Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #21

SUN #599
Lode is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Lode

Old 05-18-2011, 12:17 PM   #22

SUN #891
ncmtngirl
Many, many months later...

Husband has had 2 major liver surgeries and is still with us today and son has returned from Afghanistan safe and sound. YAY on both accounts!

We had a repair service man come check out the camper. He told us that the converter was definitely toast and that there had been a recall on our model of the centurion converter. That he would investigate and see if we might get a replacement for free.

That was the last we heard from him. Left several messages and so forth. I hope nothing happened to him- we left our last meeting with him on very good terms. As for the free replacement, I don't want to get into a maze of locating a company that is no longer open for business- blah, blah, blah.

I spoke with Randy at Best Converter in Boise, ID (thank you for the referral JohnB) and he told me that he recommended the American CS6000XL 60 Amp Converter Power Center as a replacement. SO, I ordered it. I'm excited! Supposedly it's the drop in replacement for our toasted centurion.

From now until it's arrival I will be scouring the site here in hopes there are instructions in the mechanical/repair related forum for the 'how to' install it. I will also be educating myself on inverters/batteries, all things electrical so I may one day have a sound electrical system in place in my beloved Solaris!

I appreciate so much this site!

Big Smiles,
Suzie

Old 05-18-2011, 08:37 PM   #23

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Suzie

Glad things on the home front are doing well and son is home safe. That is great news.

Yes Best Convertor has been good to work with. A few tips I can pass along on the convertor install.

Before unhooking anything, take real good detail pictures of your existing setup. If needed you can post to help tell us what you had and ask questions. Plus the memory of a picture doesn't forget ...

Did you buy just the convertor circuit board itself or a complete convertor with the case, AC portion and DC fuses? Just the convertor board is easier on the hook up as there is less wire to deal with but both can be done.

If you have a complete convertor swap, there are several wires to move from one to the other. Since there is a qty of 120 VAC in the complete change option the system this takes someone who is familiar with working with household electrical wiring skills at a minimum. These skills understand the risks and precautions working with this voltage. A friend who is an electrician will have zero issues doing the conversion as it does not have to be a RV repair person.

Heads up on the color of the wires. Especially the white wire. White has been used (often) as the 12 VDC common in many cases and so is the 120 VAC common wire. Those white wires are truly different and the 2 sources should not connect with each other inside the camper. Doing so will create issues with proper grounding in your camper.

You will find in the convertor box what we call a buss strip, it is a terminal strip with a bunch of screws in it. One will be for the 120 VAC common and one will be for the earth grounds coming from the 120 volt wall plugs and appliances, green or bare copper wire attached to it.

There is a bunch of white wires coming from the 12VDC circuits and at least on mine Sunline bunched them up on a terminal strip outside the convertor box. There are still some white 12VDC wires inside the convertor box as well to note where they go.

See these pics. This is my old one with the cover off. You can see the 2 bus terminal strips.

And here a close up, one is for the grounds and the 2nd for the 120 VAC common.

We nick name this "rats nest"... but this is how they do it in the RV world. The convertor pulled from the cabinet showing the 12 VDC wiring all bunched togehter

A close up you can see the 12 VDC terminal strip screwed into the rug

Screw tightness. In a camper that rolls down the road screws in the convertor can loosen up over time. During the install a final tightness check on every screw is a good thing to do. And also a yearly check is good too. Even if the screw has no wire on it, tighten it up as the screw backing out and rolling around in the convertor is not a good thing.

The change out is straight forward for someone who has done electrical work before. If there are any questions post away and pics help a great deal.

And happy camping

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 PM   #24

SUN #891
ncmtngirl
Hi John!

Thank you for your continued instruction in order to help us power up our Solaris again-!

Funny, before we move any TV's, appliances, etc., we always, always take pictures before unplugging anything! It has come in handy more times than not when time to reconnect. So your recommendation to take pictures will certainly happen!

The converter we bought was an American CS6000. Randy at Best Convertor recommended it. Here is the link to it:

American CS6000 Converter

I'm hoping it's complete altho I expect there are other things that will need to be done in addition to replacing the converter.

I'm so glad my thread here in the forum has remained as you & the others have given us great advice. Like locating a short I suspect we will find again once we get started.

I will definitely find an electrician to come in and do what I know we have no business doing! I intend to stand close by however and make sure some of the things you and the others have recommended happens!

I do so appreciate the time you give to us here to better our camper/camping experiences!

Smiles to Ya-!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #25

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Suzie

That new American unit is a good one. TOntario (Ted) put one in his 2004 T2499 I think now 2 years ago. He had the older version too that had the cement mixer fans....

The unit you bought will be complete less the circuit breakers. You can reuse the old ones you now have. They should covert right over.

The new one will be so quite you will not even know it is on and it treats the battery better.

Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote