Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 AM   #1

SUN #1210
pirates55 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Solaris by Sunline

I have been looking at a used 2002 Solaris bunkhouse by sunline. Can anyone give me anything specific with this year and model to look for before writing the check. Are they still in business and can you get replacement parts should I need anything.

They say it hasn't been used much and they are asking $9,000 for it. What do you guys think. Is this a good deal?? This will be my first camper. I camped a lot as a child and my family still camps so my wife and I want one so we can vacation together at Myrtle Beach with the rest of the family. We have only one small child now but plan to have one more. I think this one is 27 ft long so I hope it will be plenty big enough until the kids are much older.

thanks in advance....Jason

Old 07-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #2

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jason

Welcome to your search for a Sunline as they are great coaches however everyone may not have cared for one the same. We will try to help you with your quest.

A few things, here is the 2002 Sunline brochure. Can you look and tell us what floor plan/model number it is? This may help trigger some questions especially if it is a slide room model. http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=223

The price you list seems high for the year but I do not know the model or the condition. However the end result is if a unit is in good condition is that you are happy with the purchase, as finding another one in that good a condition may not be easy either. Cost is a relative thing. However armed with some good looking info you may be able to point out some things and help lower the price OR know eyes wide open going in what to expect you may have to repair.

You mentioned Sunline still in business, unfortunately no. They went out in November 2006. But you found a very good resource on Sunlines here on this forum.

The appliances, stove, fridge, AC unit, water pump, power convertor, roof vents, awnings etc Sunline did not make, they selected them, bought and installed. And you can buy all those units either in parts or upgraded units if they are no longer current production models. I myself would not let the fact that Sunline went out of business stop me from getting a good camper. In fact the camper I have now was bought used and after Sunline went out of business. Sunlines are built better then many new campers on the market still today, so if you have found one in good condition, then do not fear it.

The biggest thing to look out for is water damage. Pending what it is, that can be a real big problem. You need to look all over, inside and out for water damage. Smell too as if it is wet wood, that smell does not go away. You need to look at all the roof seems for splits in the caulk where water can get in. Even if you cannot see it inside, a 1/32” to 1/8” or larger crack in caulking is a real heads up to look deeper. The caulk itself can be easily repaired no problem, the internal water damage is involved.

Tires, look for a date code on the tires. See here http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

If the tires are more then 5 years old, have signs of cracks in the threads or side walls, it is good practice if you start towing much with it to put new tires on. The seller may not know anything about this and the thread may have lots left, but they need to go. There are bad story after bad story on aging trailer tires. Point, you may need 5 new tires so figure accordingly. Yes the spare too.

Look to see for your self that all appliances work. They can be repaired however going in eyes wide open if you need a new fridge or AC unit is something to know. The fridge can take 8 hours to cool down from being jsut truned on. So tell the owner to have it on for you with a quart or 2 of water in a jug inside.

Care of the unit. Many RV’ers take great pride in there campers and they are in really good shape, and then there are others who to not take such good care. Just look at it, open every draw and cabinet.

Tell me if the unit has a slide room and I will type more where to look on the slide.

I’m sure others will have more to add, I only hit the bog ones during my lunch break. Good luck

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM   #3

SUN #1210
pirates55 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks John for all the info. The one I'm looking at is the T-267 SR. It has the bunks in the back left and the one slide on the opposite side. Its 27 feet long I believe.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #4

SUN #89
JohnB is on a distinguished road
Hi Jason

OK a slide camper and a 2002. Here see this post.

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...eck-11086.html

There is also a link on that post to my repair post. Water can get in those small black holes in the black waterproof and fester. Now, not all have this problem. Some of mine did not, and some did....

If you look under the slide you will see the holes. Push up, if it is hard as a brick, your good. Then if you buy it cover those holes up with Flexmend repair tape. See my post. If the floor is real soft in those corners, it is for sure sometihng to request a price reduction. I did my own repair but I have a shop at the house to allow me to do this. It may cost $800 to $1200 or more at a dealer to replace a slide floor.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.

John

Google Custom Search For Sunline Owners Club
JohnB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:22 AM   #5

SUN #1191
my2boys is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently bought the same unit (2002 T-267 SR). It had only been used a few times by the original owners. I had a lot of cleaning to do, mostly on the exterior. Replaced tires, tread was good but being they were original and showed some cracks it was worth the piece of mind. Replaced outside shower faucet and a few mini blind hold down brackets, really small stuff. i paid $6500.00 about a mont ago if this helps you any. After looking for a while i feel i got a great deal on this given the condition it is in. I am camping in it as we speak. Good luck