Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 03-10-2018, 12:04 PM   #1

SUN #10365
RooRoo is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 with slide out. T-264

Hello Community

My husband and I are looking for a 2006 T-264 travel trailer, has a slide out.
We need more room.

We currently own a 2006 Sunline Solaris 2553 for trade.

Thank You

Old 03-11-2018, 09:06 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi RooRoo,

I know you stated 2006, but maybe these can help the search.

Here is a 2007 https://www.delmarvarvcenter.com/200...er-de-i2129668

There are several here, just I cannot back into the dealer site to see if they are still for sale. You will have to email them. It may turn out they are all gone or not.

https://www.smartrvguide.com/sunline-264sr-rvs-for-sale

Hope this helps

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:23 AM   #3

SUN #10365
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
Hi RooRoo,

I know you stated 2006, but maybe these can help the search.

Here is a 2007 https://www.delmarvarvcenter.com/200...er-de-i2129668

There are several here, just I cannot back into the dealer site to see if they are still for sale. You will have to email them. It may turn out they are all gone or not.

https://www.smartrvguide.com/sunline-264sr-rvs-for-sale

Hope this helps

John
Thank you John. Got to the site and sent our contact info. 2006 OR 2007 we would be interested in. I think Sunline stopped making trailers on 07 correct? So, we are looking for the newest one we can get this style.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:29 AM   #4

SUN #6579
Relie is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi

Roo, hi and welcome to the forum. This is a great place for info. We too, own a T2553. Ours is a 99 and we are currently looking to purchase a 30-32 footer. Our problem is that we have to buy one without a slide-out,as the campground we are seasonal at does not allow them in our area.
Again, welcome.

Dave :
Old 03-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

SUN #89
Quote:
Originally Posted by RooRoo View Post
Thank you John. Got to the site and sent our contact info. 2006 OR 2007 we would be interested in. I think Sunline stopped making trailers on 07 correct? So, we are looking for the newest one we can get this style.
Hi,

Yes, the 2007 model year is the last year. Sunline went out of business in Nov. 2006.

To help your search, the T-264SR is a popular camper. It was the T-260SR before that. I do not know what year it jumped from the 260 to the 264 but the layout is the same they just tweaked the lengths some.

As an FYI, the 2004 model year was a design change year pretty much across the board. Wider entry doors, bigger cargo doors, larger tank sizes and a few others things started. Trust me that does not mean the prior to 2004 years where lacking as they were not. It was just that the 2004 time frame was an upgrade year. So you may want to consider the 04 & 05's in your search. While your looking, just add them to the list. If you find one that had a lot of TLC taking care of it, it may be in better condition then a 2007 not as well cared for.

The T-264SR is a lot more camper than your T2553. And with this comes more loaded tongue weight the truck has to carry. On the T-264SR, expect between 1,000 to 1,200# loaded tongue weight. It can even go higher pending your cargo in the front. Plus all the camping gear in the back of your truck. A 3/4 ton truck or larger is a good matchup for this size camper. If you are in the 1/2 ton truck range, it will need to be a specialized one with extra payload capacity to handle the added weights. Do not know what your tow vehicle is, just trying to be helpfull so you know going in what to expect. If you need help on the truck sizing to the camper, let us know we are glad to help explain all this.

There is another thing to watch out for on used campers. A water infected camper. You may not see any signs inside the camper that there is a leak, but there can be one trapped in the walls, ceiling or floor. This post can help if you are looking at a used camper. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html Finding water damage is not an immediate no, but if can help you possibly reduce the price you pay. If you can do the repairs yourself the costs for materials are not that bad. Hiring out water repair can add up quickly due to the large labor cost depending upon what the issues are.

Hope this helps and good luck on the search.

John

Old 03-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #6

SUN #10365
Quote:
Hi,

Yes, the 2007 model year is the last year. Sunline went out of business in Nov. 2006.

To help your search, the T-264SR is a popular camper. It was the T-260SR before that. I do not know what year it jumped from the 260 to the 264 but the layout is the same they just tweaked the lengths some.

As an FYI, the 2004 model year was a design change year pretty much across the board. Wider entry doors, bigger cargo doors, larger tank sizes and a few others things started. Trust me that does not mean the prior to 2004 years where lacking as they were not. It was just that the 2004 time frame was an upgrade year. So you may want to consider the 04 & 05's in your search. While your looking, just add them to the list. If you find one that had a lot of TLC taking care of it, it may be in better condition then a 2007 not as well cared for.

The T-264SR is a lot more camper than your T2553. And with this comes more loaded tongue weight the truck has to carry. On the T-264SR, expect between 1,000 to 1,200# loaded tongue weight. It can even go higher pending your cargo in the front. Plus all the camping gear in the back of your truck. A 3/4 ton truck or larger is a good matchup for this size camper. If you are in the 1/2 ton truck range, it will need to be a specialized one with extra payload capacity to handle the added weights. Do not know what your tow vehicle is, just trying to be helpfull so you know going in what to expect. If you need help on the truck sizing to the camper, let us know we are glad to help explain all this.

There is another thing to watch out for on used campers. A water infected camper. You may not see any signs inside the camper that there is a leak, but there can be one trapped in the walls, ceiling or floor. This post can help if you are looking at a used camper. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...per-17613.html Finding water damage is not an immediate no, but if can help you possibly reduce the price you pay. If you can do the repairs yourself the costs for materials are not that bad. Hiring out water repair can add up quickly due to the large labor cost depending upon what the issues are.

Hope this helps and good luck on the search.

John
Thank you John for all this valuable information. We have owned Sunline's since 1980. Best trailer made in our opinion. The 2006 T-2553 that we purchased almost four year's ago could be traded or sold outright. We love the layout, just the more openness a slide room provides would be nice. It's in excellent condition. Former owner (elderly man) found it too stressful to tow and traded it in for a motor home. It was housed in his barn until he traded it, so like brand new when we bought it. We want one with a slide out, more room - now that we are close to retirement. We have a Chevy Tahoe. I know we got the best towing pkg. we could when we purchased it. Not sure of all the specs, tongue weight etc. Will have to find out from my husband when he gets home. So maybe the T-264SR may be too big and we should consider something a little smaller. When we retire will be spending more time traveling, we like how the slide out's provide a more open space. Do the younger model's you speak of 04/05's have the slide room's? We've been to numerous trailer shows, the fit and finish just is not up to par in most trailers we looked at. Thank you again for the valuable info, much appreciated! Hope to hear back with anything else you may have to offer.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:44 PM   #7

SUN #10365
p.s.

Husband just got home. Our tongue weight is 1,000 max with a WD hitch.
Were any of the 04/05's made with slide out's? We also prefer a walk around bed, walk in shower vs. tub. Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:39 PM   #8

SUN #7990
BenB is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Were any of the 04/05's made with slide out's? We also prefer a walk around bed, walk in shower vs. tub. Any input would greatly be appreciated.
Not sure what year Tahoe you have but the a 2005 Tahoe only has a total GCWR of 13000# the Tahoe is about 5200# empty and the T264SR is about 6200# empty. You are almost maxed out without anyone in the truck or gear in the camper. The T264SR is a 8600# max camper, if staying with the Tahoe you may want to look for a slide model thats a 7000# max, Sunline made a couple. Even at 7000# you will have to watch your loaded weight it will be close.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Current Camper: 2006 Sunline T-264SR
Previous Camper: 1998 Coleman Mesa
Tow Vehicle: 2002 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500, 8.1L, 4X4
DirecLink Brake Controller, Draw-Tite Ultra Frame Receiver, Reese HP Trunnion Bar Hitch W/ HP DC
BenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #9

SUN #89
Quote:
Thank you John for all this valuable information. We have owned Sunline's since 1980. Best trailer made in our opinion.

The 2006 T-2553 that we purchased almost four year's ago could be traded or sold outright. We love the layout, just the more openness a slide room provides would be nice. It's in excellent condition. Former owner (elderly man) found it too stressful to tow and traded it in for a motor home. It was housed in his barn until he traded it, so like brand new when we bought it.

We want one with a slide out, more room - now that we are close to retirement. We have a Chevy Tahoe. I know we got the best towing pkg. we could when we purchased it. Not sure of all the specs, tongue weight etc. Will have to find out from my husband when he gets home.

So maybe the T-264SR may be too big and we should consider something a little smaller. When we retire will be spending more time traveling, we like how the slide out's provide a more open space. Do the younger model's you speak of 04/05's have the slide room's?

We've been to numerous trailer shows, the fit and finish just is not up to par in most trailers we looked at. Thank you again for the valuable info, much appreciated! Hope to hear back with anything else you may have to offer.
Quote:
Hi RooRoo,

Your welcome! We really try to be a helpful bunch on Sunline Owners Club. We have a great group here. Attending some of the camping Meet and Greets is a lot of fun. We have several in NY, PA and OH. Maybe you can attend one some time.

It sounds like you found a Sunline Gem with your T-2553. Great for you!!

I just retired in August 2016 so I know the stage you are in. We had a 2004 T-2499 bought new, rear living floor plan, front bedroom and center pass through bath but no slide. In 2007 by pure good fortune and the help of a dear friend on the forum here, we found our current 2004 T-310SR (2.5 yrs old then). This has a slide and is the same floor plan as the prior T-2499, just bigger. My wife said, if we are going cross country, I need more room... So have to keep a happy wife . a bigger camper came and we really like our current camper. The slide opens up the entire camper so much it is hard to believe until you see it.

A walk around bed, this is sort of a must in our situation. Our T-2499 had a walk around bed and so does our current camper.

In case you didn't know, up on top of the forum are tabs. Look for the one called "FILES". Click it.

Go to "Brochures". In there is the Sunline sales brochure all the way back to almost into the 60's. There are many floor plans with walk around beds. And there are all the slide campers too. In the travel trailer line, slides start I believe in 1997. The model number would have and S, SS or SR after it. S= Slide, SS= Super Slide and SR = Slide Room. Every model year after 1997 will have a section with slide models in it. Some of the slide campers are on a 7,000# GVWR frame, others on a 8,600# GVWR frame and some on a 10,000# GVWR frame.

The floor plan you are looking at in the T-264SR started in year 2000 known as the T-260SR with a GVWR of 10,000# and 27’ 7” long.

In 2001 the T-260SR was still at 10,000# GVWR and 27’7”. They also created the same type floor plan called the T-250SR on a 7,000# GVWR frame and at 25’ 9” long.

In 2002 the T-260SR then dropped in weight ratings to 8,600 GVWR and 27’ 7”. T-250SR remained on a 7,000# GVWR frame and at 25’ 9” long.

In 2003 the T-260SR stayed in weight ratings to 8,600 GVWR and 27’ 7”. The T-250SR was discontinued.

In 2004 the T-260SR model was changed to the T-264SR in weight ratings to 8,600 GVWR and 27’ 7”. This was the design upgrade year I was talking about with larger entry doors, cargo doors, tank sizes etc.

From 2005 to 2007 the T-264SR model remained at the same weight ratings of 8,600 GVWR and 27’ 7”.

Cabinets and interior colors changed over the years as they did across all the campers.

If you are looking for walk around bed Sunlines, there are a lot of models that have that feature. Browse through the brochures and find the floor plans to your liking. Then add them to your Sunline search. I fully agree as do many others in the club, the Sunline fit and finish and the uniqueness was excellent. There is not much out there even new today that compares to them.

On your truck, I know the Tahoe. I had one of the later 90’s ones and a 2002 Tahoe we use to tow our first Sunline with. I have helped others with their 2007 redesign Tahoe's/Suburbans also, so we know the GM line of trucks fairly well.

If you can tell us what year yours is, the engine size, rear axle ratio, 4 x 4 or 2 x 4 wheel drive and the trim, LT etc. we can help know more about what you have and see how that lines up to a particular Sunline. There are many Sunlines the Tahoe can tow well, and there are others that are not a good match to the truck due to the loaded tongue weights and the overall gross vehicle weights. Once we know more about your truck, we can point out the areas that a T-264SR may create issues with.

As I said, we started off with a 2002 Tahoe towing our 2004 T-2499 which is one of the 7,000# GVWR class campers. With that particular floor plan, pulling the camper was not so much the issue as was the loaded tongue weight after we put gear in the camper. Lucky me, I just happen to pick the heaviest loaded tongue weight camper in that weight class.

In our case we loved the camper too much and ended up trading the 2002 Tahoe for a 2003 K2500 Suburban which is a ¾ ton Suburban that could handle the loaded tongue weight and also had more towing ability. Then we had no issues we could go anywhere we wanted without worrying. There is a lot of fine print in the details of how they rate trucks for towing a camper. We can help explain all that if you need help. The missed details is generally always the issue when it comes to towing a travel trailer verses and open utility trailer. We are just trying to help you know before you buy what to expect as best we can.

Hope this helps

John

Old 03-13-2018, 08:12 AM   #10

SUN #10365
specs

Husband just gave me specs on our vehicle. He requested the maximum tow pkg. for our Tahoe

Our Tahoe is a 2015
5.3 V8
3.42 Axle ratio
Max tow weight 8,600
GCWR 14,000
Max tongue 1,000

So, given this info - what size trailer would you suggest would be good for towing, that will not put too much stress on our vehicle and my husband driving?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 PM   #11

SUN #89
Hi RooRoo,

Sorry I did not get back to you earlier. The towing info you provided will help me sort this out for you. However I missed a few to totally answer your question.

I need a few more things.

On the Tahoe drivers side door jam, there is weight rating sticker, either take a picture and post it so I can read it or tell me these numbers

1. GVWR = how many pounds (total gross weight limit of the truck)
2. GAWR-FRT = how many pounds (the front axle weight rating)
3. GAWR-RR = how many pounds (the rear axle weight rating)
4. Payload = how many pounds (how much cargo the truck can carry.

Other needed info
5. Does the truck have 4 wheel drive or only 2 wheel drive?

6. Approx how many total pounds of passengers?
7. Approx how many pounds of cargo will be in the truck when you go camping?

From there I can get a fairly close estimates on the truck weights and then we can see how much is left to hold up camper tongue weight.

Thanks

John

Old 03-14-2018, 11:37 PM   #12

SUN #10365
Our tow vehicle

Hi John

Just seeing this. We had quite a bit of snow outside so I just plugged in our year Tahoe. This link tells you pretty much what you asked below. We have a 2 wheel drive 2015 Chevy Tahoe. We generally when towing only have the dog with us (22 lbs.) One weekend a year we take our five and seven year old niece camping. And generally no more than 200-250 lbs. of cargo. Thank You, Roo

2015 Chevrolet Tahoe Specifications
Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 PM   #13

SUN #89
Hi RooRoo,

Thank you for the link and info, it helps. I need these items confirmed so we can get as close to what you have as possible.

1. The actual amount of available "Payload" number off the drivers side door sticker. The online info points to 1,720#.

2. An estimate on how many pounds of people are normally in the truck when going camping. (you do not have to include your niece at this time but thanks for mentioning). If this is a topic you do not want to state, I will guesstimate at 375# for 2 adults. Just confirm I am close.

3. Did you take the 3rd row seat out of the truck? (sorry I forgot the new ones had this option, it can weight 60 to 70# by itself. )

4. Cargo. Confirming, you have 1 pet at 22 # and up to 250# of camping cargo in the truck. Yes/No? (this does not include people)

There are so many added options on these trucks, the generic online lists can he high or low on available payload to what you actually have. The only way to get close is by the door sticker listing or taking the truck to a scales and weighing it.

In your trucks case, the actual available payload and the amount of weight added to the truck from people, cargo and then the trailer loaded tongue weight are going to be one of the largest factors in what size Sunline you can tow within the capacity of the truck. I'm just trying to get the best estimate from the start.

Sorry this seems to be a lot of asking/clarifying, it is all in the fine print of the truck manuals and towing manuals that is not always realized that confuse most folks. I can do the legwork of number crunching, just it is ideal to base it on as close of weight numbers as we can to start with within reason.

Thanks

John

Old 03-24-2018, 11:20 AM   #14

SUN #10365
Quote:
Hi RooRoo,

Thank you for the link and info, it helps. I need these items confirmed so we can get as close to what you have as possible.

1. The actual amount of available "Payload" number off the drivers side door sticker. The online info points to 1,720#.

2. An estimate on how many pounds of people are normally in the truck when going camping. (you do not have to include your niece at this time but thanks for mentioning). If this is a topic you do not want to state, I will guesstimate at 375# for 2 adults. Just confirm I am close.

3. Did you take the 3rd row seat out of the truck? (sorry I forgot the new ones had this option, it can weight 60 to 70# by itself. )

4. Cargo. Confirming, you have 1 pet at 22 # and up to 250# of camping cargo in the truck. Yes/No? (this does not include people)

There are so many added options on these trucks, the generic online lists can he high or low on available payload to what you actually have. The only way to get close is by the door sticker listing or taking the truck to a scales and weighing it.

In your trucks case, the actual available payload and the amount of weight added to the truck from people, cargo and then the trailer loaded tongue weight are going to be one of the largest factors in what size Sunline you can tow within the capacity of the truck. I'm just trying to get the best estimate from the start.

Sorry this seems to be a lot of asking/clarifying, it is all in the fine print of the truck manuals and towing manuals that is not always realized that confuse most folks. I can do the legwork of number crunching, just it is ideal to base it on as close of weight numbers as we can to start with within reason.

Thanks

John
Thank You John

In answer to your questions above:

1. Available payload. - GVWR, 7,100 LBS. GAWR, FRONT 3,200 LBS. GAWR REAR, 4,300 LBS. See attached photo
2. Weight of people. - Your estimate is on target
3. Third row seat. - Third row seat is still in.
4. Cargo. - 250 lbs. at most

*** Did I understand you correctly in saying the T-264 SR is too heavy for us to tow?

Thank You
Old 03-24-2018, 11:25 AM   #15

SUN #10365
20180324_131435.jpg
Old 03-24-2018, 12:50 PM   #16

SUN #67
264SRinPA
Being a former owner of a 264SR I think it would be to much for a Tahoe. Ours was just under 8,000lbs loaded and 1150lbs of tongue weight.
Sunlines= '06-2075, '06-264SR
264SRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:40 PM   #17

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
As someone who has witnessed someone try to pull a 264SR with a Tahoe, it's not good. Definitely need to make sure you have sufficient hitch equipment if you try it. The hitch you use with your 2553 won't be heavy duty enough.

Even if it does work numbers wise, the short wheel base will not make for a fun towing/sway experience on the highway, and if you have P (passenger) rated tires instead of LT (light truck) tires on it, that will make it worse.
2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:01 PM   #18

SUN #89
Quote:
Husband just gave me specs on our vehicle. He requested the maximum tow pkg. for our Tahoe

Our Tahoe is a 2015
5.3 V8
3.42 Axle ratio
Max tow weight 8,600
GCWR 14,000
Max tongue 1,000

So, given this info - what size trailer would you suggest would be good for towing, that will not put too much stress on our vehicle and my husband driving?
Hi RooRoo,

Thank you for taking the time to get the rest of the information needed so we can help answer your question.

I will try and explain how all these numbers and ratings fit together. This can sometimes be confusing with so many numbers and ratings, my hope is to make this simple enough you can see how I came up with the findings and what to look for when matching up a camper to your Tahoe. While the vehicle manufacturers explain a lot of this in their manuals, many times the needed information can be buried in the fine print in multiple places and is hard to find it if you have never been through this before.

When sizing a tow vehicle for a travel trailer (or any trailer, flat bed, boat, horse trailer etc.) there are two larger areas that have to fall in line with the specifications of the tow vehicle. Can the truck pull the camper and can the truck support the added weight of the camper. Then there are subsets of things inside each big area. Both areas need to align to create a good towing combination.

Today you are towing your 2006 T-2553 with your 2015 Tahoe and you know how that feels when towing it. By the numbers, I would say it does a good job, just it uses a lot of gas doing it. Would you agree? Assuming so, the next question is how much more capacity does the truck have for a larger camper and still feel the same level of good as you have now?

I’m going to give you the summary first which may be eye opening if you have not been through this sizing by the numbers process before. I will show the details on how I came up with all this in my next reply. Feel free to ask any and all questions on something that does not look right.

Assumptions:
Tahoe:
Cargo capacity (payload) of Tahoe: 1,700# (7,100 # GVWR - 5,400# curb weight)
Cargo in Tahoe: 647# (375# occupants + 22# pet + 250# camping gear in rear of truck)
Tahoe GVW with cargo: 6,047# (5,400# Tahoe curb weight + 647# cargo)

Existing camper for comparison:
Sunline 2006 T-2553, Dry weight (empty): 4,753#, 715# dry tongue weight, GVWR: 7,000#
Estimated loaded weights: 1,000 to 1,200# for camping items, LP gas and battery
Estimated loaded GVW: 4,753# + 1,200# camping items = 5,953#
Estimated loaded tongue weight: 850# to 900#

Tahoe Travel Trailer Towing Ability Summary with the above assumptions:
Ability to pull the camper (loaded weight of camper):
* Current reserve capacity with T-2553: 5,593# est. loaded camper (2,000# reserve or 14.3% reserve capacity of GCWR)
* Nominal reserve capacity: 6,500# loaded camper (1,500# reserve or 10.7% reserve capacity of GCWR)
* Minimal reserve capacity: 6,953# loaded camper (1,000# reserve or 7% reserve capacity of GCWR)
* Max camper with no reserve capacity: 7,953# loaded camper (0# reserve or 0% reserve capacity of GCWR)

Ability to support the camper (loaded tongue weight of camper):
* Loaded camper tongue weight with a WD hitch: 956# (The 956# tongue weight and cargo inside the truck will reach the 4,300# rear axle weight limit. GAWR-RR of the truck is 4,300#)

Note: Tahoe receiver hitch is rated at 1,000# max. when using a WD hitch. This only applies when the rear axle capacity is not exceed.

The truck gross vehicle weight with a camper tongue weight of 956# and added people, pets and cargo is 7,003#. The GVWR of the truck is 7,100# leaving 97# excess truck weight capacity.

Guideline for camper sizing:
Keeping your current people, pets, cargo in the Tahoe, and having a similar feel for how the truck towing performance is close to what you have with your T-2553, a loaded camper weighing 6,500# with a max. loaded tongue weight of 956# is guide to go by.

The truck rear axle capacity and the truck receiver rating are two of your hard limiting factors to not exceed the ability of the truck. If you move the 250# of cargo or some part of it, into the camper this will allow for more people to be in the Tahoe by that number.

If you want to give up some towing pulling performance, the trailer can get somewhat heavier than the 6,500# as long as you do not exceed the 956# or 1,000# receiver rating. By the numbers, you can go up to a 7,953# camper and not exceed the GCWR of 14,000#. I would express caution not to do that with a travel trailer on purpose. The large frontal area of a travel trailer in this category can tow marginal to OK on open flat roads however when hills come you will feel the added drag and much larger loss of towing performance. Towing may become a choir and no longer fun. Odds will get higher when towing at max ratings that sooner or later the truck transmission may overheat in very hilly conditions when the truck is at its limits and with a large frontal area camper.

Reserve Capacity for Towing
Reserve capacity is something that comes into play when towing trailers with large frontal areas exposed to the wind and towing at speeds above approx. 45 mph. Most 8 ft wide campers fall into this category of having large frontal areas. GM does not do a great job of explaining this, Ford does list it in their towing manuals as well as some other manufactures but they really do not tell what to expect when you exceed their limit. I can speak from experience learned the hard way, the added wind drag is real.

When GM rated your truck with a “Tow Limit” of 8,600# trailer this assumes one 150# driver, no added cargo to the truck and that the trailer tongue weight would not exceed 860# (10% of the 8,600#). The towing performance is declared against the trailer they used in testing the vehicles. In many cases this is an open flatbed trailer with large weights on it to create the 8,600# of weight. A common rule is that trailer frontal areas above 60 sq. feet exposed to the wind will have a loss of towing performance due to the added wind resistance. An open flatbed trailer, a motor boat, a narrow 5 ft wide cargo trailer etc. will all tow easier on the truck then a 8 foot wide 9 or 10 ft tall travel trailer due the large frontal area. Your current camper exceeds the 60 sq feet.

There is no hard fast rules for how much reserve capacity you should have, some use a guide of only go up to 80% of your tow rating. I myself use a percentage of the GCWR which is the true pulling limit of the truck. The recommendations I listed above come from other fellow friends towing campers and my own experiences. Consider them a guide of what to expect.

A T-264SR camper is a very nice camper, however from my view that camper is too much when loaded for your Tahoe. You will easily exceed the truck rear axle rating and the GVWR due to the higher loaded tongue weight and this will create towing stability issues. Pulling the camper when loaded will be a choir when matched to a 14,000 GCWR. That size camper will need either a specialized extra capacity 1/2 ton pickup with a large engine, a 3/4 ton pickup truck or one of the right sized older 3/4 ton SUV’s. The 2500 Suburban or the Ford Excursion both with the right engine and rear axle gearing can work. We went from a Tahoe to a 2500 Suburban, then to a the F350 crew cab we have now as our campers kept getting heavier and longer. The crew cab trucks nowadays are very nice and can handle the heavier weights. Both GM in 2007 and Ford in 2006 stopped making new SUV’s to tow heavy campers. They now push you into a full size truck.

This is a lot to absorb I know and I hope I did not bury you in the numbers. I tried to break it down enough you can see the areas so you can learn in the process. We try and help any member who needs help with the truck and camper so they have a good time when out camping. I will type up the details and post them how all those numbers fit and post. Hope this helps and feel free to ask any and all questions.

Thanks

John

Old 03-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #19

SUN #89
Hi again RooRoo,

Here are the details on how I came up with the above recommendations.

GM seems to keep changing what they put on the door sticker… In many cases they put the actual “payload” ability for the truck. In your case it is not on the door sticker unfortunately. Payload being the amount of weight that can be added to the truck and not exceed the ratings. There are a lot of options in the SUV’s and if we had that number it would of help insure we had a more accurate truck curb weight. Ideally you can go to a truck scale with all the must have items in the truck and get a front and rear axle weight with a full tank of gas to confirm the numbers if you want to get more exact.

Short of knowing the actual weights, on GM’s we have access this this dealer site which has a weight calculator. They only go back 3 years though so I used a 2016 Tahoe. https://eogld.cloud.gm.com/dmdindex.htm

I ran your truck and I picked the LT trim. I did not get that from you but by the GVWR it lines up with the LT trim and the tire sizes. This is what we can get end of checking all the options. Click to enlarge
From here I can get axle weights and the available payload before we reach the axle and GVWR limits.

