh water tank. But that was a toy hauler and has under-mount tanks. It wasn't in a door, nor have I seen one inside a door before.

Maybe this was an aftermarket modification?
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Old 06-27-2011, 04:53 AM   #8

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
The tee handle valves sound like the waterline drain valves. I have two of them at the bottom of a cabinet in the bedroom on our 2363. They are used for draining lines to winterize the unit. I also have the small valve with the twist top that is to drain just the fresh water tank.

Here is a picture of our freshwater drain valve......
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #9

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan View Post
Huh? I've been around the block a few times and never seen nor heard of anything fitting this description on a Sunline. All the fresh water tank drains I've seen on a Sunline use this little plastic valve that rotates 180 degrees to drain the water. I mean, you can certainly pull the piece up (it will pull out eventually), but I don't think it helps the water drain any faster.

I have seen a rare instance where another manufacturer used a 2" black drain pipe with a gray water type waste valve that was used for draining the fresh water tank. But that was a toy hauler and has under-mount tanks. It wasn't in a door, nor have I seen one inside a door before.

Maybe this was an aftermarket modification?
Well I can tell you, you can turn the valve all you want and it goes around and around but if you pull up on it the water falls out there is a detent you can feel as soon as it is pulled up and the same when you push it back in. I would say it is stock on the T1700 very nicely held down and a nice neat sleeve in the floor it is inline with the drain hose and it is not external to the coach. The drain is but the valve is inside of the camper and drains out under the camper.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:26 PM   #10

SUN #2445
yep a tee handle just like you said next to the furnace...also one in the bathroom under the sink....drained the tank fine.

John
Old 06-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #11

SUN #1830
Mainah, What you describe is what I had on my Jayco motorhome. There were many valves in the water lines but to drain was a T-handled valve that was fastened to the floor with a hose that extended through the floor past the liner and when the handle was pulled up it would drain, push down to hold the water inside. It was good since the only time anyone could drain the tank was when they intended to drain it. The only place I have those lines is, again, at the low point in the inside waterlines for draining the lines of the camper as when Winterizing.

jim
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #12

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
... I have two of them at the bottom of a cabinet in the bedroom on our 2363. ....
Interesting,... my 2363 has the low point drains in the kitchen behind a small door below the sink.

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #13

SUN #123
Quote:
yep a tee handle just like you said next to the furnace...also one in the bathroom under the sink....drained the tank fine.

John
I'd like to see a picture of this. I'm not doubting you guys at all, I've just never seen one like it before.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #14

SUN #1830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Interesting,... my 2363 has the low point drains in the kitchen behind a small door below the sink.
Mine is a old 1991 2363 and the area under the sink is taken by the house heater and there is no access. In the bedroom there are cabinets on either side of the bed and the one to the right of the bed had the two valves.

Pictures to follow, soon.

jim
Old 06-28-2011, 09:00 AM   #15

SUN #1830
A picture of the 'kitchen' showing the return air grille below the sink.

This is the cabinet to the right of the bed. You can see the eyebolt that has been used for a handle to raise the bottom of the storage area and access the underside.

This is a shot looking down at the ductwork. There was a tee added in the ductwork and additional ducting run to the rear most cabinet so heated air gets to the back wall of the camper. This tee blocks the view of the drain valves. I would have never found these valves if the PO had not told me where to look.

jim
Old 06-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #16

SUN #768
Gene is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the pix Jim, here I was assuming all 2363s had everything in the same place. Where you have the door next to the bed is where my ac cord stores by pushing it in from the outside so I don't have an inside access to that area. I just keep learning something new every day.

Just for comparison, here is a pix of the door under the stove that has access to the drains, 2002 version. My furnace outlet is out of sight on the right of the furnace grill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9200113a.jpg (54.5 KB, 4 views)

Gene & DW Ginny
2002 Sunline T-2363
2008 Toyota 4-runner 4wd 4.7L V-8
Reese Dual Cam straightline - P3 Brake controller
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 06:23 PM   #17

SUN #1830
Gene, The outside cord storage is just out of sight to the left of the cabinet next to the outside wall. What can be seen in the photo is the heat duct and the road side wheelwell.

I'll get a pic of the access door under the stove tomorrow but I didn't see much room to stick my hand in there either. I would be happy to find one of those valves in there and be able to get a picture. It seems those valves are like a ghost at this point.

jim