Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 09-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #1

SUN #12240
RaisinROM12 is an unknown quantity at this point
2006 Solaris SE T-2499

I posted this in "First Timers", then realized it might be seen by more people here, so I'm posting it here too, I hope that's okay. If not, please leave it here and remove it from "First Timers", thanks.

Hi All: I'm new to this site and new to forums in general. I'm looking for advice/suggestions on a selling price for my beloved Sunline.

There are so many great things about it, that big, open floorplan with the picture window, low mileage and use, new tires, recently serviced brakes, lovingly cared for, I could go on and on.

This is my third Sunline and I DO believe they were beautifully made. I know there was a "glitch" with this model, heavy tongue weight and cracked frames. I went through this, but I loved the trailer so much that I went back to the builder of that Sunline frame and paid them to replace the A-frame (and maybe the first cross beam too, I'll have to look that up). I put some serious money into this trailer. I took great care of it in every way. I had a local company check the roof and they said it was "fine", then I parked it.

It's a long story, but the roof leaked. I sealed the seams and took it on a trip, no problems. It has since been tarped, the interior is intact, cabinets and appliances are near perfect, the walls look solid, but there are signs of water damage in the ceiling, mostly in the front.

Can anyone give me an idea of price, as is ? I realize I'll be taking a huge hit, I also realize that it's impossible to know the extent of the damage without removing the rubber, but I would like to sell it before the winter. If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate it. Also, if you know anyone . . .

After I get it cleaned up, I will be posting it in the classified section on this website.

Thank you for your help.

Chris

Old 09-12-2020, 06:42 PM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Welcome Chris!

Sorry to hear about your camper water damage. We can help you get a handle on how large or small the water damage is without taking the roof off. I have inspected enough campers and others too, that we can get you closer to the magnitude of the problem. This will then help guide you on a selling price and what to show/tell a potential buyer if you are asked.

See this post which talks about using a pinless moisture meter to inspect a camper. They cost about $45 now. https://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f...per-17613.html

With that General Instruments meter in "wall mode", you can scan the inside of the camper ceiling, the walls, the floor, the roof from the top down, and from the bottom The black waterproof membrane scanning up. You can also scan through the shower surround to see if water is behind the shower. If your camper has the corrugated aluminum siding, you need to scan the inside of the camper as metal will give a false high number to the meter. If you have the smooth siding, fiberglass siding, you can scan the walls from the inside and the outside.

The meter has a depth of about 5/8" to 3/4" sensing distance into the wall. The meter sees through the 1/8" thick wall or ceiling board to see how much moisture is behind the it. The meter will read out from 0 to 100%. 0% is bone dry, 100% is very wet, dripping wet. The numbers in-between help show a level of wetness that we can relate to what damage could be behind the wall/ceiling board.

Once you find a known wet spot, you start moving the meter away from that area and look for when the numbers start dropping down to dry. That helps define if the wetness is 1ft or 6 ft etc from the known source. And you can then follow it down the wall and under the floor if it made it that far.

Leaks up high in a camper, however they are created, sadly infects whatever the water touches as it keeps working it's way down under the floor where it collects on top of the black waterproof membrane and it can’t get out. The volume of water, and the length of time the leak has been ongoing, can be the difference of, you just found the problem, to it has been seeping in for months to years. While the damage may have started at the ceiling, downstream damage of water seeping down as far as it can go, infects walls, and floors.

There are a few other ways to see if the water made it to the bottom of the camper by removing certain screws, but the info does not tell you have it got there. You may have more then one leak which is usually the case.

If scanning the camper interests you, let us know and we can help you interpret what the numbers mean. We can also show you in pics what that level of wetness looks like behind the wall board from camper repairs we have done.

Hope this helps.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:52 PM   #3

SUN #12240
RaisinROM12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you John, that was very informative, and nice of you to take the time to respond. Honestly, and unfortunately I don't have the time, energy or knowledge to interpret all of that even if I did invest in a moisture meter. I've cleaned it up and taken pictures, and I'd like to list and sell it asap. Can you give a best guess as to a price ? It's hardly had any use and there are so many things about it that are excellent, but I understand, with the roof issue, it will hurt the price. I may list it here, and also on eBay. Do you think RV Trader (or RVT) would be a better place to list it ? I was hoping to appeal to the Sunline people first, because they will know what a great product Sunline made and truly appreciate this camper. Perhaps there is someone special out there looking for a Solaris SE T-2499.

Thanks Again, Chris
Old 09-22-2020, 09:30 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Chris

I sent you a PM. Check for it.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote