Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 11-16-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

SUN #8089
Gabe_1983sun is an unknown quantity at this point
Anyone know about solar systems

I just purchase this item Renogy Solar Panel Kit 100 Watt Poly Off Grid Home PWM 30A LCD Charge Controller | eBay

I was wondering if anyone has done this before, I have a 1986 sunline camper trailer. Also what battery is recommended with this setup?
I will only be running 2 water pumps one this setup and maybe an led strip lights.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #2

SUN #8089
this is the pump im using RV / Marine 12 Volt DC / 12 V Demand Fresh Water Diaphragm Self Priming Pump | eBay

Old 11-16-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

SUN #8089
THIS IS HOW ID LIKE TO SET IT UP, LET ME KNOW WHAT YALL THINK.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #4

SUN #8089
Solar hookup diagram

This is how id like to hook it up, please let me know what yall think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRAILER SOLAR HOOKUP.jpg (19.1 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-16-2016, 05:55 PM   #5

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
The picture is too small to tell. A 100 watt panel is more of a charger that a doer it's kind of doubtful it would run a pump by it's self. It's max even flat in noon day sun in a prefect world is going to be some thing in the 7-8 amp range. I would direct connect it to the battery and skip any other wiring during the day it will provide enough power to keep the battery charged if you conserve power. Pumps are pretty good energy hogs (around 6-8 amps) vent fans are too then there is the lighting if the bulbs are incandescent they draw a fair amount of power some thing in the 2 amp range per as opposed to a couple of watts for LED's. I can go a good week or more with no power on 160 amps of battery and a 100 watt panel but my energy use is very light by design. I use 2 group 24 batteries and often camp a week at a time with only a 100 watt panel and it would do in my case indefinitely provided I did not end up with several days of rain.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 AM   #6

SUN #1830
Jim-Bev-2363 is an unknown quantity at this point
Why two pumps? Just curious.
Jim-Bev-2363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:40 AM   #7

SUN #8089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-Bev-2363 View Post
Why two pumps? Just curious.

one for the shower and one for the sink
Old 11-17-2016, 07:43 AM   #8

SUN #8089
her is the diagram

hope this is big enough
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TRAILER SOLAR HOOKUP.jpg (30.2 KB, 9 views)
Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM   #9

SUN #1830
Gabe, I know there are two places that will be using the water but normally one pump is sufficient. All you really need is install one pump and run hoses to each faucet. You didn't say what size camper you have but I would bet it only ever had one pump. Save some money by installing one pump.

Edited to add: If all you will be using is the water pumps and some LED lights then you could do without any electric pump by going to a manual pump/faucet. Then the LEDs would be the only load.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:12 PM   #10

SUN #8089
its a 18 ft I believe or 21 ft.
Old 11-17-2016, 01:40 PM   #11

SUN #1830
That would have had only one pump. Good luck with your installation.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

SUN #2097
mainah is an unknown quantity at this point
I would skip the extra wiring just use the system as it is and connect the solar directly to the battery two wires and you are done. I too don't understand the two pumps.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #13

SUN #8089
well I found yesterday that there is a pump under the sink and that goes only to the sink. How would the shower get water? That is why I was going to wire up a pump for the shower only and one for the sink.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:49 AM   #14

SUN #264
Steve Collins is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe_1983sun View Post
well I found yesterday that there is a pump under the sink and that goes only to the sink. How would the shower get water? That is why I was going to wire up a pump for the shower only and one for the sink.
If you don't find piping going from the pump to the shower for cold water and from the pump to the water heater and to the shower, then someone kludged the system. You'll have to replace it.

But I'd check everything for leaks before replacing any piping that was removed. The lack of plumbing to the shower suggests that maybe, just maybe there is a leak in the wall somewhere near or at the shower.

One pump is plenty to feed the whole trailer, stem to stern.

'12 F250 4x4 Super Duty PowerStroke 6.7 diesel
2011 to present: '11 Cougar 326MKS
1999 to 2011: '99 Sunline T-2453
SUN264 * Amateur Radio kd2iat monitoring 146.52
Steve Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #15

SUN #8089
I bought a tankless water heater and was just going to run a small pump to that with propane and hose to a extra tank I have and call it a day. Same this for the sink and just add a switch. Not going to run any piping just hoses, seems like an over kill having to run pipe all over the camper. I am removing the heater in the camper and just using my big mr buddy heater.
Old 11-18-2016, 11:45 AM   #16

SUN #264
Quote:
I bought a tankless water heater and was just going to run a small pump to that with propane and hose to a extra tank I have and call it a day. Same this for the sink and just add a switch. Not going to run any piping just hoses, seems like an over kill having to run pipe all over the camper. I am removing the heater in the camper and just using my big mr buddy heater.
You can buy an awful lot of pipe/hose/PEX and fittings for the cost of one of those ShurFlo RV pumps.

When we talk piping in RV's we generally mean either PEX or flex hoses for supply lines. Anything that carries fluid is considered pipe for our purposes here. Let's not get sidetracked because of misinterpretations of common terms.

RV's are built with one pump and PEX routed throughout the unit for both hot and cold water. If the manufacturers thought for one second that two pumps would save them money, they'd do it. But they don't.

If you're bound and determined to do this, fine. Just realize that the folks that are trying to help you here are highly experienced with repairing, maintaining, and (occasionally) rebuilding these. We really do know what we're talking about.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #17

SUN #8089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
You can buy an awful lot of pipe/hose/PEX and fittings for the cost of one of those ShurFlo RV pumps.

When we talk piping in RV's we generally mean either PEX or flex hoses for supply lines. Anything that carries fluid is considered pipe for our purposes here. Let's not get sidetracked because of misinterpretations of common terms.

RV's are built with one pump and PEX routed throughout the unit for both hot and cold water. If the manufacturers thought for one second that two pumps would save them money, they'd do it. But they don't.

If you're bound and determined to do this, fine. Just realize that the folks that are trying to help you here are highly experienced with repairing, maintaining, and (occasionally) rebuilding these. We really do know what we're talking about.
No doubt the people know what there talking about and I take nothing away from that knowledge. I am simply asking or maybe thinking it would be easier. The pumps don't have to be anything big or high powered either just 2 simple small 12v pumps. I did find the pump yesterday in the trailer and it is a heavy duty pump nothing like the ones I was thinking of. And builders cut corners as well to save money and that's how things get recalled or damaged. Just saying...
Old 11-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #18

SUN #264
Quote:
No doubt the people know what there talking about and I take nothing away from that knowledge. I am simply asking or maybe thinking it would be easier. The pumps don't have to be anything big or high powered either just 2 simple small 12v pumps. I did find the pump yesterday in the trailer and it is a heavy duty pump nothing like the ones I was thinking of. And builders cut corners as well to save money and that's how things get recalled or damaged. Just saying...
RV pumps have a pressure switch in them so they come on when you open a faucet and go off when you close. If that's the heavy duty pump you found, then that is able to drive the whole hot and cold water plumbing system in the typical RV exceedingly well.

If that pump works, it would be far less expensive to buy some PEX and Flair-It fittings and replace the missing hoses/pipes/supply lines. That's also presuming that the pump is already connected to the fresh water tank.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #19

SUN #8089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Collins View Post
RV pumps have a pressure switch in them so they come on when you open a faucet and go off when you close. If that's the heavy duty pump you found, then that is able to drive the whole hot and cold water plumbing system in the typical RV exceedingly well.

If that pump works, it would be far less expensive to buy some PEX and Flair-It fittings and replace the missing hoses/pipes/supply lines. That's also presuming that the pump is already connected to the fresh water tank.

This is what I planned on doing

Old 12-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #20

SUN #4081
Photokit is an unknown quantity at this point
I use 100 watt flexible solar panel, 30amp charge controller, and 12v deep cycle battery. I am always able to use the water pump for my sinks and shower. I have a simple read out on my charge controller and it lets me know how much charge the batteries hold. The only time I've had off-grid problems is NOT with the pump but the glut that the propane heater is. It is a big draw on the batteries, so I use it judiciously. I need the power to ignite my heater, as there is no pilot, just an electronic ignition.

I use 100 watts and rely on it for my interior lights (all LED) and have recently installed a 9 volt car cigarette lighter receptacle to charge my usb devices. Additionally I am running on occasion a 400w inverter to play and make wood projects with my dremel tool. Happy Camper.