Determining the truck weight:
From the GM list above the truck empty with full fluids weighs 5,400# (curb weight)
Adding 375# people, a 22# pet, & 250# cargo is 647# of weight added to the truck.
The truck GVW then is 5,400# + 647 = 6,047# with no camper.

Your GCWR is 14,000#. Subtracting out 6,047# of truck and cargo leaves 7,953# of trailer that can be pulled at the max limit of 14,000# GCW. Again this does not count for the fact we have exceeded the 60 sq. ft. frontal area limit and does not include a reserve factor.

Towing Pull Detail:
(14,000# GCWR – 6,047# truck GVW = 7,953# loaded camper with no reserve pulling capacity)

(Using 1,000# (7.1% of GCWR) reserve capacity for exceeding 60 sq feet frontal area on camper)
(14,000# GCWR x 0.071 = 1,000# rounded up minimal reserve capacity.)
(14,000# GCWR – 6,047# truck – 1,000# reserve capacity = 6,953# loaded camper)

(Using 1,500# (10.7% of GCWR) reserve capacity for exceeding 60 sq feet frontal area on camper)
(14,000# GCWR x 0.107 = 1,500# rounded up minimal reserve capacity.)
(14,000# GCWR – 6,047# truck – 1,500# reserve capacity = 6,453 rounded to 6,500# loaded camper)

Ability to hold the camper loaded tongue weight of camper:
Max. loaded tongue camper weight: 956#

Detail: The empty truck axle weight split on the 2015 Tahoe is 52% frt & 48% rear. Almost equal.
Estimating the 2 adults of 375# in the front seats I split equal to the front and rear axle. This adds 187.5# to front and rear axle.
Estimating the 22# of your pet is split equal to the front and rear axle. Adds 11# to front and rear axle.
The 250# of cargo is in the back of the truck. Adds 250# to the rear axle only.

Rear axle added weight: 187.5 + 11 + 250 = 448.5# added to the rear axle.

Rear axle available payload before reaching the GAWR-RR from the GM list above is: 1,404.5#
Rear axle weight gain from cargo people, pets cargo reduces payload 448.5#
Total reduced rear axle payload before GAWR-RR: 1,404.5 – 448.5 = 956# available for camper tongue weight.

Receiver Check: The GM integrated bumper receiver rating is 1,000# using a WD hitch. The rear axle capacity with the 250# of cargo in the back of the truck is the limiting factor of the truck. However there is only 44# difference between the rear axle loaded limit and the 1,000# WD receiver rating. Reducing the 250# of cargo will only gain another 44# of available for camper tongue weight. Then the receiver will be the next limiting factor.

GVWR detail check:
Truck loaded GVW 6,047# + 956# loaded tongue weight = 7,003#
Truck GVWR 7,100# - 7,003# = 97# excess capacity before reaching GVWR.

NOTE: Using a WD hitch set up properly does remove some small amount of the truck loaded GVW to the camper axles. For this truck sizing estimate the small amount of weight moved to the camper axles is not included and can be considered a small safety factor. In this case the truck is bearing all of the loaded TW. The WD hitch is set to not overload the rear axle and grossly underload the front axle.

If you have any questions on all this, ask away.

Hope this helps

John

Old 04-26-2018, 02:22 PM   #20

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
RooRoo,

Based on the information JohnB provided above, it looks like your Tahoe could handle a T-257SR. That trailer has a 7000# GVWR (John said do not go above 7953 lbs on this number) and a 625# tongue weight (John said do not go above 956# on this).

The 257SR tongue weight number above is with the trailer not loaded, so it can go up some. Luckily you have a decent amount of reserve capacity without overloading. I think a 257SR, while at the upper limits of your Tahoe's capacity, is still a trailer you can pull with the Tahoe.

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote