Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 PM   #1

SUN #1340
Drake is an unknown quantity at this point
Can I and HOW can I wire in a mp3/fm/am player

So this friend of mine buys a new Toyota RAV-4. He wants a deluxe sound system in his car, so the dealer pulls the brand new standard system from his car and since my friend already paid for it when he bought the car, the dealer gives the mp3/Am/FM that was in the car back to my friend. My friend gives it to me. My question is how do I install it in my 88 Seville, if that is possible? There are 4 oblong pin connectors along with two antenna connections on the back of the Fujitsu model 86120-42290. Are the female connectors these hook to available? If so...where do I get a wiring diagram, and how do I hook it up in my trailer? I really need something to replace my old radio/cassette tape player in the trailer if I can. Is this possible with this unit?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:29 PM   #2

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
Car stereo shops have adapter to mate after market radios to the cars they are going in but I don't think they have them to go the other way you might ask.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #3

SUN #1321
tjalmy is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not going to be a lot of help, but I believe it is possible.
I took the original unit out a our '94 Solaris and replaced it with an aftermarket stereo/dvd player. I had to build a new face plate to mount it in, and it worked out very well.
You may want to use the existing pin connectors with the new unit, and splice the wiring onto the new unit. Splicing wires together is easy, look into crimping tools. Wiring diagrams are often on the unit. Power, ground, speaker, etc. they will have a lot in common. Give it a shot.
T
Old 04-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Here's how Steve did it:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f6...dio-10368.html
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:04 AM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem is the wiring harness from the car unless they cut the old one off with the new install he has no way to plug it in or how to figure out the pin out. After market radios are fairly standard as far as wiring is concerned but factory wiring is not. The install shops have a harness that mates the after market radio to the factory wiring in the car but I don't believe they have a factory plug that will fit the Toyota radio. I don't think a scrap yard will let him cut the harness in a junked car's wiring either.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:06 AM   #6

SUN #151
campin'dude
I was certified car stereo tech and had my own side business installing car stereo systems during the car stereo "boom" of the 90's. The company I used for parts, Scosche Industries, makes "reverse" wiring harnesses that allow you to connect a factory stereo into whatever. They offer one that adapts to a RAV4 system: TA02RB | by Scosche

I guess I'm a little confused if you want to install it in your 88 Seville or your trailer? If it's going in your Cadillac, then you'll need a wiring adapter to connect it to the GM wiring GM01B | by Scosche and you'll need a GM antenna adapter http://www.scosche.com/car-audio/ant...dp-micro-delco. By using the two harnesses, you can just mate them up outside of the car and it will just be color to color since the wires will be color coded to the EIA standards for the speakers and power. They will have a legend on the packages. The completed harness will just plug in to both the radio and your car.

If it's going in your trailer, then you 'll have to figure out the wires in the trailer and mate them up to the Scosche harness.

Either way, the tricky part will probably be getting the radio mounted properly. For your Caddy, they sell an install kit GM1504 | by Scosche but the Toyota radios usually install using factory brackets that bolt to the sides of the radio. Your friend probably re-used them when he installed his new system so I'm guessing you just have the radio? If so, you'll need to figure out a way to attach the stereo to the mounting kit. Also, Toyota stereos typically have a small "nosepiece" which is the part that protrudes out of the dash and has all the controls. You may end up with a gap around the stereo which may not look the best if that is important to you. For your trailer, you'll definitely have to fabricate something just don't obstruct the ventilation holes.

Hope this helps and let me know if I can answer any other questions...

Work sucks, let's go camping!
campin'dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 AM   #7

SUN #1340
So here is a picture of the back of the radio/mp3 player...I have looked on line and can't find a harness that matches...most only have two plugs...this one has 4. If I have to go to Toyota for this, it will surely cost more than the unit is worth. I am also wondering if the antiquated radio wiring in my 87 trailer would be adequate to power this unit. I say this because of what I have read regarding installations discussed on threads you folks referred me to here. I'd appreciate any further help or suggestions, and thanks so much for the suggestions already offered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130422_103351_105.jpg (70.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 04-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #8

SUN #151
campin'dude
The 2 connectors on the right with larger pins look like the standard Toyota power connectors. The Scosche harness I linked to in my previous post should be exactly what you need. The other 2 connectors look to be data bus connectors based on the size of the pins. They could adapt the unit to other sources (XM radio, etc.) or steering wheel controls. You won't need them to operate the radio.

Looking at the pic, one thing I hadn't thought of was the size of the unit, it appears to be double DIN (4 1/4" tall). If so, then your only option is a vehicle with a double DIN hole or custom mounting it in the camper.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #9

SUN #1340
See....that's what I'm talking' about...Campin' dude...you are the man!!
So when I get the harness, will the wires match up colorwise to what I will find coming out of my old tape/deck/am/fm radio?
Old 04-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #10

SUN #1340
Oh by the way...the Seville is my model of Sunline . That's it pictured on my posts.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #11

SUN #151
campin'dude
Oh! I guess I didn't realize Sunline made a Seville model...

Well, the wires in your trailer will probably not be the EIA standard colors like what will be in the harness. But, you should be able to figure it out from possibly a sticker on the stereo, tracing out the wires and looking at the colors. If you take a pic of the back of your existing stereo, I may be able to give you some direction.

