Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Sunline RV Forum
Sunline User Photos

Go Back   Sunline Coach Owner's Club > Model Specific Forums > Sunline Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Join Sunline Club Forums Today

Old 04-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #1

SUN #2041
dane04 is an unknown quantity at this point
1998 Sunline Solaris

Hi Everyone,
I will be driving across country shortly and was looking for a camper to do this. I came across a 1998 sunline solaris mint condition 24 footer. I do not know much about campers where I have always been a "tent" guy until now. They want $5,500 for it which seems like a great deal after looking around but wanted to see what you all thought. Anything to look for in this year?

I will also be pulling it with an F250 6.0 powerstroke. How does this pull and what type of MPG are you getting?

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:21 PM   #2

SUN #123
Sunline Fan is an unknown quantity at this point
Dane,

The price really depends on the true condition of it. Blue book value on it is currently $2,370, but that seems low to me. For the year/size of the trailer, I'd say a fair value is like $3500-$4500 in the current market.

Here's what I'd watch out for:
- Make sure all appliances work, particularly the water heater and refrigerator. Don't test the electric side of the water heater without water in it.
- Watch out for water damage. It's usually indicated by smells, ripples in the ceiling panels, or discolored vinyl flooring. This is prevented by keeping the roof sealed on a regular basis. If you find any, sometimes it's not too bad if it's caught early, but otherwise it could lead to rotting framing.
- To make a trip cross country, make sure you re-pack and inspect the wheel bearings. Depending on the production plant it was built in, the frame manufacturer forgot to pack some of the bearings from the factory. It's probably ok if it was a mobile trailer (probably would have been found), but if it was set up in a campground until now, it may not have been taken care of.
- Make sure you check all the lights for operation
- Even if there are no leaks, check the roof seams and re-seal any cracked areas with Dicor 501 roof sealant from an RV dealer (available in a caulk type tube).

For a 6.0 PSD, assuming you have a 3.73 rear end, I'm going to guess you'd get about 13 mpg, but that's just about what I've heard from people. Your best asset would be to PM clarkldc (Larry) since he is pulling a similarly sized trailer with an '07 F-250 6.0 PSD.

Jon

2007 T-286SR Cherry/Granola, #6236, original owner, current mileage: 9473.8 (as of 6/18/21)
1997 T-2653 Blue Denim, #5471
1979 12 1/2' MC, Beige & Avocado, #4639
Past Sunlines: '97 T-2653 #5089, '94 T-2251, '86 T-1550, '94 T-2363, '98 T-270SR
Sunline Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #3

SUN #855
Peety_Sunliner
You will be fine towing it, as long as it is in good condition. I have a 1998 Solaris too. I did a 10000 mile trip this past summer from Savannah, ga to AL,MS,LS,TX,NM, CO,AZ,UT,ID,MT,WY,SD,NE,KS,IA,IL,KY,TN,NC,SC and,home. I averged about 15MPG and that was with a 2009 F150. The only problem I had was in going across TX I hit a bad hole and bent a spindle on the rear axle, not a defect just "good" texas roads. Make sure the brakes are working and adjusted correctly. I tested them in Utah with a HARD panic stop. Look at the tires, if they are over 5 years old, replace them. Its cheaper than a repair to the coach after a single blow-out. I have a new dinette thanks to a blow-out I had 5 years ago.

You will love your Sunline and all the comments people will make while your on the road. I have tow'd many a trailer and a Sunline follows so good you will forget its there