Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #1

SUN #168
wobbly
Black Spots on EPDM Roof

Our 2007 T-1950 has a number of black spots on the EPDM roof.
They are most numerous at the front edge and near where the tv antenna is retracted.

Any ideas on removing them? Bleach?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM   #2

SUN #597
henryj
Keeping It Clean

Some say the black spots are mold--I'm not sure. Unlike a rolled up awning, the roof doesn't stay wet long enough for mold. They look just like the spots that show up on patio furniture too and could just be some dirt accumulation. I've noticed the roof is clean and white like new under the overhang of the fridge vent so I think the spots are just general atmospheric fallout. My coach is also stored out in the open which is better than under a tree.

My coach sat on a dealer's lot for 1 1/2 years so it had plenty of spots when I bought it. I've washed the roof at least twice a year and they haven't gotten worse. I usually use dish detergent, but that will remove wax as it runs down the side so I always wax the sides after washing the roof. A fresh coat of wax also makes it easy to remove black streaks.

My personal feeling is to leave well enough alone. You can't see the roof. Inspect the seals several times a year, wash it twice and don't worry about it. Manufacturers would have us believe that any number of RV afflictions can be cured by bottles of chemicals. Save your money and the environment. I've cut down to 303, wax and tank treatment. Bleach may not hurt the roof, but it won't help either and I wouldn't want it to run down over any decals either.

Check this web site for lots of useful info:
http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...category_id=60

Henry

henryj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 AM   #3

SUN #149
nasa42a
Folks.....
We're completely with Henry on this one.

Frank
nasa42a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #4

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know of anything that will get rid of them. Mine sat on the dealer's lot for about two years and it is free of spots, and I've heard other reports that it's not a problem out east. It sat outside for about three months here, and so far so good, but now it's inside, so it should be interesting to see if it's some reaction with something in the air or just with stuff that settles at night.

I've heard of EPDM coatings that you can brush on to make it white again, but I think that's only necessary if the roof is looking beat up.

Like Henry said, keep it clean, and that will keep it from getting worse, and keep up on the seam sealing.

Jon
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

SUN #6969
Bubbabc is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by wobbly View Post
Our 2007 T-1950 has a number of black spots on the EPDM roof.
They are most numerous at the front edge and near where the tv antenna is retracted.

Any ideas on removing them? Bleach?
I use outdoor Clorox on mine and have never had an issue. I also use it on the awning and the camper itself. I spray it on with a bug sprayer when the trailer is dry , leave it on for fifteen minutes and spray off. I do not spray it on when the sun is bright and hot. Early Morning or late afternoon. Works for me.