Also, you can get that harness cheaper than directly from Scosche. A quick Google search found it on Amazon for $10 shipped Amazon.com: Scosche TA02RB 1984-Up Toyota Power 4-Speaker Connector: Car Electronics

Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #12

SUN #1340
Okay...I'm going up for a few days in a couple of weeks and I will take a photo of the back of that ancient thing and try to get you some more info before I pull it out and junk it. Thank you for being so patient and helpful.
Like a bad penny, I'll be back!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #13

SUN #1340
I'm BAAAAACK...sooner than I thought. I remembered that I had shared a file of the radio/cassette deck currently installed in the trailer. it is labeled "Emerson Stereo System Manual" and you can find it under "FILES" on this forum. So...with the help of Janet who solved a downloading problem for me, I downloaded the file which shows the wiring of the unit. It is HARD to read and if you are like me...past 60, it is darn near impossible to read . I'd look at the original but that is in the owners manual in the trailer some 2 hours away. However...with much straining, I make out that there are eight speaker wires, the antenna, and only 3 other wires connected to the box: a red one, an orange one and a black one. As best as I can make out the wretched print, the orange one connects to + battery, always alive and it looks like there is a 3 amp fuse in this line ( I am wondering if that size fuse will need to be increased in terms of amperage?????). I can't read the other two labels for the wires leading into the unit. So will the power ( the 3 wires in question ) hook to the smaller 6 pin plug of the 2 harnesses and the speakers hook to the 10 pin plug ?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #14

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by campin'dude View Post
Oh! I guess I didn't realize Sunline made a Seville model...
It's like Solaris. They made it from '86-'89 and again briefly in '91. Actually, they had both at that time. The Solaris package floorplans were 25' and longer and were more basic, like plain cabinets, basic furniture, etc. The Seville package was available on any Solaris and featured upgraded cabinets, toned down exterior colors, plush furniture (actually, I guess you could say the couch had Cadillac-like cushions), tank monitors, and a few other goodies.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #15

SUN #151
campin'dude
OK, I looked at the manual in the files section (it's hard to read for my 43 yr old eyes that don't need glasses!). Here are the EIA wiring colors that will be on the harness you'll need for the radio:

12V Ignition / Acc. . . . . . . . . . Red
12V Batt / Memory. . . . . . . . . Yellow
Ground. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Black
Right Front (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . Gray
Right Front (-). . . . . . . . . . . . . Gray / Black
Left Front (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . . White
Left Front (-). . . . . . . . . . . . . . White / Black
Right Rear (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . Violet
Right Rear (-) . . . . . . . . . . . . . Violet / Black
Left Rear (+) . . . . . . . . . . . . . Green
Left Rear (-) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Green / Black

The orange will will connect to yellow (the 3A fuse should probably be fine unless you really plan on cranking up the stereo and working the amp), red and black go to red and black. It looks like the speakers connect to the Emerson radio using spring connections. I would suggest turning on the existing stereo and disconnecting them one set at a time and marking the wires with tape. Speaker polarity is not of huge importance. It is best if you get it right but it will only have a minimal affect on sound quality if you get it wrong.

The wires you'll need are divided up between the 2 connectors. If you hover over the picture on Amazon.com: Scosche TA02RB 1984-Up Toyota Power 4-Speaker Connector: Car Electronics , you'll see that the power wires and front speakers are on the larger connector and the rear speakers are on the smaller connector.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #16

SUN #1340
Campin' Dude...I owe you big time! Thank you so much for the expert advice, the eye-strain and the time you have spent helping me. You are the DUDE...dude!!!!
Old 04-23-2013, 08:41 AM   #17

SUN #151
campin'dude
Drake, You are very welcome... I'm glad I was able to help! Please LMK if you have any difficulties or questions once you start the install.

BTW, I noticed you are located in Charlotte County. We used to come close to your neck of the woods on our way to a vacation rental house that we owned at Smith Mountain Lake in Bedford County. We really like Southwest VA... the scenery is beautiful and the people are so friendly!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #18

SUN #1340
So...I went and hovered as you suggested Campin' Dude, and I have a couple more questions that will hopefully put this thread to bed.

1. There are what look to be red wires and black wires on both plugs, although the red one on the big plug looks a little pinker...which are the correct red wire and black wire to hook up?

2. The amazon site says the harness is not correct for the RAV 4 which is where this radio came from, although they look right to me.

3. What do I do with all the wires I don't use from the harness? Cap each with a wire nut? Tape the end of each and then tape all unused in a bundle? Cut them off?
Old 04-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #19

SUN #1340
Yes, although Charlotte County is a relatively poor county (or we could never have bought land there.) you are so right... the atmosphere there is friendly and charming. It is a great place for my wife and I to get away from Newport News, which is becoming increasingly crowded and paved over. BTW we have gone to SML to vacation since the 80's and really love it there. We spend two weeks there every year at Year Round Shores...family joins us one week, dear friends the next. There is no better place to swim and boat and relax. And thanks in advance for your reply to my previous questions.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:45 AM   #20

SUN #151
campin'dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
So...I went and hovered as you suggested Campin' Dude, and I have a couple more questions that will hopefully put this thread to bed.

1. There are what look to be red wires and black wires on both plugs, although the red one on the big plug looks a little pinker...which are the correct red wire and black wire to hook up?

2. The amazon site says the harness is not correct for the RAV 4 which is where this radio came from, although they look right to me.

3. What do I do with all the wires I don't use from the harness? Cap each with a wire nut? Tape the end of each and then tape all unused in a bundle? Cut them off?
1. I noticed that too... I am pretty sure that you will use the red and black on the larger plug. The set should come with documentation that will explain the wire colors and locations.

2. According to the Scosche Industries website, that connector fits RAV4 units through '13. Since they are the manufacturer, I would trust them over Amazon. But, you can call their toll-free tech support line to verify.

3. Capping each of them off with a small wire nut is the best way to insulate.