Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 08-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

SUN #811
dryflie
Dometic model question

I own an older '86 T-2460 with a now inoperable refrigerator. I am wondering if anyone could help me with the Model no. of the Dometic unit. It's a single door gas and AC unit.

I suspect that I've lost the freon but do not know for sure at this point. It ran fine last year then was towed to and from storage and did not work from that point. The gas seems to light fine and it seems to have power as well.

What's my best move...install a rebuilt or try to get the current unit repaired?

Thanks
Al

Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #2

SUN #292
Honda03842 is an unknown quantity at this point
I replaced mine with an electric refrigerator. First for cost reasons; second, for capacity reasons.

The electric was a 1/7th of the cost and 1/3rd larger.

Norm

Honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #3

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
You may be able to repair it, but that is unlikely. If the cooling system is clogged, then you can remove the refrigerator from the cabinet and flip it upside down and leave it overnight or for a couple days. Sometimes this allows the stuff to move around inside enough to force the clog free. I'd say there's like a 50/50 chance of it actually working after that.

From what I'm told, there's pretty much three options when the refer breaks. Most times it can't be repaired, as they are pretty simple systems. Have the unit inspected by a professional if the above doesn't work before you decide to spend money on a rebuild kit or a new unit:

- Purchase a rebuilt cooling unit kit and install it. It was about $200 back in 2004. This is the cheapest way to go and worth it if the actual refer cabinet is in good shape and doesn't smell too bad.
- Purchase a rebuilt or brand new unit and install it. Cost varies depending on the features you want and new/used condition.
- Replace the unit with a dorm-style electric only unit. Cost varies because people do different levels of installations. Some just drop it in there while others will build up frames and then install extra shelves above/below or install/build in a microwave.

Before you install any new unit or while you have the old one out for repairs, inspect the platform that it sits on in the cabinet. The "floor" in the cabinet very often rots out and it wouldn't hurt to replace/repair this now while it's easy to get to.

BTW, if you do end up replacing the entire unit, remove the trim on one side of the door and pull out the wood door panel and door grab handle. It matches the cabinets in the coach and if you can make it work on the new refer, it'll blend in and look like it should be there.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #4

SUN #811
dryflie
Thank you both for the replies. Given our campground power situation, which is 7 hours a day at best, the Gas option is pretty important. I've looked at the Dorm style units and also other straight AC units but keep coming back to the desire to be able to use gas when I'm in the unit. All other times I simply lock the door and count on the AC.

I guess I'll have to have someone look at it and try to determine what is actually wrong with it. Once I know for sure I can make an better decision.

Thanks
Al
Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #5

SUN #778
Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Busted Fridge

Al,
These refrigerators work on the "absorption cycle".
No compressor and no Freon.
If you have a leak, it should smell like ammonia.
I have a Norcold, and when it would not cool any more, I found a guy in Shipshewana , IN, who built the part it needed right in his shop.
Norcold did not offer this part in their spare parts assortment.
Then he proceeded to fix the fridge right on the table in the coach.
He gave me a three year warranty, whereas a new unit comes with only two.
I know Indiana is a long way from you, but may be you can find the same service locally.
Roar
Old 08-14-2009, 05:58 PM   #6

SUN #811
dryflie
Roar. Thanks for that info on the freon, I did not know they were different animals. I do have an RV outfit close by and I'll be towing the trailer there for winter storage. I'll have them look at the Fridge this fall. Hopefully they can determine what's wrong.

Al