Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #21

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
FiveORacing,

I would bet that no matter what trailer you brought to him he would have trashed it. If you look at the video that was posted, the man originally said something to the tune of 'This is what you get when you buy from backyard Bob.' We don't even know if someone actually purchased that trailer from a 'backyard Bob' or if the guy was just saying that and making the video to prove a point. That trailer could have been a trade-in from an original owner....you don't know...people lie all the time. Awful to say but, true. A camper businesses biggest competitor is Backyard Bob and you can bet that they are going to trash their competitor.

There are tons of people on this board that have the same roof structure as you have on this and, I'm guessing here, many other brands of trailers from that time, and with proper care their trailer is perfectly fine. Their trailers will remain perfectly fine if they just keep up with the roof care. No need to rip things down to the rafters....just do upkeep and protect it from the elements as much as possible. If you cannot keep it in a shed during the summer months buy a camper tarp cover for it and keep it covered. In the winter store it inside a building. Our fairgrounds rents out their building for camper storage in the winter, maybe yours does too.

If you want to be proactive about protecting your camper you could replace all the caulk on your roof with that special tape that they rave about on this site. You could also take out and redo the windows with that special caulk (it's not caulk but I can't remember the name right now) that everyone uses here. In addition, invest in those vent covers that you can leave open all the time (even during rain) so that during storage it doesn't get so hot in your camper that you end up peeling your wallpaper off the walls.

Remember at the end of the video when the guy said something like, 'this never would have happened if the owner would have invested in a couple tubes of caulk'
Well....IT NEVER WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF THE OWNER WOULD HAVE INVESTED IN A COUPLE TUBES OF CAULK. I think that should be the takeaway from this video.

Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #22

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
My Jayco was my first rubber roof trailer. I didn't know then what I know now about being proactive and ran into problems, like wet and rotted frame. Rebuilt part of frame before I sold it. When looking for another trailer I somewhat knew what to look for, no wetness in frame. Between Jayco owners forum and this forum I have learned allot about the care. Seems you spend more time fussing with them than using.
I bought a $100 scaffold which help when inspecting, cleaning and resealing.

Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #23

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
My first realization of the effects of roof rot was last winter. I went to look at a trailer ('01 1950) with apackoftwo and found the roof part gone. Got up to inspect, found suspicious seams, so I pushed down. The areas with bud board in tact were like a typical Sunline roof- flexible, but somewhat solid feeling. I could set like a 2 liter bottle full of liquid on it and it really wouldn't move. Then as I worked back toward the damage, it got VERY soft. If I were to set the bottle on there, it would sink down a good 2" probably (between the rafters of course).

Interestingly, that trailer had no sign of damage inside on the ceiling or floor except for a little bit of mold/dirt forming around the ceiling panel joints inside in that back corner.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM   #24

SUN #5245
Anita1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sunline Fan,

Does that happen at dealerships too? If a person is not real wise to what to look for in a used camper is it better to buy from a dealer? I wouldn't know "suspicious seams" on a roof even if I saw them. If I cannot see evidence inside the trailer I'm not going to know if the trailer I'm looking to buy is bad.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #25

SUN #4040
jim44646 is an unknown quantity at this point
I looked at a 5th wheel at Camping World. There was a really soft spot in the middle of the kitchen floor. I mentioned it to the salesman and he stated "Oh we can throw a piece of plywood down and carpet over it. I passed and left. So that tells me if they find something they do a quick cover up and unload it on someone not the wiser.
Firestone Transforce AT tires
Reese Dual Cam Sway Control
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #26

SUN #4407
underdog is an unknown quantity at this point
I really don't see this as a Sunline exclusive problem. My Sister and her husband bought a 29 ft Coachman to snowbird to Florida in. It has what's left of a rubber roof. I always thought they were maintenance free as did my brother in law. It sits now totally junk from rot next to their garage. They were thinking of putting it down by their farm pond for the kids to use.

Reading this makes me realize even more how fortunate we were to grab the one we got. Floor totally replaced and roof leak issue fixed. I still can't figure out how they lifted the shell but they did. I have a pole barn to keep it in at all times it isn't on a trip. So I think it will last as long as I do. I'll just stay off the roof!

FWIW, I'm in the auto repair bussiness. Buying a used car from a dealer is no guarantee it will not be a piece of crap. I suspect the same would hold true with some RV dealers.

Jim & Laurie
Pittsburgh Area
1990 StarRay T205
2005 Dodge Dakota V8 Tow pac.
1992 Gulfstream Ultra LE Mini 27'
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #27

SUN #701
Thomas A
I have tried to keep the roof cleaned on our 2002 T2553. I was never told to NOT get on it, so I have been on it many times, on a large piece of smooth cardboard. I am fortunate I suppose. I check the seams carefully frequently and caulk over the cracked areas.......and it holds well and works well. We have had our trailer since new and still can't find one that we would trade up for. We have not had any leaks and have thoroughly enjoyed camping in some pretty bad storms, just like all of you.
I like the 2 door trailer without a slide out and with a very homey interior, nat a dark one!! Hard to find today.

Why did they go out of business? I have been told by several RV dealers and RV mechanics,that they built too good a coach.....believe what you will. They were bought by a group of investors and that nearly always spells disaster for the company....I can speak to that firsthand, with my employer.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #28

SUN #5039
bunjin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have very little to almost no experience with TT's. I have had my little '83 T-1550 for a couple months now and have been following some very good threads on this forum learning much.

With that, I will put my 2 cents in on this video.

I both dislike and like it in that order. I dislike a "salesman" throwing mud at private owner sales in an "all inclusive" like style. I liked that he was surprised that there wasn't damage where he was almost sure there was going to be, i.e. screws on corners.

I believe he had done an earlier overview of this TT and was going to take advantage of creating a scare by being dramatic in his presentation. His goal was to have potential buyers coming to dealership.

I believe this TT had been picked for this because of some of the very obvious damage to most anyone. Example, "excessive" mold damage, esp. on floors. Vinyl's are very subject to mold and this showed.

It did show that maintenance is very important and unless one knows "how,when & where" to do some of the checking by the time one see's evidence of damage, that damage "may be" greater then one would expect.

TT's are a compromise in a big way in my opinion. They have to be a big, light box at a reasonable cost that can be moved over an over. These boxes have no diagonal bracing to speak of. They are fastened together in a ladder construction method and they are subject to loads, some mentioned in some of the threads I have read and others not, such as wind-sheer loads. In my opinion, it is amazing they hold up as well as they do. Some better than others.

My Lil' '83 is doing pretty good. Not perfect, however pretty good.

OBTW. At the little RV dealership near me in a conversation I had with one of the employees (about items ordered) he pulled out a monthly order he had placed with suppliers and caulk was number 1 by far on the list.