Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-02-2012, 05:06 AM   #1

SUN #2880
jaydeeny is an unknown quantity at this point
axel flip

t2363 2001 sunliner rides real low and wiped out septic system 2 times. has anyone flipped the axle to gain road clearance? will this effect the towing stability?
Jay

Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jay,

Many here on the forum have repositioned the axle with the spring pack on the bottom to the spring pack on the top (aka Axle flip) to gain ride clearance. This is also referred to as an over/under or under/over conversion as you do not flip the axle per say, you actually do not move the axle at all. You move the leaf spring pack from the bottom of the axle and place it on top thus lifting the camper up.

Some folks tear up their camper getting in and out of their driveway and others have gone years and not had a problem. The same model camper even. It somewhat depends on where you go camping and partly on the WD hitch setup. If the camper is nose high when towing the issue of dragging the rear is even more aggravated. And we all camp in different areas. Some flat, some are all on a hill…

Your question is a common one about changing the ride height. See item number 13 in the FAQ section for hot links to post by members. Sunline FAQ's

You asked about will this affect towing stability? This is simple question however we need a little more info on your setup to give a better answer as “it depends” on how your tow vehicle and WD hitch is setup.

After doing the spring repositioning the camper is higher and so is the trailer ball coupler. You will need to adjust the WD hitch to compensation for the elevation change. This may require you to change the position of the WD shank to gain the elevation or in some cases you need to buy a new hitch shank that has more rise to it. The end goal is the camper tows level after the axle flip and the WD settings on the truck are readjusted correct. We can help you on how to do this when the time comes if needed. A camper that is nose high can aggravate trailer sway by the way the wind hits the top front of the camper.

The next area is the truck it self. With the camper being higher, you will catch more wind as you tow down the road. Depending on the truck you have you may or may not find this. If your truck has a lot of towing capacity in relation to the size of the camper you are using, odds are high you will not feel the extra wind drag. For exp. A 2500 HD pickup towing a 3,000# TT will not notice the 4 1/2” of extra air drag as much as a small SUV towing with a 4.3 V6 and low ratio rear axle gearing. The higher wind drag does affect the pulling of the camper but depending on how much the truck is already maxed out may or may not affect the sway.

What is your TV? We can make a better prediction if we knew the make/model, engine size, cab, 4 x 4 or 2 x 4 etc. And by any chance have you ever weighted the truck with camping gear in it and ideally hitched to the camper?

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #3

SUN #128
Tweety
Flipping the axles was one of the best mods we did to our trailer! It never drags now. We tow with a 2500 diesel so sure didn't notice any more wind drag Our fuel mileage actually improved slightly. The only thing we can figure is that the bottom of the trailer now lines up with the bottom of the truck whereas before is was below the bottom of the truck. We don't notice any difference in stability, but we are towing with a beast! As John said your tow vehicle will make all the difference.
2012 Arctic Fox 30U, SUNLINES - 2006 2753 "Tweety", 2007 QUE "QUEtSE", 2364, 1660
Tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

SUN #3354
UPbuilder is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll be doing an axle flip next week on my 17 1/2SB if I get the time. This rig is way too low for boon docking.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:29 PM   #5

SUN #2880
jaydeeny is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks

I appricate your advise. I will have to find pictures and update my profile.
TV is 2010 Ford Expidition EL, Reese round bar hookup with dual cam. I had to get the extended bar to lower the hitch to get the trailer to tow level, so I have plenty of room to go up. I just ordered the under/over kit so inthe next few weeks should get it put on. Trying to get it ready for the spring fling in PA.
Jay
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #6

SUN #666
Lance
Out here in Wyoming almost everyone flips their axles to get that extra clearance. I bucked that trend with my T1950 because the frequent high winds would affect stability of the unit. When you think about it, dragging is more of an issue with the longer trailers. Something as short as the T1950 - it's usually not a problem.

2007 T-1950
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle